U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Cruises
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-20-2012, 11:00 PM

56 posts, read 242,929 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zembonez View Post
I would not take a cruise before or after this event. I have no desire to spend days on a ship full of thousands of people. No thanks.
Ive been on a few cruises and can honestly say it's the best was to vacation and travel.

Plenty of space, beauty, food, fun, and drinking.
You don't have to worry about finding a place to eat in a unfamiliar place, finding a safe way home after drinking, and you are taken to your new destination while sleeping?!? When you get there you don't have to worry about getting fooled and swindled out of your money for a tour or activity. You book it through the cruise, have a safe activity all planned out.

The prices are sometimes less than the cost of the same vacation you'd plan on your own. Try it!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2012, 08:12 PM

21,483 posts, read 13,680,648 times
Default With the recent disaster of the cruise ship----

Why don't they put the lifeboats on top of the ship? They are on the sides but when they tilt into the water you can't get to the half that is under water.

Seems after all the years since the Titanic they haven't learned to keep the lifeboats accessible?

Old 01-23-2012, 09:29 AM

8,178 posts, read 16,543,731 times
Isn't it nice that we have all different ways to travel? Thank goodness nobody is forced to cruise if they don't want to.

I'm leaving on one in 25 days....I might check out the name of the captain before we leave tho.

Dh says he's going to freak people out by going to the cabin 1st, get the life vest and wear it in the dining room yelling my name.
I think it's time for a new hubby

Old 01-23-2012, 04:17 PM

I saw the report on the sinking. I guess the lifeboats need to be on the side since the ship leans over and if the lifeboats were on top there is no way to get them launched. Even the lifeboats on the side of the ship that was out of the water were useless. Half could not be used, scary.

The people were not given instructions anyway and that is negligence. They didn't even know where to find the lifeboats. It was lucky the ship was near land and not in the middle of the ocean but then it wouldn't have hit a rock.

Old 01-24-2012, 12:45 PM

37,949 posts, read 55,708,171 times
The 3200 passengers on the Costa Concondia, which was run aground and nearly sank in Italy, may find it tough going getting legal redress for their nightmare and suffering.
Much like airlines, cruise lines have contracts of carriage that govern the legal rights and responsibilities of both the company and the passenger.
Few of many:
- The liability of the Carrier for death of or personal injury to the Passenger, and all other limits for damage or loss to personal property is about $70,900
- Property Damage Claims are Capped - $5,000
- Liability for Emotional Distress
- As to safety… you are on your own.
http://www.nycourts.gov/courts/9jd/T...MEDIES2011.pdf
Mouse Print* – Sneaky Fine Print»Blog Archive » Costa’s Cruise Contract Constrains Cruisers’ Claims
World, Europe, Texas, Corpus Christi, El Paso, Lubbock, Tyler, Houston, San Antonio, Tallahassee, Macon, Duluth, Fish, Home Interior Design and Decorating, Science and Technology Forums

Need help? Click on this: >>> ToS, Mod List, Rules & FAQ's, Guide, CD Home page, How to Search
Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.

Old 01-24-2012, 02:45 PM

I heard the cruise line did give them 30 dollars off on their next cruise. LOL What a deal.

Old 01-24-2012, 09:30 PM

39,527 posts, read 47,687,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by janelle144 View Post
I heard the cruise line did give them 30 dollars off on their next cruise. LOL What a deal.
Actually the cruise line has offered a full cruise refund, re-imbursement of lost goods and all medical bills, plus a tacky 30% discount on a future cruise.
The 30% discount is a slap in the face. They should at least offer a free cruise with all expenses paid.

Old 01-25-2012, 08:27 PM

56 posts, read 242,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Granny Sue View Post
Isn't it nice that we have all different ways to travel? Thank goodness nobody is forced to cruise if they don't want to.

I'm leaving on one in 25 days....I might check out the name of the captain before we leave tho.

Dh says he's going to freak people out by going to the cabin 1st, get the life vest and wear it in the dining room yelling my name.
I think it's time for a new hubby
I like that. Be funny to just join him and see what happens!!! Be sure to act sincere so you don't get booted off.

Cruises are not a mean of transportation. It's a vacation.

I agree, what that captain did and the way it was handled was inexcusable.

Old 01-29-2012, 09:15 AM

12,408 posts, read 16,471,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zembonez View Post
I would not take a cruise before or after this event. I have no desire to spend days on a ship full of thousands of people. No thanks.
I think people who DO cruise should do their homework.

I believe there are 3 basic categories of size and the biggest are the flashiest and often have more families (young kids) aboard. They probably are the least expensive.

There are ships that carry under 1000. The smaller the ship, the more ports they can fit into and the less wait time to disembark.

Then, someone said the more expensive cruise lines actually include more in the price and may be a better deal.

I think I compared a world tour or grand voyage of Regent (more expensive) to some of the others. After the sticker shock, I think I found out why, at least partially. The Regent ship docked at twice as many ports as the others. The price was not twice as high. I read that the longer a cruise ship can keep you onboard, the more money they make from you, so some cruises have you spending more days at sea than on excursions.

Some people just love the ship experience, often do not disembark, and stay aboard for the entire cruise. Others go for the glimpses they can get from different cultures, and eagerly await pulling up to strange ports. So, it depends on what you'd like.

Last edited by goldengrain; 01-29-2012 at 09:31 AM..

Old 01-29-2012, 11:45 AM

651 posts, read 1,582,560 times
Slightly off topic, but are cruise prices lower now because of the accident? I've been wanting to take a cruise and if they're offering better packages, I'm all in! I haven't researched past prices so I have no idea if what I'm seeing is high or low. I'd prefer to port out of NY if that matters.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Cruises