U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Cruises
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 06-17-2011, 02:30 PM
 
Location: Brooklyn, New York
1,194 posts, read 1,564,493 times
Reputation: 1727

Advertisements

Hello all!!!

I'm looking to take a cruise in October. Im just unsure of what cruiseline to use. I've heard of carribean cruiseline and carnival ...which cruiselines do you prefer? Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 07-07-2011, 04:00 PM
 
Location: El Dorado Hills, CA
3,693 posts, read 8,336,596 times
Reputation: 3812
Carnival tends to be cheaper, attract a younger crowd and have more partying. Royal Caribbean tends to be more expensive, nicer ships, older crowds (or families). I preferred RC, but I'm in my 40s.

Watch your destination port in October. It's a bit of the off season and the cruise lines will deep discount any open rooms last minute. We left from Puerto Rico and the majority of the cruisers did not speak English. Not a big issue overall, but fewer opportunities for us to socialize, and my small child did not have fun in the kids club because he was the only english speaking child. We just kept him with us the rest the week.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-11-2013, 10:28 AM
 
26,590 posts, read 54,577,614 times
Reputation: 13019
It depends on your budget, age, and interests.

Personally I would stay home and save for another year to be able to afford a more upscale line before I'd cruise Carnival, Royal Caribbean, NCL, HAL, etc. I prefer Regent, WindStar, Paul Guaguin, and Sea Dream, but they aren't the right line for everyone.

If you're 24, think the best vacation is drinking and dancing all night, sleeping until noon before heading to the pool to lay in the sun with a drink and watch fat guys in Speedos do belly flops into the pool, eating like you've never seen food before and don't mind school cafeteria quality, then just pick one and go. Once you get down to the bottom tier there really isn't a whole lot of difference between them.

If you have kids, Disney is going to be the best bet--I've cruised them and they do a fantastic job of delivering an upscale experience with something for everyone.

If you want a true luxury experience with a lot of formal nights (I mean true formal--tux and gown) then Crystal is the line you should be looking at.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-11-2013, 11:46 AM
 
Location: Bella Vista, Ark
71,937 posts, read 83,581,802 times
Reputation: 41745
Quote:
Originally Posted by omar9 View Post
Hello, friend When it comes to cruising along the Eastern Caribbean, there are many choices, There are countless ports of call, encompassing all the major tourist hot spots, and also places that are off the beaten track. An Eastern Caribbean cruise will take you to the American and British Virgin Islands, Puerto Rico, St. Martin, and the Bahamas. For better cruise service you can visit koshertravelers site, it provides you exceptional services. December to April is the peak tourist season. The hurricane season is from June to November, and it is wise to avoid these parts at this time.
You do realize the person asking the questions has probably cruised by now and maybe more than once. The OP posted this years ago. It sounds to me, like you might be a travel agent or working for one, am I right? Even if you are not, as I understand City Data, it isn't a site to sell services.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-17-2013, 12:02 PM
 
Location: Phoenix, AZ > Raleigh, NC
15,069 posts, read 18,997,066 times
Reputation: 24167
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
You do realize the person asking the questions has probably cruised by now and maybe more than once. The OP posted this years ago. It sounds to me, like you might be a travel agent or working for one, am I right? Even if you are not, as I understand City Data, it isn't a site to sell services.
Do you think his/her preference for Crystal, Regent, etc has anything to do with the commissions the suspect travel agent would get from a luxury cruise versus a Carnival Cruise?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-17-2013, 12:19 PM
 
Location: Bella Vista, Ark
71,937 posts, read 83,581,802 times
Reputation: 41745
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkgourmet View Post
Do you think his/her preference for Crystal, Regent, etc has anything to do with the commissions the suspect travel agent would get from a luxury cruise versus a Carnival Cruise?
anytime anyone pushes a line too hard or a type of cruise too hard, especially when it is upper budget I am a bit suspicious. I know good agents and people with open minds understand what is best for one, isn't always best for everyone. Several years ago I had a client that started cruising Carnival and progressed to NCL and RCI. When they inherited some money they decided to go all out and choose Crystal. They hated every minute of the cruise. It was way out of their comfort zone. Eventually they went back to cruised mass marketed lines but choose suites. For them it was the best of two worlds. I also had a friend, not a client that didn't like Windstar. On the other hand I had clients that would save for a couple of years to cruise Sea Dream.

You and I are seeing this through the same eyes it seems.

Nita
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-17-2013, 01:44 PM
 
Location: Phoenix, AZ > Raleigh, NC
15,069 posts, read 18,997,066 times
Reputation: 24167
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post

You and I are seeing this through the same eyes it seems.

Nita
We often do, Nita. You may not recall, but in early 2012, we were considering moving to Arkansas. I still remember learning about lovely Bella Vista from you. We still intend to take a vacation there one day.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-17-2013, 02:07 PM
 
26,590 posts, read 54,577,614 times
Reputation: 13019
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
anytime anyone pushes a line too hard or a type of cruise too hard, especially when it is upper budget I am a bit suspicious. I know good agents and people with open minds understand what is best for one, isn't always best for everyone. Several years ago I had a client that started cruising Carnival and progressed to NCL and RCI. When they inherited some money they decided to go all out and choose Crystal. They hated every minute of the cruise. It was way out of their comfort zone. Eventually they went back to cruised mass marketed lines but choose suites. For them it was the best of two worlds. I also had a friend, not a client that didn't like Windstar. On the other hand I had clients that would save for a couple of years to cruise Sea Dream.

You and I are seeing this through the same eyes it seems.

Nita
Had I been their travel agent I would have suggested something in between. Crystal is not for me. I haven't sailed them, but five out of 10 nights being tux and gown formal is too much for our tastes. I would have suggested something like Oceania, Wind Star, or Azamara, where they would have found a relaxed elegance with far better food and service levels than are found on the mass market ships--even in the suites. I've sailed in the Royal Suite on RCCL, and had far better service and amenities and MUCH MUCH MUCH better food in the cheap seats on the upscale lines.

I'm interested in knowing what your friends didn't like about Windstar.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-23-2013, 06:21 AM
 
782 posts, read 936,014 times
Reputation: 1016
For me personally Carnival > NCL >> RCI. I would never go on any of the more "luxury" high dollar lines, they are not what I am looking for in a cruise experience. For the record I am almost 40, although I drink I don't "party" or look to get blasted.

I am a foodie, and to me Carnival's dining (quality and options) are superior to NCL or RCI. All three have a wealth of different activities to keep you entertained. When you add in the cost factor though Carnival kicks everyone else's rear. Even if budget is not an issue for you, why overpay for an experience that is no better when you could instead take a second cruise, or a land vacation later in the year, or have a large amount of spending cash on board and at the stops instead?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-23-2013, 08:06 AM
 
Location: Bella Vista, Ark
71,937 posts, read 83,581,802 times
Reputation: 41745
Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
Had I been their travel agent I would have suggested something in between. Crystal is not for me. I haven't sailed them, but five out of 10 nights being tux and gown formal is too much for our tastes. I would have suggested something like Oceania, Wind Star, or Azamara, where they would have found a relaxed elegance with far better food and service levels than are found on the mass market ships--even in the suites. I've sailed in the Royal Suite on RCCL, and had far better service and amenities and MUCH MUCH MUCH better food in the cheap seats on the upscale lines.

I'm interested in knowing what your friends didn't like about Windstar.
Well Azamara wasn't even in existence at the time, neither was Oceana. does that answer your question. As for Crystal, I certainly would have preferred they try a moderately upscale line, but it was their choice. They felt they had the money and wanted the best. Well the best wasn't what they wanted, as it turned out. It was way to upscale for their relaxed taste.

As for Windstar, it was simply, they preferred the excitement of larger ships. Some people do prefer this, believe it or not. Everyone cruises for a different reason. They wanted to try something else, but it just wasn't quite what they had thought. You mention Azamara, our daughter and son in law just got off of one about a month ago. For them it was the perfect cruise.

Last edited by nmnita; 06-23-2013 at 08:18 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Cruises
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top