U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Cruises
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-06-2007, 08:35 PM

79 posts, read 228,541 times

Advertisements

Was thinking of taking my wife next year for a cruise as a first time visitor to Europe. I've been buy never cruised. She loves cruises.

Would it be worth it to at least get a feel of the place, I can do a cruise for about 4K, including air from Seattle WA.
I oeuld only have 2 weeks to spare and wouldn't want to spend more than 4K as we have three other trips planned from now until then.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2007, 10:04 PM

13,884 posts, read 25,311,688 times
One of my favorites, been several times and will probably go again in 2009. It's a great value and you will see more than you could taking planes from place to place. Much more relaxing too. No constant packing and unpacking! Cruising is an ideal way to see the Med.

You don't need to spend more than 4K. I could do it for considerably less. Especially if you can be somewhat flexible on dates. Look at the discounters. I found one today for $700 plus air for 7 days. Add a day or 2 on both ends and travel time. There are some different starting/ending choices. You can always do Athens but you can also do Istanbul and Venice.

You also don't have to pay a lot for excursions. Most of what you want to see is in the Old Town. That's always close to the port and not a huge area. Just for example, say you dock in Kushadasi and you want to go to Ephesus. You can pay $90 each thru the ship or you can walk off the ship and get a cab to take you on the same tour for $60 total. $75 with a good tip. The beauty of this is no waiting for busloads of people, you save money and come and go as you please. You will save enough time to do some shopping and see the bazaar in Kushadasi.

Have a great trip!

Old 08-10-2007, 08:39 AM

324 posts, read 697,478 times
I have a friend that just got back from a cruise in the Greek isles and LOVED it. She is very well traveled person and has been raving about the trip.

Old 08-10-2007, 06:53 PM

79 posts, read 228,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowsnow View Post
One of my favorites, been several times and will probably go again in 2009. It's a great value and you will see more than you could taking planes from place to place. Much more relaxing too. No constant packing and unpacking! Cruising is an ideal way to see the Med.

You don't need to spend more than 4K. I could do it for considerably less. Especially if you can be somewhat flexible on dates. Look at the discounters. I found one today for $700 plus air for 7 days. Add a day or 2 on both ends and travel time. There are some different starting/ending choices. You can always do Athens but you can also do Istanbul and Venice.

You also don't have to pay a lot for excursions. Most of what you want to see is in the Old Town. That's always close to the port and not a huge area. Just for example, say you dock in Kushadasi and you want to go to Ephesus. You can pay $90 each thru the ship or you can walk off the ship and get a cab to take you on the same tour for $60 total. $75 with a good tip. The beauty of this is no waiting for busloads of people, you save money and come and go as you please. You will save enough time to do some shopping and see the bazaar in Kushadasi.

Have a great trip!
Thank you for the indepth detail, it was most appreciated.
I'm going surfin'for a deal!!

Old 09-18-2007, 04:24 PM

2 posts, read 12,882 times
$700 it is whery expensive to me ((

Old 09-22-2007, 01:00 AM

2,141 posts, read 7,172,375 times
I went on a cruise to Greek and in retrospect, it's a very expensive way to see Greece. It's very easy to island hop without taking a cruise ship. Plus you have much more control of your schedule. Greece is fairly reasonable and taking a cruise to see some of the Greek Islands is much more money than you need to spend. If I returned to Greece, I would not consider going via a cruise.

Old 09-22-2007, 05:01 AM

13,382 posts, read 40,911,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lisak64 View Post
I went on a cruise to Greek and in retrospect, it's a very expensive way to see Greece. It's very easy to island hop without taking a cruise ship. Plus you have much more control of your schedule. Greece is fairly reasonable and taking a cruise to see some of the Greek Islands is much more money than you need to spend. If I returned to Greece, I would not consider going via a cruise.
I emphatically agree.
You can fly, too. We flew from Corfu to Crete, We rented a car on Crete and did a loop of the island.
We worked our way back by ferry over about 12 days. We stayed as long or as short as we wanted on each island.
Some people just like to cruise, but it's a shame if they do it because they think it is the only way to travel.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Cruises
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or