U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Cruises
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-01-2012, 02:38 PM

6,413 posts, read 10,401,410 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldengrain View Post
The reason some cruises advertise cheaper cruises is that they try to spend a lot of time on sea where they can rake you over the coals paying for extras and buying stuff on board. You also have tips to contend with and pay extra for tours while on land.
No one has to "pay for extras", "buy stuff on board", or take "tours". Those are all options, and if you buy them, it's because you're choosing to. Even the tipping, which now is automatically billed, but can be taken off if you choose to.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2012, 04:56 PM

12,408 posts, read 16,497,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EnricoV View Post
No one has to "pay for extras", "buy stuff on board", or take "tours". Those are all options, and if you buy them, it's because you're choosing to. Even the tipping, which now is automatically billed, but can be taken off if you choose to.
Gee, I'm sorry. Where did I say that one 'has to' do these things. What did you see that I must have missed?

Why should my comment about the strategy of some cruise lines to make a larger profit bother you, anyway?

You have stock in some company? Maybe employed by a cruise line? Oh, perhaps a travel agent?

Old 04-01-2012, 06:34 PM

Quote:
Gee, I'm sorry. Where did I say that one 'has to' do these things. What did you see that I must have missed?

Why should my comment about the strategy of some cruise lines to make a larger profit bother you, anyway?

You have stock in some company? Maybe employed by a cruise line? Oh, perhaps a travel agent?
Here's where you both said, and implied, it:

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldengrain
The reason some cruises advertise cheaper cruises is that they try to spend a lot of time on sea where they can rake you over the coals paying for extras and buying stuff on board. You also have tips to contend with and pay extra for tours while on land.
Your comment bothers me (but really not very accurate terminology describing why I responded), because it does. I really don't have to justify it. Show me a business that doesn't have a "strategy" to make a greater profit, and I'll show you a business that's not going to be operating much longer.

No, I don't (nor have I ever) worked for a cruise line. Not a travel agent. Nothing invested. But nice try at trying to come up with a nefarious reason someone might disagree with you. Face it, people in the world will disagree with you. Quite often, in fact. It's the nature of things.

I happen to enjoy cruising immensely. I think it's fantastic value for money in travel choices. I guess maybe I just feel I am not so gullible as to be "raked over the coals" into buying something I don't want, just because they make it available. BTW, I also avoid all those "impulse buy" items they try to get you with at the grocery store.

Old 04-03-2012, 08:20 AM

Yes, these are businesses, who advance themselves by separating you from your money. Many go on cruises and are lulled into a mindframe that sometimes forgets that little fact.

So glad that you are aware of it, Rico.

Old 04-03-2012, 12:33 PM

Quote:
Yes, these are businesses, who advance themselves by separating you from your money. Many go on cruises and are lulled into a mindframe that sometimes forgets that little fact.
As opposed to the other travel businesses, who are in it for, say, altruistic reasons?

A traveler is much more likely to overspend by staying at a hotel, eating at various restaurants, traveling in cabs, paying for entertainment, etc. than they are by buying what is essentially an all-inclusive trip.

Old 04-03-2012, 05:13 PM

1,409 posts, read 2,357,727 times
Quote:
I guess there are no 'all expenses paid' cruises, or are there?
Yes there are. They are, however, expensive. Seabourn, Silversea, Paul Gauguin cruises (which sails in Tahiti), Regent Seven Seas (which include most excursions as well as all drinks, tips and specialty dining.) Some of these lines also include Air.

The ships of these lines are all tiny by mega-ship standards. I've been lucky enough to do 10 cruises on Regent and the Paul Gauguin. Going to Alaska in less than a month.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ol' Wanderer View Post

My conclusion: Yes to island cruises (Bahamas, Caribbean, etc.) Yes to Alaska cruises. No to European/Baltic cruises.
I absolutely agree with you on this one, at least mostly. I've done two cruises in Europe and I had a blast both times, but it is not the way to actually experience those destination. I doubly agree about Greece, since I adore Greece, and can't imagine going to an island for 8 hours. We have done pre- and post-cruise trips to do destination in depth as part of these adventures, which is a lovely way to get the best of both worlds.

We're probably going to try a river cruise in Europe next year.

I also want to do a transatlantic crossing. On the smaller ships I love sea days, and they can be combined with time in Europe before or after the cruise. Also looking at the Premium lines, Oceania and Azamara, which also have smaller ships, although not so all-inclusive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jghorton View Post

A couple of other issues --- My wife gets 'seasick' walking down a dock near the water ... but, admits that she has no problem aboard a cruise ship. Also, ships/lines are different.
Take precautions. I am hardly ever bothered, but have my Bonine on hand if I do.

Quote:
Well, we are thinking of it, but it will be a while before we do. I get seasick and thought I should stay near the center of the ship because of that.
Yes, a mid-ship stateroom, low in the ship, will help.

Old 04-04-2012, 05:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wwanderer View Post
Yes there are. They are, however, expensive. Seabourn, Silversea, Paul Gauguin cruises (which sails in Tahiti), Regent Seven Seas (which include most excursions as well as all drinks, tips and specialty dining.) Some of these lines also include Air.

The ships of these lines are all tiny by mega-ship standards. I've been lucky enough to do 10 cruises on Regent and the Paul Gauguin. Going to Alaska in less than a month.

We're probably going to try a river cruise in Europe next year.

I also want to do a transatlantic crossing. On the smaller ships I love sea days, and they can be combined with time in Europe before or after the cruise. Also looking at the Premium lines, Oceania and Azamara, which also have smaller ships, although not so all-inclusive.
Thank you. I do think I like the seemingly Regent goal of stopping at a port every day if at all possible.

Can you elaborate why the sea days are superior on smaller ships? I know that the small ships are able to dock at more ports, which is favorable. I am thinking that they may have fewer children, be less noisy, that sort of thing, but the large ships have better entertainment, no?

My husband and I would be more prone to enjoy interesting lectures rather than Vegas productions, but that's not so for most folks, I believe.

Old 04-04-2012, 12:41 PM

1,409 posts, read 2,357,727 times
Quote:
Can you elaborate why the sea days are superior on smaller ships? I know that the small ships are able to dock at more ports, which is favorable. I am thinking that they may have fewer children, be less noisy, that sort of thing, but the large ships have better entertainment, no?

My husband and I would be more prone to enjoy interesting lectures rather than Vegas productions, but that's not so for most folks, I believe.
The smaller ships are less noisy, with few if any lineups, with much more individualized service. Nobody is out to take your money once you're on board the ship. Entertainment is low-keyed, and often there are lectures. So the ship is a much more pleasant place to hang out.

As for sea days versus ports every day, you get tired of this quickly, believe me. Being out touring every day is great for a while, but I like a rest once in a while, so a sea day thrown in once in a while is great, so you can enjoy the ship (which is a much more attractive proposition on this type of ship). Many of my fellow cruisers take the transatlantic, or other repositioning cruises just to be on the ship--it's the destination. I have friends who do the Caribbean this way--they hardly even step off the ship.

Except for holiday sailings and perhaps Alaska and the Med. in summer, there are few children onboard, and those that are, are usually very well-behaved. It's a wonderful feeling of being pampered. Food is generally very good to excellent. A lot of kids on this type of cruise would be, say, 40 (a number that came up recently on Cruise Critic--some friends are on Seven Seas Mariner right now in the Med., and that's how many there are onboard--I think it's because it's Easter coming up.)

Old 04-04-2012, 12:54 PM

Thanks for the perspective. I think I agree with your choice.

Old 04-05-2012, 07:38 AM

72,073 posts, read 83,752,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Podo944 View Post
Are cruises a good way to travel to see different cities?
Are the day trips at each port enough to get a good overview, or is cruising really about what you do on the ship, like the food, activities, shows etc.
Also, is it rare to get seasick on a cruise because the ship is so big?
I'd love to try it some day! Very interested in Alaska, because I would imagine you'd see some beautiful landscape right from the ship.
Also interested in a Baltic Sea cruise to see the northern countries and especially would like to see Helsinki. That's where my family emigrated from 4 generations ago!

Thanks for any feedback!
To get an overall view of several places cruising is perfect, but to get a true deep feeling about an area or port you need to spend more time there. I have always thought cruising is the ideal way to get a feeling for a port, then you can always plan a trip back if you want to spend more time.
Nita
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Cruises