U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Cruises
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-01-2011, 05:27 PM

1 posts, read 1,592 times

Advertisements

In regards to tipping, we resent being told/auto-charged on our ship board account. We cruise often and we wish to tip accordingly dependent on the service we have received. The point is that we believe tipping is up to the individual and extra compensation should be given, where it is particularly deserved. It is probably true that some of the cruise lines do not compensate their employees at a reasonable level, by American standards. For some reason, though, workers from particular countries seems to predominate the crew positions on the cruise ships. You won't find many American crew members working on board. In talking with some of the crew on the wait staff, that reside from other countries, working the ships seems to be better than the employment they can get in their countries & more lucrative, allowing them to support their families well. And let's not forget that many living expenses are covered for these crew members. On a personal note, we just received a home gas bill for $500 for 2 months of use, though the two of us conserve our usage everyday. When you consider that certain crew members consider working the ships better than the jobs they can get at home, covered living expenses, and additional tips from passengers, it doesn't seem to be a bad deal at all. Not everyone can work and save enough money to buy their own restaurant, not even in the United States- especially these days (really past few years).

Somewhere on the internet, we had seen a picture of a posting in a crew hallway that listed the names of the passengers who had adjusted the tips on their cruise bill. Well, you might say that there wouldn't be any retaliation toward those passengers, as the posting appears on the bulletin board at the end of the cruise. But what about those passengers that like to do back-to-back cruises and adjust the tips so they can tip more to individual crew members who are deserving? We believe that when we have felt it necessary to adjust the automatic tips, that the service we receive then seems to decrease on the next cruise- possible retaliation. Is it not our decision how much to tip and to whom? Parts of Asia and parts of Europe do not traditionally tip, as well may be the custom in other parts of the world. Is it then the main responsibility of the Americans on board to subsidize what some would consider a low salary? On our last cruise, which was a triple back-to-back, we left the automatic tips on the first voyage, then adjusted the tips and tipped individually after that. We felt the list had been posted, as our third segment cruise showed signs of reduced service. Additionally, we always notice the tables who order bottles of wine get superior service. Which begs the question: What about those who don't drink or those in AA- Reduced service for them? In our opinion, tipping should not be obligatory but should be voluntary. An older man we know put it best: "I worked hard in a service profession for many years & no one ever gave me any tips."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2011, 05:45 PM

9,136 posts, read 17,198,797 times
Since most people time beween cruises is so big, no/low tippers are not going to tracked, tacked up on the wall etc. Most of the staff will have turned over by the time you take a cruise again. As for auto-charging, You can go the ships purser desk/office a day or two before the end of the trip and tell them not to auto-charge you. At that point they will give you (or your cabin steward on the last night) will give you envelopes for you to use.

Old 06-02-2011, 08:46 AM

1,559 posts, read 3,192,453 times
I think the reason they auto-charge is because some folks are so wasted by the end of the trip - they'd never pay tips. For some it makes it convenient and one less thing they need to worry about. I'm not offended either way...I mean - I've got more things to worry about than whether or not the line wants to auto-charge me which I then politely ask them to take off the bill before the end of the cruise because I like to hand the tip to the individual personally.

Yes, there are lots of workers from the same countries and if you talked to them about it you'd know that they have companies in those countries which then work to get those individuals jobs with the cruise lines.

If you're getting your panties in a wad about a common practice among the 'larger' cruise lines - you must cruise more often to loosen up. Enjoy the cruise - and as far as the practice of posting who tipped and who didn't....I think that was a hoax. Since many cruisers tip in cash....the list wouldn't even be remotely accurate. I think you are a tad paranoid...maybe...so you definitely need another cruise

Don't take my comments personally, it's just my dry sense of humor kicking in.

Old 06-02-2011, 09:03 AM

1,096 posts, read 4,099,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by travelcafe View Post
In regards to tipping, we resent being told/auto-charged on our ship board account. We cruise often and we wish to tip accordingly dependent on the service we have received. The point is that we believe tipping is up to the individual and extra compensation should be given, where it is particularly deserved. It is probably true that some of the cruise lines do not compensate their employees at a reasonable level, by American standards. For some reason, though, workers from particular countries seems to predominate the crew positions on the cruise ships. You won't find many American crew members working on board. In talking with some of the crew on the wait staff, that reside from other countries, working the ships seems to be better than the employment they can get in their countries & more lucrative, allowing them to support their families well. And let's not forget that many living expenses are covered for these crew members. On a personal note, we just received a home gas bill for $500 for 2 months of use, though the two of us conserve our usage everyday. When you consider that certain crew members consider working the ships better than the jobs they can get at home, covered living expenses, and additional tips from passengers, it doesn't seem to be a bad deal at all. Not everyone can work and save enough money to buy their own restaurant, not even in the United States- especially these days (really past few years).

Somewhere on the internet, we had seen a picture of a posting in a crew hallway that listed the names of the passengers who had adjusted the tips on their cruise bill. Well, you might say that there wouldn't be any retaliation toward those passengers, as the posting appears on the bulletin board at the end of the cruise. But what about those passengers that like to do back-to-back cruises and adjust the tips so they can tip more to individual crew members who are deserving? We believe that when we have felt it necessary to adjust the automatic tips, that the service we receive then seems to decrease on the next cruise- possible retaliation. Is it not our decision how much to tip and to whom? Parts of Asia and parts of Europe do not traditionally tip, as well may be the custom in other parts of the world. Is it then the main responsibility of the Americans on board to subsidize what some would consider a low salary? On our last cruise, which was a triple back-to-back, we left the automatic tips on the first voyage, then adjusted the tips and tipped individually after that. We felt the list had been posted, as our third segment cruise showed signs of reduced service. Additionally, we always notice the tables who order bottles of wine get superior service. Which begs the question: What about those who don't drink or those in AA- Reduced service for them? In our opinion, tipping should not be obligatory but should be voluntary. An older man we know put it best: "I worked hard in a service profession for many years & no one ever gave me any tips."
This is prety wild but I have a solution for you...DONT GO ON CRUISES!!!

I think the concept is cool but don't want a bunch of rules and structure to my vacation so I choose to vacation elsewhere. I'm free to tip what I want, go where I want when I want. It's wonderful.

Old 06-02-2011, 09:11 AM

1,559 posts, read 3,192,453 times
Keep in mind that the majority of the cruise lines are not American owned or not solely American owned....so 'American' standards doesn't have to be the practice. They don't have to pay 'minimum wage' or anything like that.

Old 06-02-2011, 10:44 AM

1,744 posts, read 3,205,633 times
For those that receive great service and decide to tip more than the recommended amount, please know that there are some cruise lines that do not allow the employee to keep the extra and that extra is put into a mutual pot that is shared. Any employees found not adhearing to this and keeping the extra are reprimanded.

Old 06-04-2011, 03:51 PM

4,900 posts, read 3,987,670 times
I always do the prepaid Tips just to have it out of the way and not to have to worry about it.
IF I were to get stuck with bad service, and that rarely does not happen, I'd simply take it up ASAP with the person in charge, the chief steward, the Matre'd whomever.
As for extra tips, the last night of the cruise I take envelopes with cash around, and I seek out those people who remembered by name and what my favorite drink was the whole week, and if the dining staff was outstanding I give them a little extra too. I had one guy that was the bar waiter in the dining room, but during the day he worked at the pool, and remembered our names and our brand. yeah, he got paid a lot extra. I have found that the employees really seem to appreciate this . Some people on the cruise ship will remember your name, and will go out of their way to treat you like a king while you are on their ship. SO My theory is, I have the money, why not pay them extra? If I could not afford it, I wouldn't be on the ship to begin with......

Old 06-05-2011, 04:30 PM

7,189 posts, read 11,252,045 times
RE: Post 11

Don't like auto tips? Then simply don't cruise on an auto tip cruise line! There are alot of cruisers like me that prefer the convenience of auto tipping and then we also tip above and beyond to deserving individuals. Geesh!

Old 06-18-2011, 08:31 PM

38,901 posts, read 20,205,911 times
The automatic tipping, over-priced excursions and double occupancy pricing makes cruising an unattractive option for this solo traveler!

Old 06-18-2011, 09:19 PM

9,136 posts, read 17,198,797 times
^^ Tell them not to auto tip, Book excursion yourself, There are a few that do Singles now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Cruises