U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Cruises
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-01-2012, 08:22 AM

72,042 posts, read 83,705,236 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZPam View Post
Viking is one of the WORST river cruise companies to go with. So many others that are so much better and for less! We will be going on our 3rd river cruise the end of November on Danube. It's a great way to travel too.

We are mostly Princess cruisers for the big ships. Have tried Carnival and will never go back. Liked Celebrity but for the cost difference, will stay with Princess.
I think some including you are missing what I am trying to explain: I am not judging which ship or lines are the best because each has something to offer, I am not even saying which I would sail on. I am simply posting the ships as they are grouped by the industry...I have a few companies/lines I do not like to do business with or should I say, didn't like when I retired. I am tech retired but still have a few stagling cliants. This doesn't mean they are bad lines, I just prefer to deal with other companies. The list of luxury lines may not all be great lines or all thier ship great, but the industry has labled them as such.

You mention you like Princess, there are things I like about them and things I do not. My clients are split. I had one gentleman that is now in the business: he and his partner used to book with me 4 or 5 times a year, on all lines and they loved Princess. I have others that have said, please not another Princess. This can be said about all lines. Some people want to be pampered and feel they only get the attention and service they want by either booking suites or luxury ships. Others like the relaxation and the ability to cruise into smaller ports so they book only small ships, while others love the fun and variety of the mega ships.

I hope you now understand what I am trying to say, I am not pushing any line, nor do I think the industry ratings are perfect, I am simply saying this is the way it is. I guess it is like a school district. Just because one is rated about another, doesn't always mean anything or a survey; they are only as good as the person who is doing them and we all have to take this into consideration.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2012, 08:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlendaRN View Post
Diane,

I appreciate your response. I think, from reading posts both here and cruisecritic, I am over cruising and would much rather fly to a beach somewhere and make all my own decisions of when and where I want to do what. Kind of disappointing since earlier cruises I had been on were quite enjoyable. Maybe I'm just getting too picky but if I'm on vacation thats how I feel.
Glenda

I think there does come a time when we need to change directions. We felt this way about Las Vegas. Aftger God only know how many trips. about 5 years ago we were there for a week. I said then, we are Vegased out and decided never to go again. Move forward to this year: we did go for a week in mid May, had a great time and will probably return next year but it still isn't like the days past. I can say the same about cruising to be honest. I love to cruise, we have been on over 25 but it isn't like it was in the 80s for instance. it is kinda like that first kiss, first boyfriend, first whatever, nothing will ever completely match up.

Nita

Old 09-02-2012, 09:45 AM

14,253 posts, read 15,343,613 times
Quote:
Viking is one of the WORST river cruise companies to go with. So many others that are so much better and for less! We will be going on our 3rd river cruise the end of November on Danube. It's a great way to travel too.

We are mostly Princess cruisers for the big ships. Have tried Carnival and will never go back. Liked Celebrity but for the cost difference, will stay with Princess.
We have family in Switzerland and had thought about flying into Amsterdam and taking a river cruise to Basel and then the train down to Geneva. I had looked at CC and had the impression that Viking was not one of the best. Would appreciate your thoughts as to who you prefer.

Old 09-02-2012, 11:57 AM

1,518 posts, read 1,354,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggy001 View Post
We have family in Switzerland and had thought about flying into Amsterdam and taking a river cruise to Basel and then the train down to Geneva. I had looked at CC and had the impression that Viking was not one of the best. Would appreciate your thoughts as to who you prefer.
Pretty much you can't go wrong with any of them with the exception of Viking. I tend to go with Grand Circle Travel as they tend to be a bit cheaper, but there are much nicer lines to consider too. If I had my choice, probably Tauck but I couldn't afford them very often! (or at all)

I've done two trips on the Rhine from Basel to Amsterdam both times. Love, love, loved it! Did the pre trips in Basel and took the train to Lucerne for the day once. So easy! Don't bother with a first class ticket on the train. Ride with the locals as they were super friendly and helpful and save some money.

Old 09-02-2012, 12:01 PM

1,518 posts, read 1,354,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
I think some including you are missing what I am trying to explain: I am not judging which ship or lines are the best because each has something to offer, I am not even saying which I would sail on. I am simply posting the ships as they are grouped by the industry...I have a few companies/lines I do not like to do business with or should I say, didn't like when I retired. I am tech retired but still have a few stagling cliants. This doesn't mean they are bad lines, I just prefer to deal with other companies. The list of luxury lines may not all be great lines or all thier ship great, but the industry has labled them as such.

You mention you like Princess, there are things I like about them and things I do not. My clients are split. I had one gentleman that is now in the business: he and his partner used to book with me 4 or 5 times a year, on all lines and they loved Princess. I have others that have said, please not another Princess. This can be said about all lines. Some people want to be pampered and feel they only get the attention and service they want by either booking suites or luxury ships. Others like the relaxation and the ability to cruise into smaller ports so they book only small ships, while others love the fun and variety of the mega ships.

I hope you now understand what I am trying to say, I am not pushing any line, nor do I think the industry ratings are perfect, I am simply saying this is the way it is. I guess it is like a school district. Just because one is rated about another, doesn't always mean anything or a survey; they are only as good as the person who is doing them and we all have to take this into consideration.
I totally get what you are saying. I was just surprised to see Viking on that list. No cruise line is perfect and that's why it's so nice to have some choices. I have friends that won't sail anybody but Carnival and they were shocked that we didn't care for it. To each their own!

Cruising has changed so much since we took our first cruise just 15 years ago. And not necessarily for the better. But we have been enough and have visited the same ports so many times, it's hard to find a cruise that is new and exciting for us. Now we are looking at the ships a little more closely to make sure it will be a good fit for us.

Old 09-05-2012, 07:03 AM

Quote:
I totally get what you are saying. I was just surprised to see Viking on that list. No cruise line is perfect and that's why it's so nice to have some choices. I have friends that won't sail anybody but Carnival and they were shocked that we didn't care for it. To each their own!

Cruising has changed so much since we took our first cruise just 15 years ago. And not necessarily for the better. But we have been enough and have visited the same ports so many times, it's hard to find a cruise that is new and exciting for us. Now we are looking at the ships a little more closely to make sure it will be a good fit for us.
I know what you mean about the changes: our first cruise was in about 1983 or 84; we were on the smallest mass marketed ship at sea and by far the cheapest and oldest. Though our cabin couldn't have been 100 sq ft (3 of us) the cruise was a memory we will never forget, from service beyond belief, to food that we could only get in a 4 or 5 star restaurant...Everything was perfect and we still talk about it. I am sure, when we got back after that week cruise my friends wanted to say: ok, shut up already;;we don't want to hear bout it anymore. Now, unless you can afford and/or choose a luxury or certainly a premium line you get middle of the road food and service or you pay for everything. I am waiting for the day they charge us to use the pool. (only kidding of course) But we do need to remember resort areas are now charging a resort fee at hotels, so everyone is getting us one way or the other.

Though NCL isn't anywhere near the top as far as most are concerned, and yes, the repeat ports are getting boring, we choose them because we have sailed them so many times, we are top rated return guests. it is like flying a certain airline or staying at a certain hotel chain,, those frequest guest programs are there for a reason...

Nita

Old 09-06-2012, 08:19 PM

2,866 posts, read 8,469,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GlendaRN View Post
Diane,

I appreciate your response. I think, from reading posts both here and cruisecritic, I am over cruising and would much rather fly to a beach somewhere and make all my own decisions of when and where I want to do what. Kind of disappointing since earlier cruises I had been on were quite enjoyable. Maybe I'm just getting too picky but if I'm on vacation thats how I feel.
Glenda, The All-inclusives have wonderful food. I just went to a Sandals in Jamaica, and the food surpased any cruise food. My daughter is going to a Sandals for her honeymoon.

Old 09-08-2012, 01:07 AM

774 posts, read 1,424,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
This is getting a little rediculous: I am simply telling you what how the industry groups various lines and companies. Who may or may not be listed is an individual preferance...I could add, Seadream to the list as well, but I am simply the lines that are mentioned. end of debate for me.
What's "rediculous" (sic) is your insistence on "winning" an internet argument, with a grand total of zero evidence offered. Simply saying that you received something in the mail is hardly dispositive. Your endless bragging isn't convincing anyone, but your inability to construct a coherent sentence speaks volumes.

Again, since you're so confused: aside from Princess & Queens Grills, and despite any pretensions to the contrary, Cunard is the very definition of a mass-market cruise line. A quick visit to their website, with even a cursory glance at their stateroom offerings, will convince anyone who hasn't had the misfortune to ride on one of their ships. The pretentious Cunard "rep" comes from generations ago--the company today is owned by the Carnival Corporation.

Old 09-09-2012, 02:19 PM

26,590 posts, read 54,627,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Archguy View Post
What's "rediculous" (sic) is your insistence on "winning" an internet argument, with a grand total of zero evidence offered. Simply saying that you received something in the mail is hardly dispositive. Your endless bragging isn't convincing anyone, but your inability to construct a coherent sentence speaks volumes.

Again, since you're so confused: aside from Princess & Queens Grills, and despite any pretensions to the contrary, Cunard is the very definition of a mass-market cruise line. A quick visit to their website, with even a cursory glance at their stateroom offerings, will convince anyone who hasn't had the misfortune to ride on one of their ships. The pretentious Cunard "rep" comes from generations ago--the company today is owned by the Carnival Corporation.
I stayed at a resort hotel earlier this week that described itself as "eight stars." AAA would have given it 3 diamonds and Mobil most likely would have given it two stars.

I don't use a travel agent because in all honesty I've traveled far more in the past year than the average travel agent will in a lifetime, and have far more accurate knowledge and no bias when determining the true level of service or amenities. I trust my own knowledge far more than what a biased and invested travel agent is going to try to convince me of--particularly when it comes to mass market cruise lines.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Cruises
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or