U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Cruises
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-21-2011, 07:12 PM

146 posts, read 336,961 times

Advertisements

I have not sailed in several years but will be sailing in June with Carnival. I was told gratuities would be $11.00 per person per day (4 of us).

I was asked if I wanted to prepay which I said no. I have personal issue with this whole concept in that it defeats the whole concept of tipping based on service. Basically it should be billed as another expense in my opinion if you are forced to pay a set amount.

I understand if I wish to sale this is customary and have accepted it. My question is since I did not prepay will I be billed on my credit card or receive a bill before I can depart the ship? Am I suppose to leave cash in an envelope somewhere?

I accept the amount they request, however, if for some reason my service is lacking and I decide $8.00 a day per person is more appropriate would there be a big stink? Just like I assume if you wish to tip more they have no problem with that.

Thanks for any help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2011, 07:20 PM

8,225 posts, read 14,981,709 times
So far, we have cruised both Carnival and RC, and you do have an option to change the amount for any group, i.e. if you did not ever once go to the main dining room, you can opt out of that specific tip. Just remember that your staff is extremely hard working, filling in on many different duties: one person may serve in the main dining room for the early meal, buffet afterwards, kitchen clean-up, midnight buffet server, and possibly even your morning room steward. Generally we tip extra in an envelope we present to specific staff who were exceptional.

Old 04-21-2011, 08:16 PM

3,852 posts, read 8,301,379 times
On my cruise, we were given four envelopes to tip the staff with. On each envelope was a suggested amount and the name of the person to give it to.

Because all the tips were given in envelopes, the person you're giving it to won't see the amount until you're long gone, so if you're worried about them being upset at the amount, there is no need to be. The envelopes had no ties to the room you were in.

I found that the entire staff went above and beyond in every aspect of my vacation, so I tipped extremely well. It was a great vacation, and the staff played a big part in making it so.

Old 04-22-2011, 04:52 AM

39,653 posts, read 47,957,115 times
When you sign on board you must leave a credit card number. On the final day all charges will be posted along with the daily recommended tip. If you do not dispute any of the charges, it is automatically paid to the cruise line. If you wish to dispute any charges then you need to go to the pursers station and tell them immediately before departing the ship.

Old 04-22-2011, 08:01 PM

5,198 posts, read 13,404,137 times
If you were to go to a hotel, eat in restaurants, go to bars...you would tip, would you not? Those "suggested" tips cover everyone you would normally (or should!!!) tip on any stay anywhere.

In a hotel, the normal tip is $5 pp pd to the housekeeper....in restaurants, it's between 15-20% per MEAL....and of course, your bartenders get tipped, as well.

On a ship, since you aren't being charged per meal (the FOOD, not the service) is included in your fare, they put a small suggested tip onto your bill. It's MORE than fair. The service you'll recieve is something you won't experience on land.

It's part of the cost of cruising. If you find the service is not up to par, talk to a supervisor and get it corrected. Don't suffer your entire vacation! And don't "stiff" those who serve you!

Old 04-24-2011, 10:48 AM

21,442 posts, read 22,000,772 times
stiffing the help by not participating in the modest suggested contribution seems to be a talent that should be best left to cheapskates and Europeans.

Old 04-24-2011, 10:52 AM

1,603 posts, read 3,653,821 times
Cruise staff really do not make a lot of money, so they really try and go above and beyond to take care of their designated rooms and/guests as best they can. Stiffing them is just tacky, and mean. Really.

When I went on my cruise, they gave me individual envelopes at the end, and I can't remember what I tipped them, but it was a little more than what was suggested ... I figured it into my budget before my trip.

Old 04-24-2011, 10:52 AM

1,552 posts, read 3,698,241 times
You can have the amount lowered on Carnival however I have never lowered it even if I didn't eat in the dining room all those days.

Old 04-24-2011, 11:05 AM

14,253 posts, read 15,373,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghengis View Post
stiffing the help by not participating in the modest suggested contribution seems to be a talent that should be best left to cheapskates and Europeans.
A couple of points here.

First, on the higher end cruise lines like Seabourn or Regent, tipping is not required. Presumably it is because they pay the personnel properly in the first place.

Second, it is not in the European culture to tip. Partly this is because service is actually built into the price in many countries and partly because they do not consider it is their role to subsidize low wages by tipping.

Old 04-25-2011, 08:26 AM

39,653 posts, read 47,957,115 times
I know of two people who worked on the Princess Cruises. One a room steward, the other a dining room assistant table server. Each averaged over a 500.00 each trip on the 7 day cruises , more on longer cruises from the tips.
Their only complaint was the long hours and very little time off. They have 6 month contracts and must adhere to strict rules. Sleeping arrangements are tight. If they want to quit or get into any type of trouble they are left off at the next port of call and are on their own to get back home from there.
The assistant dining room server worked the cruise line for 3 years, saved up enough money to start up his own restaurant. The room steward is laughing all the way to the bank, still working the ships.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Cruises