U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Cruises
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-18-2011, 07:22 AM

8,227 posts, read 15,008,717 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggy001 View Post
Glad you enjoyed Barcelona. My sister lives there and we visit quite often. It is a great city.
It IS a great city - of all the places we visited, I think I love Barcelona the most. I loved what I saw as the pride of home - minimal to no graffiti, litter; even the considerate way they drive!; the people were wonderfully friendly no matter where we walked or got lost; my spanish is horrendous yet people were not at all offended as I tried to communicate (mostly for directions as my husband's mapreading skills are not the best); clean, bright, friendly, oh my I want to return. I fell in love with Barcelona in 2 days.

The only thing that I would change about the city is to stop the waste from further building that sagrada famiglia. It's time to make it a useful structure! More of the same only makes it more stupid. Having the cranes as a permanent blight on the skyline and the seeming permanent building site as opposed to just stopping and finishing off the inside!

Next time we visit Barcelona, I want to go outside the city, to see more of the country - or should I say State of Catalunya. And I want to play ping pong on the table "in the street" near the B&B where we stayed. And I want to go back to Ana's B&B - incredible experience and a marvelous hostess; and I want to see more of Las Palmas - the middle we didn't get to see at all and I want to taste more local food (I had severe jetlag and my stomach was not interested in ANY tasting), and I want to see a futbal (?sp) match. What pride you could hear from our taxi driver as he recommended we see that night's game.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2011, 11:39 AM

249 posts, read 397,732 times
The point of the situation....

I am going to France since it is "home" (originally, at least, now I am not sure anymore ), and my daughter is getting married (second time ) in Lausanne. All those people living very far away from each other cost a lot of money !!!

The cruise is going to cost me about $1600.... more than a flight now, but I hope I will enjoy it. I found out that I can already meet my fellow travelers, that's nice! And I should arrive relaxed, unlike after a night folded in 4 in a plane... two in fact, since there is no direct flight Tampa-Paris.

After a long search I found a great Rome-Paris ticket (1st class, for 65 euros). If you are interested, go to Billet de train : réserver un voyage en train pas cher (TGV, iDTGV, Eurostar). The problem is you have to get it mailed to an address in France. You have the same rate (and the same requirement) with Trenitalia - HomePage. It is not very difficult to understand either French or Italian, numbers are the same . So, if you have an hotel you can have send to it. Same ticket with Rail Europe is $206. Compare!!!

Now I have to book a room in Rome, then... all the rest .

Thanks for your help. I can help with Paris, if you are interested.

Old 03-18-2011, 05:42 PM

38,913 posts, read 20,237,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NY Annie View Post
May I suggest you fly cross country and take one of the cruises out of Florida. Cruises up to a week are now going for under $400 pp, so you could get a cabin for $800 and there's now a fare war on domestic flights.

We are looking at 3 now: Jamaica and some islands; Puerto Rico and a couple more places; and Bermuda. None of them go to ports in Mexico since that is what you wish to avoid.

We have had good luck booking directly through Carnival and getting better prices than any others we can find online through any of the cruise discounters - and often with upgrades and the same with airlines - we look and search through cheapflights and whatever and then book direct with the airline for an even better price.
I may revisit that idea ... I'm just not into beaches, snorkeling or water sports so not sure if I would be bored on the islands ...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Cruises
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or