U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Cruises
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-14-2012, 01:55 PM

1,592 posts, read 2,557,394 times

Advertisements

Despite today's tragic events, we are still going this fall.

How does everyone think emergency briefings of passengers will be handled from now on?? Last few I went to were very casual, big group setting in the theater.

Years ago they were way stricter, most of the time held before the ship left port the first day, you had to wear your live vest, get your room # checked off along with the# of people in each room.

From what I read, it was pretty chaotic, understandably so...

Last edited by BstYet2Be; 01-14-2012 at 08:40 PM.. Reason: Mod Note: Please include what event you're speaking of w/news link!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2012, 02:00 PM

55,665 posts, read 74,620,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ctwhitechin View Post
Despite today's tragic events, we are still going this fall.

How does everyone think emergency briefings of passengers will be handled from now on?? Last few I went to were very casual, big group setting in the theater.

Years ago they were way stricter, most of the time held before the ship left port the first day, you had to wear your live vest, get your room # checked off along with the# of people in each room.

From what I read, it was pretty chaotic, understandably so...
what event?

Old 01-14-2012, 02:04 PM

1,815 posts, read 1,759,260 times
Would you continue to fly if a 747 goes down-----of course----accidents are a part of life and refusing to fly or cruise in repsonse to an accident is isolation.

The events of the cruise ship response are vague-----there seems to different versions of when the crew lowered the life boats, and why they didnt respond to the accident right away. I am sure that the answers will be coming shortly and many inquiries will be done.

Do your research before you cruise----safety is just as important as price and other amenities. If you cant find out too much about a cruise lines safety record, maybe spend some extra dollars to go with a major cruiseline that has a solid safety record-----there is no need to have constant anxiety on a cruise due to safety laxity---do some research.

Old 01-14-2012, 02:17 PM

1,592 posts, read 2,557,394 times
Oh we have no anxiety of going, we have been on about a dozen and plan on many more. I should have worded my question differently to say "would the events onboard the Costa concord influence a first time cruiser not to go??"

Old 01-14-2012, 02:25 PM

16,411 posts, read 26,235,031 times
It sounds to me like everyone made it out alive except 3 people. I know it is a terrible thing if even 1 person dies.. but out of over 4000 people and only 3 deaths on a crash like that doesn't sound too terribly dangerous. Also, how often do you actually hear about a cruise ship going down?

Old 01-14-2012, 08:11 PM

18,852 posts, read 31,717,452 times
I have been on cruises before, and have decided that is not my choice to spend a vacation on a floating prison. Too many people. Just not my thing. And after the issues with the Norovirus on several ships, forget it.

Old 01-14-2012, 08:15 PM

37,992 posts, read 55,769,955 times
Default Concordia cruise ship accident

Costa Concordia accident: Pictures of cruise ship sinking off coast of Italy 'in Titanic-like scene' | Mail Online
World, Europe, Texas, Corpus Christi, El Paso, Lubbock, Tyler, Houston, San Antonio, Tallahassee, Macon, Duluth, Fish, Home Interior Design and Decorating, Science and Technology Forums

Need help? Click on this: >>> ToS, Mod List, Rules & FAQ's, Guide, CD Home page, How to Search
Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.

Old 01-14-2012, 10:38 PM

4,322 posts, read 8,263,036 times
I would and am still going on my 15 day to Hawaii on Carnival in January. Look how many cruises leave daily all over the world and not many accidents. It's like getting in an airplane or your car every day. It's a chance you take.

When in doubt read the TOS.

Old 01-14-2012, 11:26 PM

14,260 posts, read 23,991,339 times
I took a Costa Cruise once ... and I would say that experience alone was a guarantee that I would NOT take another Costa cruise.

Poorly trained employees with inattentive service and an Italian crew that was less than communicative.

Old 01-14-2012, 11:54 PM

37,992 posts, read 55,769,955 times
Sea voyage by huge cruise liner with 4,000 other people on it is not my kind of vacation and relaxation. However I did travel by cargo ships several times, different routes and every time it was absolutely wonderful experience. I loved it and would do it again.
So, for me - no cruise liner, regardless of the accident.
World, Europe, Texas, Corpus Christi, El Paso, Lubbock, Tyler, Houston, San Antonio, Tallahassee, Macon, Duluth, Fish, Home Interior Design and Decorating, Science and Technology Forums

Need help? Click on this: >>> ToS, Mod List, Rules & FAQ's, Guide, CD Home page, How to Search
Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Cruises