Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Cruises
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-28-2011, 11:19 AM

469 posts, read 1,328,249 times

Advertisements

Hey! We are florida residents with young children wanting to learn about the cruise options for families. We incorporate our kids in everything we do and would love to take them on a cruise. We don't just want a cruise with babysitters and arcades. We want something that offers fun and possibly learning experiences for families to enjoy together. Like a tour when we get to an island etc... Kids are 10, 7, 4 and love water so the pool quality on the ship is a must! No need for fancy clubs, nightlife quality. A drink by the pool is our idea of "adult fun.". Throw out the options/experiences and I'll take it from there!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2011, 01:50 PM

26,585 posts, read 62,038,899 times
Disney

Old 03-28-2011, 04:10 PM

859 posts, read 2,828,901 times
Disney X 2

They have activities for the kids and the adults can go have a good time while the kids are WELL cared for.

Old 03-28-2011, 05:57 PM

44,628 posts, read 61,611,846 times
Disney X 3 . You'll have a great family time bar none.

Old 07-17-2012, 03:12 AM

228 posts, read 1,000,930 times
I think your kids would probably love any cruise. There are so many things to do for your children's ages. Disney is great, but so are the other lines. I would find a ship going to ports that you might be interested in, and book it! Your children will probably have so much fun, they will not want to join you at all, but instead have their own fun! Dot

Old 07-17-2012, 01:31 PM

5,404 posts, read 15,994,442 times
Depending where you go will depend on what "learning experiences" you get. Caribbean cruises don't offer too much "history"....but Alaska has stupendous sightseeing, and Europe has the historical value.....guess it depends what you want to "learn"!

There is so much to do on a ship, and any cruiseline will suit...they are truly more similar than different. All of the mass-market lines will have kid's activities, pools and other fun things to do. Make sure the 4 year old is out of diapers....diapers and ship pools do NOT mix!

As far as ports, researching them will allow you to choose the things you want to do in each place. Ships offer excursions, or you can book private excursions, or just know where and what you want to do and how to do it (that's where the guidebook comes in handy...get one!)

Old 07-18-2012, 08:59 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,726,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DotLib View Post
I think your kids would probably love any cruise. There are so many things to do for your children's ages. Disney is great, but so are the other lines. I would find a ship going to ports that you might be interested in, and book it! Your children will probably have so much fun, they will not want to join you at all, but instead have their own fun! Dot
you have hit the nail on the head. Crusing is a wonderful family experience and anyone that doesn't enjoy it, as a family has different idea on fun than most of us.

So many talk Disney, well, I can tell you, Disney isn't for all families, they are very much geared to the younger cruisers. I am a retired travel agent, I know from reports when families returned from various cruises, kids from about 9 or 10 upwards enjoy other lines more than Disney. Of course I am generalizing. there are exceptions to every rule.

You are right, the kids often would rather believe their parents do not exist and any itinerary will work for kids. Heck, if they haven't seen any of the places, they will be thrilled with whatever.

Old 07-18-2012, 09:01 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,726,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cb at sea View Post
Depending where you go will depend on what "learning experiences" you get. Caribbean cruises don't offer too much "history"....but Alaska has stupendous sightseeing, and Europe has the historical value.....guess it depends what you want to "learn"!

There is so much to do on a ship, and any cruiseline will suit...they are truly more similar than different. All of the mass-market lines will have kid's activities, pools and other fun things to do. Make sure the 4 year old is out of diapers....diapers and ship pools do NOT mix!

As far as ports, researching them will allow you to choose the things you want to do in each place. Ships offer excursions, or you can book private excursions, or just know where and what you want to do and how to do it (that's where the guidebook comes in handy...get one!)
This is all great information for everyone, but I am smiling, realizing you are answering a poster who posted a year and 1/2 ago. I bet they already cruised, what do you think?

Old 07-23-2012, 08:50 PM

12,200 posts, read 18,375,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
This is all great information for everyone, but I am smiling, realizing you are answering a poster who posted a year and 1/2 ago. I bet they already cruised, what do you think?
Lol we should dm them for an update

Old 08-10-2012, 11:53 PM

141 posts, read 426,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post

That is the cool thing about these forums. Even though the original poster, posted a year and a half ago. My husband and I are currently talking about making our 2013 family vacation a cruise. And we are getting a lot of good information from this. THANK YOU!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Cruises