U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Cruises
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-28-2011, 04:29 PM

12,256 posts, read 16,201,261 times

Advertisements

Hi All!
My friends and I are going on a 3 night Bahamas cruise on May 5th. We'll only actually be in the Bahamas one day so we're trying to decide our shore excursions.

Has anyone done anything that they would recommend to definitely do or definitely avoid?

I wanted to ride a Seadoo or maybe go water skiing or on a zip line; one of my friends wants to do Atlantis Beach day where you explore the resort and another wants to do glass bottom boat tours or snorkleing.

Any ideas, comments or suggestions would be great.
Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2011, 04:51 PM

9,028 posts, read 16,421,659 times
I would go to cruise critic webpage and look at not only your ship detail, but also the web forum for the particular port .... there will be a lot of discussion on the port, prices, crowds, etc

Old 03-28-2011, 06:16 PM

26,590 posts, read 54,571,346 times
I'd stay on the boat and enjoy the amenities and lack of crowds rather than get off in the Bahamas.

Old 03-28-2011, 06:19 PM

134 posts, read 259,176 times
I've spent a fair bit of time in Gibraltar.

You could tell when the cruise ships were coming in.

All the prices doubled.

Old 03-29-2011, 07:50 AM

4,883 posts, read 3,971,953 times
I have found Carnival Shore Excursions to be very over priced, but at the same time, very convenient. Deciding on the shore excursion vs going on your own depends on the location.

As for Nassau, Atlantis is pricey but is a "must see". At least Once.
You can get a cab over to Atlantis, and pay the admission/day fee which may come out cheaper than the one posted on the shore excursion.
I am guessing that your cruise spends a day at a private island? I know on RC they have a private Island (Cococay) They have Seedos to rent there albeit pricey. The beach at the private island will be cleaner and quieter than the ones around Nassau.
As for Nassau, we never do the shore excursion, just wander amilessly downtown. Stop at the Straw Market, as in, that is as far as you go. You don't walk to the neighborhood past that.

Old 03-30-2011, 01:23 PM

5,188 posts, read 13,347,698 times
Don't waste time and money on a Glass Bottom boat...not worth it at all!
Atlantis is expensive, but there is a public beach very near Atlantis!

Old 03-30-2011, 08:37 PM

1,238 posts, read 4,039,109 times
If you are in Nassau (you will be if Atlantis is an option), and you like to shop, the straw market is the place to start. However, after about 15 minutes everything looks the same. Incredibly crowded and claustrophobic. They are also quite aggressive about sales. Do go downtown. There are some good restaurants to get local food (conch fritters, etc.) and some pricey stores (real Gucci, expensive watches, etc). A few blocks over are the knock-off stores. There is also a kind of corny but fun pirate "museum". The traffic is awful however. I was not really impressed with the town of Nassau.
If you want to experience the ocean, a catamaran snorkel trip is a lot of fun, or a sailboat snorkel. I have been told the beaches are great, but we did not have time to see them as we were shopping...
PLEASE don't stay on the boat! You are in a foreign country, at least get out and see it!
Personally, I liked Freeport better-smaller, cleaner and the people seemed happier.
If Half Moon Cay is on your list of ports, you will enjoy it. That is Carnival's private island and it is beautiful. Not very good for snorkeling but the water is clear, the sand is white, and there is lots to do (some of it for an extra fee). I'm assuming you have looked at it, as well as the excursion options on the Carnival website.
Have a great time!

Old 03-31-2011, 03:04 PM

21,318 posts, read 21,872,221 times
We went to the Adastra Botantical Gardens, strolled through the straw market and relaxed at the British Colonial Hilton and had an enjoyable stay and were glad to see a bit of the area. I believe there is an old fort that gets plenty of positive reviews. You could also sign up for "races" aboard one of the former Ameica's Cup boats that are pretty reasonable in price as I recall. Personally, I wasn't looking forward to paying a hundred bucks for the privledge of buying over-priced, food & beverage at Atlantis.

Adastra Gardens...

America's Cup Yachts...

British Colonial Hilton (next to Straw Market)...

Old 04-01-2011, 09:19 PM

7,185 posts, read 11,224,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghengis View Post
You could also sign up for "races" aboard one of the former Ameica's Cup boats that are pretty reasonable in price as I recall. Personally, I wasn't looking forward to paying a hundred bucks for the privledge of buying over-priced, food & beverage at Atlantis.
Sadly, the America's Cup adventure is not an option in Nassau. We were in Nassau this past January and this is something I wanted to do. However, on their website, they post that they are not operating. The boats are still there at the docks. Welcome - Sail Nassau

Our second choice for the day was to lounge at the British Colonial Hilton. It's so close, you can easily see this property right from the cruise piers. The day we were in Nassau in January, it was overcast and chilly. We just didn't want to spend the money to be shivering on the beach!

Instead, we walked around the shops in town. We eventually wound up at the Bacardi store and then strolled back to the ship. We were shocked to learn that the entire block we were on had been devastated by fire just a couple of weeks later!!!

YouTube - Febuary 14 Fire at Port of Nassau from the Disney Dream
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Cruises
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or