U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Cruises
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-05-2010, 07:21 PM

11,833 posts, read 26,816,107 times

Advertisements

Do you absolutely have to have a passport or passport card to cruise fron FL to the Bahamas? I heard from some friends that they went on and only used their license and birth certificate recently. Is this true?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2010, 07:33 PM

3,330 posts, read 8,786,426 times
WHTI | Western Hemisphere Travel Initiative | USA

Yes. You need a passport or passport card.

Actually..maybe not. From the same link:
"Closed Loop" Cruises: U.S. citizens who board a cruise ship at a port within the United States, travel only within the Western Hemisphere, and return to the same U.S. port on the same ship may present a government issued photo identification, along with proof of citizenship (an original or copy of his or her birth certificate, a Consular report of Birth Abroad, or a Certificate of Naturalization). Please be aware that you may still be required to present a passport to enter the foreign countries your cruise ship is visiting. Check with your cruise line to ensure you have the appropriate documents.

Old 11-05-2010, 10:57 PM

5,328 posts, read 11,053,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vter View Post
Please be aware that you may still be required to present a passport to enter the foreign countries your cruise ship is visiting.
Says it all does it not ???

You MAY be required .....
So better have it with you anyway !!

Old 11-06-2010, 06:33 AM

21,369 posts, read 24,115,390 times
Check your DMV. They may have a combo drivers lic/passport card. A passport card is valid only for international land and sea travel between the US, Canada, Mexico the Caribbean and Bermuda. Past that carry your passport.

Old 11-08-2010, 07:43 PM

8,225 posts, read 14,937,379 times
It is still advisable to have a passport. Say you go to the Bahamas on a cruise. Something happens. You get injured (minor slip and fall) or there is a family emergency and, in either case, you can't return by cruise ship but want/need to return by air. Sorry, without a passport, it will be much more complicated. I wouldn't travel without one.

The requirements for getting one aren't all that difficult. I needed certified copies of: my birth certificate; marriage license (because of name change), and my driver's license along with the pictures. Then you fill out a form, take it to the post office or, if you're in a rush because your ship leaves in 3 days, run off to the nearest passport office - get there early in the morning, return at the end of the day and the only thing extra you need is proof of urgency - cruise documents.

Old 11-09-2010, 07:10 AM

8,178 posts, read 16,551,943 times
I took my Mom to Nassau on a cruise earlier this year. All she needed was her birth certificate.

Vter has this one covered.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Cruises