Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Cruises
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-23-2012, 08:50 AM

14,249 posts, read 17,859,118 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
you are right, none of those are what is thought to be upscale, for marketing purposes, Celebrity, HAL and even Princess (why I don't know) are considered primuim lines, but when we think upscale we normally think luxury or I do; those are the Cunard, Crystal, Seabourn, SeaDream and a few others. Yes, when you take into consideration all that is offered, often including shore excursions, on the luxury lines, they are not that more more expensive, but they still are pricier. I think it depends on what one expects from a vacation.

For many, like you say, cruising every couple of years is worth it for the total luxury experience, for others, once a year on a HAL type of line is perfect and for others cruisning on the mid priced, lines make the ideal vacation for a family or for those who enjoy cruising more often. Just like some people would be quite satisfied with Holiday Inns or Comfort Inns, some want to experience a little more luxury and choose Hyatts, or Hyatts and there are those who would not consider anything less than a Four Seasons or Rtiz Carlton. And still others that would prefer to go a step higher and stay at a Peninsula type.

Nita
I am booked on a Seabourn cruise next month. Having read some of the comments above, I decided to run a few numbers.

I compared my cruise with a similar length Royal Caribbean cruise leaving from the same port and at the same time of year. As the smallest Seabourn room/suite is a Junior Suite (300 sq. ft.) I compared it to an RC Junior Suite (200sq. ft.). I then estimated the cost of drinks (my wife thinks I underestmated that ), use of speciality restaurants, tips , etc. that are included on Seabourn but not on RC.

Obviously, the pricing is variable as location of the cabin can affect it. However, my conclusion was that the price differential was much less than I expected. Seabourn was around 20% - 40% more expensive. Having cruised with both lines, it is my view that you get a lot for that extra cost.

Also worth pointing out, you can cruise with RC for a lot less than Seabourn if you choose a cabin category below that of a Junior Suite.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2012, 12:55 PM

77,772 posts, read 104,226,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggy001 View Post
I am booked on a Seabourn cruise next month. Having read some of the comments above, I decided to run a few numbers.

I compared my cruise with a similar length Royal Caribbean cruise leaving from the same port and at the same time of year. As the smallest Seabourn room/suite is a Junior Suite (300 sq. ft.) I compared it to an RC Junior Suite (200sq. ft.). I then estimated the cost of drinks (my wife thinks I underestmated that ), use of speciality restaurants, tips , etc. that are included on Seabourn but not on RC.

Obviously, the pricing is variable as location of the cabin can affect it. However, my conclusion was that the price differential was much less than I expected. Seabourn was around 20% - 40% more expensive. Having cruised with both lines, it is my view that you get a lot for that extra cost.

Also worth pointing out, you can cruise with RC for a lot less than Seabourn if you choose a cabin category below that of a Junior Suite.
you are right to a degree, yes, you get a much better product and if you have certain types of discounts the difference is even less. But remember, the average cruiser will choose a standard outside cabin or perhaps a balcony, keeping the price down more. The luxury liners are great for 1-the person who is content to cruise once every few years and have it thier way: 2-the person who has extra bucks to spend and 3rd the person who does get good enough discounts to offset the additional cost. This isn't the average, Mr and Mrs cruiser.

Now, go have a wonderful cruise and enjoy all those specail extras Seabourne does offer.

Old 08-23-2012, 01:21 PM

26,585 posts, read 61,854,793 times
Quote:
sorry, I am a recently retired TA (only a few months) and Cunard is considered among the upscale lines. Every cruise line has a catagory, and Cunard is one in the upper end. I am not saying I agree, I do not think Princess falls into the same catagory as HAL either, but this is the industry ratings I am referring to. Yes, I certainly do know something about cruising.
Upscale and luxury are very different animals.

Old 08-23-2012, 01:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
Upscale and luxury are very different animals.
just received in the mail today a brochure and advertisement sent to me from the leading cruise agentcy in the world: here is a list of the ships being featured: the title of the flyer: is cruise the luxury liners: the list:

Cunard
Crystal
Seabourn
Silversea
Regent
Viking River cruises
Oceana
Compagnie Du Ponant

BTW: I am very much aware of the difference in upscale and luxury liners. 20 years in the travel industry taught me a few things, maybe not a lot, but a few. Remember, these catagories may not be what you think of and you may have had a horrible experience on any of them, I am simply talking about how the liners are classified. This doesn't mean I agree...but Cunard is listed in the luxury catagory.

I have eaten about 3 or 4 times at Ruths Chris: I do not think they are even close to the classification the restaurant assoc puts them in: that doesn't make me right, based on the qualifcations they do fit into the catagory...I happen to think they are way over rated.

Old 08-24-2012, 08:23 AM

14,249 posts, read 17,859,118 times
Quote:
you are right to a degree, yes, you get a much better product and if you have certain types of discounts the difference is even less. But remember, the average cruiser will choose a standard outside cabin or perhaps a balcony, keeping the price down more. The luxury liners are great for 1-the person who is content to cruise once every few years and have it thier way: 2-the person who has extra bucks to spend and 3rd the person who does get good enough discounts to offset the additional cost. This isn't the average, Mr and Mrs cruiser.

Now, go have a wonderful cruise and enjoy all those specail extras Seabourne does offer.
All good points. We love cruising and we are willing to pay a premium for that luxury experience. For us the luxury is in the lack of crowds (our ship is 450 passengers), never having to sign for a drink, not having to buy a 'wine package', having a choice of restaurants and the great food and service. We have cruised RC and even on a mass market line would always take a Junior Suite at the very least as we like a bit of space.

Old 08-24-2012, 12:38 PM

26,585 posts, read 61,854,793 times
Quote:
just received in the mail today a brochure and advertisement sent to me from the leading cruise agentcy in the world: here is a list of the ships being featured: the title of the flyer: is cruise the luxury liners: the list:

Cunard
Crystal
Seabourn
Silversea
Regent
Viking River cruises
Oceana
Compagnie Du Ponant

BTW: I am very much aware of the difference in upscale and luxury liners. 20 years in the travel industry taught me a few things, maybe not a lot, but a few. Remember, these catagories may not be what you think of and you may have had a horrible experience on any of them, I am simply talking about how the liners are classified. This doesn't mean I agree...but Cunard is listed in the luxury catagory.

I have eaten about 3 or 4 times at Ruths Chris: I do not think they are even close to the classification the restaurant assoc puts them in: that doesn't make me right, based on the qualifcations they do fit into the catagory...I happen to think they are way over rated.
It seems that that list is incorrect or at least incomplete. I don't see the PG listed. I'd also suggest that Azamara and Wind Star belong on that list if Cunard and Regent do.

Old 08-25-2012, 11:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
It seems that that list is incorrect or at least incomplete. I don't see the PG listed. I'd also suggest that Azamara and Wind Star belong on that list if Cunard and Regent do.
This is getting a little rediculous: I am simply telling you what how the industry groups various lines and companies. Who may or may not be listed is an individual preferance...I could add, Seadream to the list as well, but I am simply the lines that are mentioned. end of debate for me.

Old 08-29-2012, 03:54 PM

2,865 posts, read 9,342,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GlendaRN View Post
I would think the size of the ship and when built makes a difference of the size of the cabins. I would like to know which ship you are refering to as we are thinking about taking NCL this summer to Alaska.
Glenda, I loved NCL and I have cruised all of the mainstream lines. I hve never seen Carnival put above all the rest. I am a travel agent and I happen to get the largest commission from Carnival, but in my opinion its at the bottom of all the lines I've traveled on . NCL is mainstream as is Carnival. Upscale would be Cunard, Windstar, Regent Seven Seas, Crystal, etc. I rate HAL at the top of the mainsteams.
Yes, Carnival does have the largest inside cabins, but I have to admit, I've never cruised in an inside. NCL has some of the largest suites at sea.

Old 08-30-2012, 12:49 PM

1,533 posts, read 1,586,645 times
Quote:

Cunard
Crystal
Seabourn
Silversea
Regent
Viking River cruises
Oceana
Compagnie Du Ponant

Viking is one of the WORST river cruise companies to go with. So many others that are so much better and for less! We will be going on our 3rd river cruise the end of November on Danube. It's a great way to travel too.

We are mostly Princess cruisers for the big ships. Have tried Carnival and will never go back. Liked Celebrity but for the cost difference, will stay with Princess.

Old 08-31-2012, 11:05 AM

68 posts, read 187,051 times
Diane,

I appreciate your response. I think, from reading posts both here and cruisecritic, I am over cruising and would much rather fly to a beach somewhere and make all my own decisions of when and where I want to do what. Kind of disappointing since earlier cruises I had been on were quite enjoyable. Maybe I'm just getting too picky but if I'm on vacation thats how I feel.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Cruises