U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Cruises
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 08-03-2012, 06:00 AM
 
Location: Long Island NY
470 posts, read 488,813 times
Reputation: 264

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
We saw mostly men in jacets and ties, full suits and a lot in tux. Of course it was a 12 day cruise which will be a little more formal than the shorter ones. I will be very honest, hubby and I had decided not to do the formal attiare, he had a nice shirt, no tie or jacket and I had a cute drress, we felt out of place, headed to the buffet for dinner both nights and ended up back in our cabin early.
I was planning on bringing a suit jacket and dress shirt anyway. It's not too much to add a tie or two to my suitcase. Thnaks for the info!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 08-03-2012, 06:54 AM
 
26,590 posts, read 54,664,791 times
Reputation: 13020
You couldn't pay me to sail any of the mass market lines. I've tried them, I hated them. I'd rather cruise less often but on a luxury or small ship cruise than be miserable for a week or more surrounded by masses of humanity.

By the way, many of the upscale/premium and small ships have a business/resort casual dinner dress code, ties never required and even discouraged, sport jackets optional.

And for the record, NCL, HAL, Princess, RCCL, Carnival, MSC, and even Celebrity, none of them are upscale. They range from bottom of the barrel to purely mass market. Although I guess you could make the argument that compared to the others, Celebrity is upscale, but it's no where near a premium or luxury line.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-03-2012, 07:10 AM
 
14,253 posts, read 15,357,671 times
Reputation: 13682
Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
You couldn't pay me to sail any of the mass market lines. I've tried them, I hated them. I'd rather cruise less often but on a luxury or small ship cruise than be miserable for a week or more surrounded by masses of humanity.

By the way, many of the upscale/premium and small ships have a business/resort casual dinner dress code, ties never required and even discouraged, sport jackets optional.

And for the record, NCL, HAL, Princess, RCCL, Carnival, MSC, and even Celebrity, none of them are upscale. They range from bottom of the barrel to purely mass market. Although I guess you could make the argument that compared to the others, Celebrity is upscale, but it's no where near a premium or luxury line.
All good points.

The luxury cruise lines look expensive but when you take into account the size of the room, no tipping, drinks included, no supplements for restaurants, etc. then the price differential is not as great as many imagine. I have cruised with Seabourn and I only wore a tie on formal night.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-04-2012, 09:48 AM
 
Location: Bella Vista, Ark
72,123 posts, read 83,802,658 times
Reputation: 41899
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggy001 View Post
All good points.

The luxury cruise lines look expensive but when you take into account the size of the room, no tipping, drinks included, no supplements for restaurants, etc. then the price differential is not as great as many imagine. I have cruised with Seabourn and I only wore a tie on formal night.
I hope you wore more than just your tie whether it was formal or casual, that is a little too casual..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-04-2012, 10:00 AM
 
Location: Bella Vista, Ark
72,123 posts, read 83,802,658 times
Reputation: 41899
Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
You couldn't pay me to sail any of the mass market lines. I've tried them, I hated them. I'd rather cruise less often but on a luxury or small ship cruise than be miserable for a week or more surrounded by masses of humanity.

By the way, many of the upscale/premium and small ships have a business/resort casual dinner dress code, ties never required and even discouraged, sport jackets optional.

And for the record, NCL, HAL, Princess, RCCL, Carnival, MSC, and even Celebrity, none of them are upscale. They range from bottom of the barrel to purely mass market. Although I guess you could make the argument that compared to the others, Celebrity is upscale, but it's no where near a premium or luxury line.
you are right, none of those are what is thought to be upscale, for marketing purposes, Celebrity, HAL and even Princess (why I don't know) are considered primuim lines, but when we think upscale we normally think luxury or I do; those are the Cunard, Crystal, Seabourn, SeaDream and a few others. Yes, when you take into consideration all that is offered, often including shore excursions, on the luxury lines, they are not that more more expensive, but they still are pricier. I think it depends on what one expects from a vacation.

For many, like you say, cruising every couple of years is worth it for the total luxury experience, for others, once a year on a HAL type of line is perfect and for others cruisning on the mid priced, lines make the ideal vacation for a family or for those who enjoy cruising more often. Just like some people would be quite satisfied with Holiday Inns or Comfort Inns, some want to experience a little more luxury and choose Hyatts, or Hyatts and there are those who would not consider anything less than a Four Seasons or Rtiz Carlton. And still others that would prefer to go a step higher and stay at a Peninsula type.

Nita
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-04-2012, 05:32 PM
 
26,590 posts, read 54,664,791 times
Reputation: 13020
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
you are right, none of those are what is thought to be upscale, for marketing purposes, Celebrity, HAL and even Princess (why I don't know) are considered primuim lines, but when we think upscale we normally think luxury or I do; those are the Cunard, Crystal, Seabourn, SeaDream and a few others. Yes, when you take into consideration all that is offered, often including shore excursions, on the luxury lines, they are not that more more expensive, but they still are pricier. I think it depends on what one expects from a vacation.

For many, like you say, cruising every couple of years is worth it for the total luxury experience, for others, once a year on a HAL type of line is perfect and for others cruisning on the mid priced, lines make the ideal vacation for a family or for those who enjoy cruising more often. Just like some people would be quite satisfied with Holiday Inns or Comfort Inns, some want to experience a little more luxury and choose Hyatts, or Hyatts and there are those who would not consider anything less than a Four Seasons or Rtiz Carlton. And still others that would prefer to go a step higher and stay at a Peninsula type.

Nita
Cunard is not a luxury line. Queens Grill, yes, but that's only for meals, when you go to do any other activities you are just another face in the crowd.

And I've found that generally Hyatts are like an ugly sweater wrapped in a pretty box. Same with Crown Plaza and Omni.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-06-2012, 09:19 AM
 
Location: Coastal Northeast
16,769 posts, read 23,212,603 times
Reputation: 5858
Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
Although I guess you could make the argument that compared to the others, Celebrity is upscale, but it's no where near a premium or luxury line.
Celebrity and Princess are definitely *more* upscale than other lines.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-06-2012, 09:39 AM
 
Location: Bella Vista, Ark
72,123 posts, read 83,802,658 times
Reputation: 41899
Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
Cunard is not a luxury line. Queens Grill, yes, but that's only for meals, when you go to do any other activities you are just another face in the crowd.

And I've found that generally Hyatts are like an ugly sweater wrapped in a pretty box. Same with Crown Plaza and Omni.
I am simply posting how the lines and hotels are rated according to the industry. We all have our personal opinions.

KIdyankee, industry rating you are right, I personally, other than the ships being very pretty do not understand Princess being in the premium catagory. Celebriity, yes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-20-2012, 01:58 AM
 
Location: The Old Dominion
774 posts, read 1,426,214 times
Reputation: 1172
Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
Cunard is not a luxury line. Queens Grill, yes, but that's only for meals, when you go to do any other activities you are just another face in the crowd.
You are absolutely correct. No one who knows anything about cruising considers Cunard an upscale line. Quite the contrary--it's a mass-market horror show with the one exception you noted.

Are there any truly upscale lines which even have thousands of people on board? I don't think so.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-22-2012, 07:47 AM
 
Location: Bella Vista, Ark
72,123 posts, read 83,802,658 times
Reputation: 41899
Quote:
Originally Posted by Archguy View Post
You are absolutely correct. No one who knows anything about cruising considers Cunard an upscale line. Quite the contrary--it's a mass-market horror show with the one exception you noted.

Are there any truly upscale lines which even have thousands of people on board? I don't think so.
sorry, I am a recently retired TA (only a few months) and Cunard is considered among the upscale lines. Every cruise line has a catagory, and Cunard is one in the upper end. I am not saying I agree, I do not think Princess falls into the same catagory as HAL either, but this is the industry ratings I am referring to. Yes, I certainly do know something about cruising.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Cruises
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top