U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Cruises
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2012, 01:48 PM

2,453 posts, read 4,452,575 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldengrain View Post
I guess it is customary that they add $11 per day per person to your bill?

Is that the rate that everyone pays?
For the cruise I just booked with Norwegian, they added $12 per day per person, so a 7 day cruise for my girlfriend and I added up to $168 in just tipping.

You can pay it in advance while you're paying for the rest of your ticket, or they can add it onto your bill on board.

From what I've read it's technically optional, but they have to add it to your bill first, then you'll need to speak to a representative on board about not wanting to tip, which I guess is an awkward enough conversation that most people just pay it and (try to) forget about it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2012, 01:55 PM

4,322 posts, read 8,275,922 times
Carnival was $10 a day which you can pay up front when you book it, or when you get on the ship they add it to your account. My daughter who was on a limited budget had it adjusted and they gave her no problems.

What bothered me is they said the $140 for the two of us for 7 days covers all the tips except drink gratuity and then the final night they wanted everyone to tip the mator de (sp) and I never really saw him and he never came to our dining table and he wants a separate tip for him?

When in doubt read the TOS.

Old 01-25-2012, 01:57 PM

40,289 posts, read 15,229,655 times
I've only been on one cruise so far, and it was heavenly. Went with Norwegian on a 7-night western Caribbean cruise; sailed out of New Orleans.
Moderator of Canada (and sub-fora), Illinois (and sub-fora), Indiana (and sub-fora), Automotive, Caregiving, Community Chat, Fashion & Beauty, Hair Care, Games/Trivia, History, Nature, Psychology, Travel, Work & Employment, Writing.

Old 01-26-2012, 06:38 AM

1,592 posts, read 2,564,873 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chickrae View Post
Carnival was $10 a day which you can pay up front when you book it, or when you get on the ship they add it to your account. My daughter who was on a limited budget had it adjusted and they gave her no problems.

What bothered me is they said the $140 for the two of us for 7 days covers all the tips except drink gratuity and then the final night they wanted everyone to tip the mator de (sp) and I never really saw him and he never came to our dining table and he wants a separate tip for him?
We have never tipped the matre de, in 12 cruises never came by and spoke to us. People we directly tip are our room steward, waiter/assistant waiter, and the head waiter if and only if he comes by to our table and genuinely wants to make an effort to be cordial, recommend a wine, a specific place to visit, some of our head waiters have been outstanding checking with us nightly, bringing us extra food, special requests and we tipped them appropriately, also we have had head waiters that showed up the last night almost with their hands out, and we were like "who the heck are you??".

I guess if they automatically add on the gratuities they get divided up so some goes to the head waiter anyway, but most of our past cruises the room steward left labeled envelopes for us the 2nd to last night, along with "suggested tip amounts". If people did their job, that's what they got, if they went a little above and beyond, we gave an extra $30 or so to them.

I have to see on the next cruise how they do it.

Only thing that is a little insulting is the line for " additional tip" when you buy a drink or wine, ok I buy a drink for $8, now it costs me over $9 with the tip, and you want more?

Old 01-26-2012, 08:53 PM

14,253 posts, read 15,369,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldengrain View Post
I don't think anyone responded to my question concerning tipping.

I guess it is customary that they add $11 per day per person to your bill?

Is that the rate that everyone pays?

On longer, grand/world voyages, doesn't that add to be quite a bit?

If we were to compare prices for these trips, what other extras to they tack on that you might not be aware of?
I know the port excursions are supposed to be expensive if you purchase them through the cruise company, so you just go ashore and there are hawkers there who will take you around for lower prices?

I guess there are no 'all expenses paid' cruises, or are there?
Guess I should discuss all this with a travel agent.
It depends on the cruise line. The higher end lines have a no-tipping policy as well as including drinks in the price. For example, on Seabourn you pay for the Spa and for tours and that is about it. On Regent, some of the tours are also included in the price.

When you compare the size of the room you get with those on the 'mass lines' (on Regent and Seabourn, the smallest room is a junior suite), plus not paying for drinks, plus not tipping, the higher end cruise lines can be a decent deal.

I take very few cruise-line tours. I usually research ports before I go and do my own thing in them. In some places a private taxi tour can be a very good alternative to a ship tour especially if you can team up with someone to share the price. In larger ports (e.g. Barcelona) there are often 'hop-on hop-off' tourist buses which will show you the main sites for a lot less than a ship tour. In Malta, we used the public buses; at 47 cents a ride it was great value and great fun.

Old 01-26-2012, 09:28 PM

39,637 posts, read 47,921,590 times
Tipping is actually optional even if they do add it automatically to your final bill. All you need to do is see the Purser at the main desk and have it either adjusted or removed the day you're checking out.

For those that let the automatic tip stay on the bill at the end of the cruise, that tip is supposed to be divided up among room steward, waiters, maitre d', cooks and assorted crew people.

Old 01-26-2012, 11:33 PM

1,534 posts, read 3,788,541 times
We've never done an ocean cruise, never will, its just not attractive to us. We're big fans of European river cruising. Its a great way to see Europe/Russia. JMO

Old 01-27-2012, 05:32 AM

12,408 posts, read 16,519,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilgrim21784 View Post
We've never done an ocean cruise, never will, its just not attractive to us. We're big fans of European river cruising. Its a great way to see Europe/Russia. JMO
Yes, this sounds like fun, too. I like it that you are docking daily at a different place. I'm not sure that I'd like to spend so many days at sea on a big cruise ship, but then again, we should try it and on a world tour you get a lite sampling of a variety of cultures which you can always come back to later to explore in greater depth.

Then again, on those large cruises, if you live near the port they leave from, you probably will meet some neighbors whom you would never, otherwise, get a chance to meet.

Old 02-19-2012, 12:40 PM

66 posts, read 107,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jghorton View Post
We loved Alaska and the Mediterranean (30 days, 17 ports). We found the Caribbean limited (but, we already live on a Florida beach) ... and thought the Hawaii island-hopping cruise was great!
Totally agree that Mediterranean and Hawaii cruises are great, but Caribbean not so much!

Last edited by BstYet2Be; 02-22-2012 at 03:33 AM.. Reason: repaired quote

Old 02-19-2012, 12:59 PM

12,408 posts, read 16,519,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TweedleDee View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by jghorton View Post
We loved Alaska and the Mediterranean (30 days, 17 ports). We found the Caribbean limited (but, we already live on a Florida beach) ... and thought the Hawaii island-hopping cruise was great!
Totally agree that Mediterranean and Hawaii cruises are great, but Caribbean not so much!
Do you prefer to stop at a lot of sites, or would you be happy just cruising around onboard for the duration?

I think some people prefer 7 to 14 days at a stretch, yet there are some who have retired on cruise ships and spend their life just riding around the world.

I see the Regent line has a long cruise and many days at different ports. I kind of like them because it is all expenses paid, but for airfare. Some have said that the all expenses paid cruises, although seeming expensive, cost them as much as the less expensive cruises that nickel and dime you once you're onboard.

Is there a difference between a 'Grand' cruise and a 'World' cruise? Is this just something a cruise line uses to designate a length of time?

Last edited by BstYet2Be; 02-22-2012 at 03:34 AM.. Reason: repaired quote
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Cruises