U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Cruises
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-13-2012, 08:08 AM

6,936 posts, read 7,263,577 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertpolyglot View Post
Mexico is a real problem. Period. Why bother?
The cruise opportunities for the Mexican Riviera have been so restricted, curtailed that it almost makes no sense to book one. The people who do book seem to mostly be from the West Coast and seek inexpensive, close-at-hand cruises and don't really care where they're going as long as they're leaving home.

People who book cruises that stop along the Riviera Maya, Cozumel, etc., look for different experiences, it seems to me, and travel to those Mexican ports and onward seem to be almost all trouble-free.

So, while some Mexican ports of call ... Mazatlan and Acapulco, principally ... have experienced serious violence and presented risks to crews and passengers, not all ports in the country should be looked upon as risky.

Some areas of the nation are enbroiled in a war and it can be difficult to the uninitiated traveler to figure-out where it's safe to go, and when.

http://www.travelweekly.com/uploaded...MEXICOMAP4.pdf
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2012, 09:05 AM

72,014 posts, read 83,671,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gomexico View Post
The cruise opportunities for the Mexican Riviera have been so restricted, curtailed that it almost makes no sense to book one. The people who do book seem to mostly be from the West Coast and seek inexpensive, close-at-hand cruises and don't really care where they're going as long as they're leaving home.

People who book cruises that stop along the Riviera Maya, Cozumel, etc., look for different experiences, it seems to me, and travel to those Mexican ports and onward seem to be almost all trouble-free.

So, while some Mexican ports of call ... Mazatlan and Acapulco, principally ... have experienced serious violence and presented risks to crews and passengers, not all ports in the country should be looked upon as risky.

Some areas of the nation are enbroiled in a war and it can be difficult to the uninitiated traveler to figure-out where it's safe to go, and when.

http://www.travelweekly.com/uploaded...MEXICOMAP4.pdf
Fro all practical purposes there are no stops in Acapulco or Mazatlan anymore, most lines have pulled out of the Mex Riv altogether but the Gulf side is still very busy, thriving and those ports are safe, as long as passengers don't go off on their own, with no idea what they are doing.

Nita

Old 07-01-2012, 10:15 AM

12,408 posts, read 16,485,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newdaawn View Post
Mexico would be the "last" place I would consider to vacation.
Me, too.
I often search 'Vacations to Go' for the latest cruise deals and check out the itinerary. There are so many resorts and cruises that are in Mexico.
They are at good prices for a reason. People don't want to go there.
I avoid Mexico. It's a shame that they're so close.

A person in Europe has so many cultures to experience on vacation.
It's probably my ignorance, but we don't seem to have that sort of choice and we have to pay for that long journey across the ocean in order to have that experience.

I know very little, though, about the differences in cultures and cuisine south of the border. If I were in England I would have Scandinavia in one direction and Spain in the other.

Old 07-01-2012, 10:28 AM

12,408 posts, read 16,485,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cat1116 View Post
I'll have to say that can happen anytime, anywhere. DH and I could have taken a cruise when we were in Italy and that was the year that the ship's passengers were taken hostage. I believe some base personnel set out warnings just like someone [gomexico??] here had mentioned of the Dept of State (DOS) travel adversaries.

Breaking news: Achille Lauro passengers taken hostage - CBC Archives
Breaking news: Achille Lauro passengers taken hostage
Broadcast Date: Oct. 7, 1985
Passengers aboard the Achille Lauro cruise ship have been taken hostage by Palestinian guerrillas.

Up until this thread, the only drawback of taking those cruises I could think of at the time was getting sick or colliding with something.
Yeah, well the mid East is another area that I don't want to dock in, and some of the lines that I am interested in seem to go there.
The Achille Lauro, if you look it up, was renamed, which is supposed to be bad luck for a ship. That seems to have been the case here, as she had an explosion, collision, multiple fires, etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Cruises
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or