U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Cruises
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-18-2011, 09:56 PM

166 posts, read 325,618 times

Advertisements

My wife gets free coupon books from a nonprofit, and they make excellent gratuities. A coupon for 2 for 1 at Applebee's or a Free Sundae would bring a smile to anyone. They didn't cost us a thing, and I'm sure each person who receives them appreciates their usefulness. A real win-win.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2011, 11:52 PM

39,642 posts, read 47,934,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TaylorRothschild View Post
My wife gets free coupon books from a nonprofit, and they make excellent gratuities. A coupon for 2 for 1 at Applebee's or a Free Sundae would bring a smile to anyone. They didn't cost us a thing, and I'm sure each person who receives them appreciates their usefulness. A real win-win.
That's a nice gesture, but the majority of cruise employees are foreign employees and are lucky to get 2 hours off ship every 2 weeks. They contract work for 6 months, get a month off at their country home residence and if they re-sign it's for another 6 months on board the ship. They get very little free time.

Old 06-22-2011, 07:02 AM

4,905 posts, read 3,989,682 times
We were on A Royal Caribbean cruise last week. I asked one of the bar-servers about the tips. He told us that whenever you buy a drink, any drink, whether a sprite or a top shelf mixed drink, the tip is included (And itemized on the bill) Those tips, he said, are split between all bar staff. IF however, you add an additional dollar, then that dollar goes only to him.
The last day I handed my favorite poolside bar server an envelope with cash. He not only spent the week remembering my favorite brand and having it ready when I wanted it, but remembered my name too. Very nice addition to the cruise.

Old 06-22-2011, 01:14 PM

491 posts, read 1,335,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vermonter16 View Post
Keep in mind that the majority of the cruise lines are not American owned or not solely American owned....so 'American' standards doesn't have to be the practice. They don't have to pay 'minimum wage' or anything like that.

Yes, I agree, even some of the American ships are not registered in the US, but registered somewhere offshore such as the Carribean, so they don't have to follow any US law.
We befriended one service attendant and after a week of sailing, one can't generalize but we pretty much saw and understood that they work their ass off. They have to, they can be easily replaced. Most of the employees we encountered on the RC and Celebrity were foreigners just trying to make a living.

If you are satiesfied with the service, I would definitely give at least what's recommended. Just to make sure the employee didn't get short changed, we always gave it in cash.
BTW, I loved Celebrity's service, would cruise with them again.

Old 07-05-2011, 03:32 PM

14,253 posts, read 15,371,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gracie4u View Post
Several cruise ship lines, such as Carnival Cruise Lines, automatically charge you for tips and gratuity at the start of the cruise. Tipping on Princess Cruise Ship or on the Crown Princess is also automatic -- according to the Princess Cruise Line web site, a hotel and dining charge of $10 per day per person is added to your shipboard account. Automatic tip charges can usually be increased or decreased at the Purser's Reception desk onboard. On some cruise ship lines, including Radisson Seven Seas, Seabourn, Silversea and Windstar, tipping is not required, according to their web sites.
Most other cruise ship lines recommend tips totaling about $9-$13 a day.
We have cruised Seabourn a couple of times. There is no expectation for tipping. There is, however, a crew welfare fund that passengers may contribute to if they wish. However, this is not advertised anywhere and I found out about it via cruise critic. The key reward for Seabourn staff is a personal mention in the guest comments card at the end of a cruise. No doubt this is an important factor in promotion/bonuses.

The other aspect of Seabourn is that most of their customer service staff are either European or South African. This is quite different to other cruise lines who tend to recruit in third world countries. To be able to recruit Europeans, you have to pay better. It is as simple as that. Europeans would not expect to live off tips. Also worth noting is that, for Europeans (and most other nationalities), their earnings are tax free. That would not be the case for Americans.

Old 07-07-2011, 08:22 AM

347 posts, read 883,595 times
If you're too poor or too cheap to tip properly, stay home.

Old 07-07-2011, 08:42 AM

26,590 posts, read 54,706,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gracie4u View Post
Several cruise ship lines, such as Carnival Cruise Lines, automatically charge you for tips and gratuity at the start of the cruise. Tipping on Princess Cruise Ship or on the Crown Princess is also automatic -- according to the Princess Cruise Line web site, a hotel and dining charge of $10 per day per person is added to your shipboard account. Automatic tip charges can usually be increased or decreased at the Purser's Reception desk onboard. On some cruise ship lines, including Radisson Seven Seas, Seabourn, Silversea and Windstar, tipping is not required, according to their web sites.
Most other cruise ship lines recommend tips totaling about $9-$13 a day.
Bolded text is a wrong answer.

Old 07-07-2011, 04:30 PM

14,253 posts, read 15,371,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
Bolded text is a wrong answer.
I have cruised with both Regent and Seabourn and they are quite clear that tipping is neither required nor expected.

Old 07-07-2011, 07:04 PM

26,590 posts, read 54,706,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggy001 View Post
I have cruised with both Regent and Seabourn and they are quite clear that tipping is neither required nor expected.
Maybe you missed the "bolded text" part of what I wrote. It applied to the cruiseline that was bolded.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Cruises