Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Cruises
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-29-2011, 01:30 PM

12,108 posts, read 23,278,346 times

Advertisements

My cruise experience is that damn near everyone expects a tip whether they do anything for you or not.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2011, 03:02 PM

14,247 posts, read 17,921,045 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joe from dayton View Post
My cruise experience is that damn near everyone expects a tip whether they do anything for you or not.
That depends on the cruise line.

Old 08-29-2011, 03:33 PM

14,993 posts, read 23,889,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Wolves In Snow View Post
Get a separate credit card for the cruise from a second bank to take with you when you leave the ship. Leave your main card from your bank in a safety deposit box either in your stateroom or with the Concierge.

Consider that second card your "vacation" money. If that card is lost or stolen in some foreign port, you will not be wiped out of your entire life savings sitting in your bank account, you will only lose what was on that second card.

I don't get that. Credit card fraud is limited to $50 liability by federal law, and even then most credit card companys will not hold you responsible if lost or stolen and you timely notify them. Credit cards have no connection to your bank account. Do you mean debit cards? ATM cards?

Old 08-29-2011, 04:09 PM

12,054 posts, read 23,347,049 times
One suggestion that I have for cruising is not to take the drink that they bring to you once you have boarded unless you really want it. It is not free.

If one of your ports is St. Maarten, you will dock in Phillipsburg. When you get off of the ship, you will come out almost to the boardwalk, which is parallel to Front Street. Front Street is a shopping paradise, especially for jewelry, perfume, electronics, liquors, etc. The Chocolate Box has the best chocolates that I have ever eaten.

If you like art, take a tour of the art galleries throughout both the Dutch and French sides. Go to Loterie Farm for a great lunch and a trip down the zip line. Tijon is a great place to make your own perfume. If you would like to learn how to make some island specialties, go to SXM Cooks.

On the French side, the Marigot Market has the most vendors on Wednesdays and Saturdays. There is a French lady in the Market who sells the most beautiful linens. You can also go to Orient Beach (clothing optional) and the Butterfly Farm is at Galion Beach, right next to Orient.

On the Dutch side, go to Maho and see the planes come in~~nothing like it. SXM zoo is not far from downtown.

Best beach, imo, is Little Bay and Fort Amsterdam is there. Fort St. Louis is at the Marigot Harbor.

Bakeries on both sides have excellent pastries~~many of the French bakeries have also opened on the Dutch side.

As you can see, I love SXM since I have owned a home there for many years. You don't have to love the beach to have a great time. Just be careful because the recession has hit the islands very hard. Watch your wallet, and make sure that you keep track of your credit purchases. Don't leave carbons behind.

DM me if you would like more info.

I am not a big fan of cruising but DH loves it. He thinks it is the most relaxing way to vacation.

Old 08-29-2011, 04:40 PM

39,031 posts, read 23,018,776 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joe from dayton View Post
That's one of the things that is causing me some pause ...

Old 08-29-2011, 04:42 PM

39,031 posts, read 23,018,776 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SXMGirl View Post
One suggestion that I have for cruising is not to take the drink that they bring to you once you have boarded unless you really want it. It is not free.

If one of your ports is St. Maarten, you will dock in Phillipsburg. When you get off of the ship, you will come out almost to the boardwalk, which is parallel to Front Street. Front Street is a shopping paradise, especially for jewelry, perfume, electronics, liquors, etc. The Chocolate Box has the best chocolates that I have ever eaten.

If you like art, take a tour of the art galleries throughout both the Dutch and French sides. Go to Loterie Farm for a great lunch and a trip down the zip line. Tijon is a great place to make your own perfume. If you would like to learn how to make some island specialties, go to SXM Cooks.

On the French side, the Marigot Market has the most vendors on Wednesdays and Saturdays. There is a French lady in the Market who sells the most beautiful linens. You can also go to Orient Beach (clothing optional) and the Butterfly Farm is at Galion Beach, right next to Orient.

On the Dutch side, go to Maho and see the planes come in~~nothing like it. SXM zoo is not far from downtown.

Best beach, imo, is Little Bay and Fort Amsterdam is there. Fort St. Louis is at the Marigot Harbor.

Bakeries on both sides have excellent pastries~~many of the French bakeries have also opened on the Dutch side.

As you can see, I love SXM since I have owned a home there for many years. You don't have to love the beach to have a great time. Just be careful because the recession has hit the islands very hard. Watch your wallet, and make sure that you keep track of your credit purchases. Don't leave carbons behind.

DM me if you would like more info.

I am not a big fan of cruising but DH loves it. He thinks it is the most relaxing way to vacation.
Thank you for this info ... I may DM you with additional questions as I do my research

Old 08-29-2011, 06:43 PM

27,073 posts, read 11,855,774 times
Just decide first if a cruise is right for you. I am one who went once, but never again. There are good things like others have posted...

but for me, it seemed just a huge boat of party-folk and LOTS of people around all the time. Unless you get one with a balcony, you have only a tiny window (or not) and no fresh air in the rm for the duration of the cruise.

I realize others would not agree, but I felt like a caged animal....could not wait to get off at ports. Even then, you have only a few short hrs and the areas around the docks are geared solely for tourists.

BUT...they go to some fabulous locations....maybe try a 3-4 day cruise first to see if it agrees with you before a longer one.

have fun doing your research!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chatteress View Post
That's one of the things that is causing me some pause ...

Old 08-30-2011, 07:02 AM

1,096 posts, read 4,526,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chatteress View Post
I am considering doing a cruise either to the Eastern Caribbean, Hawaii or Spain/Canary Islands but need some advice from those who are familiar with the areas.

I'm not a beach person nor am I into outdoor sports. My ideal type of vacations involves sightseeing, exploring cultures and eating different types of foods. Aside from the canned score excursions offered by the cruise ships, are there things to do around the ports or conveniently located for someone who doesn't drive?

Note: This cruise will be planned during the month of December when I have three weeks off so I'm rather limited in locations.
I have only been on one cruise to take what I say with a grain of salt as some may be different but cruises in my experience and in my mind are the furthest thing from culture.

It's basically a sneka peak at the most touristy aspects of a place. YOu get off the boat and there's totally fake manmade shopping areas where youc an buy coffee rum and jewelry maybe tjhere will be a zip line jungle tour or something but you are not going to have an authentic vacation and learn about local culture.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Cruises