U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Cruises
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-21-2011, 05:07 AM

39 posts, read 46,312 times

Advertisements

Hi,

Does anyone have any opinions/advice on good cruise lines to Alaska. I'm planning a cruise (inside passage) with my g/f. We are in our 30's (31 and 38).

Yes, I know about Cruise Critic. I just want some local opinions.

The cruise lines I'm considering are Princess and NCL. We both are not fans of fancy dress up formal dinners, sitting with people you don't know. We are seeking alone time and free-style dining.

As a night-owl, I am seeking a cruise line that has SOME nightlife, although we are NOT seeking a young, drunk partying crowd.

24 hr. room service/cafes are a must too. (For me, lol

Can you also give me a good time to visit Alaska. Any and all ideas/advice welcome. I think Holland and Celebrity are too rigid with dress code and dining.

Are rooms with a veranda/balcy' worth it? Like I said, I'd appreciate all advice!

Planning to go summer/fall 2012

Thank you very much!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2011, 05:02 AM

Hmmm, no one has cruised out of a Seattle port to Alaska???

Old 02-22-2011, 06:39 PM

1,993 posts, read 2,976,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atjl72 View Post
I want to take my mother on such a cruise, and was hoping someone would answer you. Perhaps you'd be better off asking this question in another forum such as CA? Maybe 99% of the people taking the Seattle to Alaska cruises are flying in from elsewhere.

Old 02-22-2011, 08:55 PM

14,283 posts, read 24,060,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atjl72 View Post
The cruises to through the Inside Passage leave from Vancouver, BC, not Seattle.

Old 02-22-2011, 10:36 PM

39,634 posts, read 47,921,590 times
Actually the last Alaska cruise we went on, which was Princess, was from Seattle. We flew from Phoenix to Seattle and boarded there then on to Inside Passage and ended up at Vancouver and departed in Vancouver flying back to Phoenix.

On Princess, as well as other lines, you do not have to participate in the formal dress up and dining experience. Many people dress in casual, and eat along with the dress up diners. Also many who do not want to dress up and feel out of place in the formal dining just go eat at the 24hr buffett.

Don't let this issue keep you from cruising, you'll miss a lot of fun.

Old 02-24-2011, 05:28 AM

Thank you for the replies.

I do know Princess ports/embarks out of San Fran and does the inside passage...just confirmed, NCL embarks out of Seattle to inside passage.

I think I'll go with NCL barring any new info from Cruise Critic.

Old 03-02-2011, 11:47 AM

8,317 posts, read 11,165,149 times
All I can add is that my friends took NCL and talked more about the extra charges than anything else. I think the key is to be AWARE of which restaurants you pay extra for and which you don't etc. Have a wonderful trip!

Old 03-07-2011, 01:59 PM

5,198 posts, read 13,398,522 times
Alaskan cruises do tend to be a bit "less formal" than some other destinations...and Princess is the Alaskan pioneer in cruising!

Nightlife will vary from cruise to cruise, even on the same ship. It's all up to the passenger mix...and on Alaskan cruises, folks tend to be tired after the all-day excursions and adventures. Every cruiseline offers 24 hour room service.
I think balconies are worth it, if it doesn't break the bank!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Cruises