U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Cruises
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Unread 02-07-2012, 02:55 PM

7,035 posts, read 6,439,943 times
Default Is there a cruise...

Which departs from New York City or another port in the northeastern United States, stops in the Bahamas or somewhere in the Carribbean, and then goes to Florida without going back to NYC?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Unread 02-07-2012, 05:49 PM

3,020 posts, read 3,771,969 times
Put that whole sentence in Google and you can spend days planning ...

Unread 02-07-2012, 06:56 PM

7,035 posts, read 6,439,943 times
I actually spent about 10 or 15 minutes looking up cruises but was unable to find any that did not return to NY...actually I did, but they were really long, expensive cruises (trans-canal cruises that ended in LA and Amazonian cruises that ended in Miami).

Unread 02-07-2012, 09:18 PM

4,278 posts, read 4,131,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tvdxer View Post
I actually spent about 10 or 15 minutes looking up cruises but was unable to find any that did not return to NY...actually I did, but they were really long, expensive cruises (trans-canal cruises that ended in LA and Amazonian cruises that ended in Miami).
There's you answer. I have never heard of one which starts in NY and ends in Florida.

Unread 02-08-2012, 10:49 AM

2,829 posts, read 2,175,034 times
I did a 3 week cruise last October-November.
New York - Ft.Lauderdale - Cartagena (Colombia) - Colon (Panama) - Puerto Limon (Costa Rica) - Cozumel (Mexico) - Miami.
with MSC cruises which was okay but not great, cruises are not for me, i need my time to explore a country/city can't do all of that in 1 day.
Don't book to many excursion most of them are overpriced and will disappoint you!

Unread 02-08-2012, 08:17 PM

1,544 posts, read 1,273,605 times
I think Norwegian may have some reposition cruises that do something like that (I know they have one from NYC to New Orleans), but it'll only be once or twice a year; you won't really have a wide selection of dates.

I'm headed down on them next month from New York City to the Bahamas and back. I guess if you really wanted to you could just not get back on the boat at the last stop in Nassau and purchase your own separate one way cruise from there to Florida, but that sounds like a pretty expensive option as you're still paying for those last two nights of the cruise that you're not even on the boat for, plus the cost of the one way cruise.

edit: On their webpage here they have a link to a "14-Day Circle the Caribbean from New York to Miami" at the bottom under "Repositioning Cruises," but when you click on it goes to a 404 error. I'm headed out now so I can't really investigate it, but give them a call and ask about it.

Unread 02-09-2012, 08:13 AM

21,241 posts, read 26,729,851 times
Best bet my be a repositioning cruise on one of the lines that ports out of NYC in the summer but returns to Florida for the winter. That will lock you into very specific travel dates though. If you're willing to expand your search to Boston and Baltimore, you'd have a few more options.

Unread 02-11-2012, 10:05 PM

4,756 posts, read 4,971,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyMIA View Post
I have never heard of one which starts in NY and ends in Florida.
That's because it is illegal for a foreign-flagged cruiseship to transport passengers from one U.S. city to another unless it stops in a distant foreign port along the way. So for example, you can have a ship go from L.A. to Miami because it goes to South America first, but you can't have a ship go from NYC to Miami.

Unread 02-12-2012, 03:54 AM

21,241 posts, read 26,729,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadManofBethesda View Post
That's because it is illegal for a foreign-flagged cruiseship to transport passengers from one U.S. city to another unless it stops in a distant foreign port along the way. So for example, you can have a ship go from L.A. to Miami because it goes to South America first, but you can't have a ship go from NYC to Miami.
The original post asked for a cruise that made a stop in the Bahamas or Caribbean on the way. Any Caribbean port would count as a distant foreign port, Bermuda would as well.

Unread 02-12-2012, 05:59 AM

4,756 posts, read 4,971,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
The original post asked for a cruise that made a stop in the Bahamas or Caribbean on the way. Any Caribbean port would count as a distant foreign port, Bermuda would as well.
No, sorry, you're flat-out wrong. The closest distant foreign ports under the PVSA are the ABC islands off the coast of Venezuela.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $74,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Cruises