U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Cruises
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-23-2011, 10:41 AM

1,339 posts, read 2,252,594 times

Advertisements

Has anyone been on any cruises with National Geographic / Lindblad ??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2011, 02:39 PM

5,260 posts, read 3,309,355 times
I did the South Georgia/Falklands cruise last October/November on National Geographic Explorer. It was my first cruise ever, and the only reason I did it, was because of the Friends and Family discount I got (there's no way I could afford a cruise like that). Overall the cruise was amazing, even though I was one of the youngest passengers by about 25 to 30 years. The food was like eating at a 5-star restaurant each night.

What cruise are you looking at? I know most of the people that work on the Explorer. I'm thinking about doing the Galápagos cruise next.

Last edited by cjseliga; 02-23-2011 at 02:48 PM..

Old 02-23-2011, 03:08 PM

42,663 posts, read 74,212,583 times
Lindblad is one of the most expensive cruise lines in the world, and specialize in destinations that nobody else goes to, like Antarctica. For Antarctica, their prices run in the neighborhood of a thousand dollars a day per person.

Old 02-23-2011, 03:11 PM

My god there are loads I would go on tomorrow !!

I like the Antarctica one - on the Explorer 14 Days, maybe with Easter Island,

The Galapagos ones look good too..or maybe Galapagos with Peru,

Machu Picchu and the Inca Land.... There are also a couple of land trips with Nat Geo I like the look of....

I like the cruise idea as it doesn't look at all like a 'suntan and screamers' cruise...

What was the average age of your cruise ??

I have a friend coming to visit and I am going to see if he fancies doing one trip too as Hubby isn't too keen on all the ones I like... The single supplements are quite high....

They are quite expensive but look like a great experience....

Old 02-23-2011, 03:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
Lindblad is one of the most expensive cruise lines in the world, and specialize in destinations that nobody else goes to, like Antarctica.
yeah but they have smaller boats and its not going to have screaming kids..... worth the extra for me

Old 02-23-2011, 03:59 PM

5,260 posts, read 3,309,355 times
I like the Antarctica one - on the Explorer 14 Days, maybe with Easter Island,

I've actually lived in Antarctica on the peninsula for two winters and a total of 13 months. It's a pretty nice cruise they do to "the Ice" and you get to see a lot of the peninsula, and even the chance to stop by and visit my home away from home Palmer Station.

I actually went to Easter Island, after my first winter on "the Ice" back in 2008, but not with Lindblad, but I heard great things about the optional side trip that they do there.

Machu Picchu and the Inca Land.... There are also a couple of land trips with Nat Geo I like the look of....

I actually did Machu Picchu and the Inca trail after my cruise last year, but not with Lindblad, but like the Easter Island trip, I heard that it's a pretty good trip. Too bad my friends and family deal, only gets me a discount on the cruises!

I like the cruise idea as it doesn't look at all like a 'suntan and screamers' cruise...

What was the average age of your cruise ??

I would say the average age was late 50's to early 60's, and this was a very "seasoned" Lindblad cruise bunch, meaning they have been on numerous Lindblad cruises, even the same cruise multiple times. I think we had 110 or so passengers (out of a 140 max), and they had a total of like 930 Lindblad cruises that they have been on. That's on average of over 8 cruises per passenger. Like I said that was my first, but many people had 4, 5, 10, 15, and then you have the outliers that have been on 40+ Lindblad cruises.

I'm in my early 30's and was the youngest of the passengers, but we had people in their 80's as well, that would get in and out of those Zodiacs for shore landings (I hope I'm able to that when I'm 80!). I never felt akward at all, even though I'm a lowly contract worker/unemployed vagabum, and people that I ate breakfast, lunch and dinner with, were not only millionaries, but multi-millionaries, that probably had my yearly salary, in their wallet in cash! There's also plently of people that weren't millionaires as well, but they weren't really poor either. They kept on thinking I was a part of the crew as a Naturalist, which was fine, since I knew a lot of the science/biology of where we were going even though I've never been there before.

While transiting the crew does a good job at having programs throughout the day to keep you busy and you'll able to learn the history and science of where you're going and what you'll be seeing. I even got a chance to meet Sven Lindblad the owner/president of the company, he was on the first leg of our three week cruise, and he's quite the character, to say the least.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Cruises