U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Cruises
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 12-25-2012, 01:57 PM
 
Location: Earth Wanderer, longing for the stars.
12,408 posts, read 16,479,274 times
Reputation: 8777

Advertisements

Yes. Even these days cruises are catering to specialty markets, so it must be lucrative. I think a cruise for dog owners would really be a nice thing. I just hope they would allow non dog owners aboard.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 12-25-2012, 11:34 PM
 
Location: Out there somewhere...a traveling man.
39,541 posts, read 47,732,905 times
Reputation: 110380
Just imagine someone on the poopdeck slipping and falling on a leftover present. The cruise line would have a major lawsuit.
And I agree with others, the odors, the fur, allergies, the unexpected jump on your lap, sniffing, nipping, barking, and/or whatever else dogs (and cats) do would make the cruise un-desireable.
Animals in unfamiliar surroundings can act much differently than at home where they feel more comfortable.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-26-2012, 08:14 AM
 
26,590 posts, read 54,595,142 times
Reputation: 13019
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldengrain View Post
Yes. Even these days cruises are catering to specialty markets, so it must be lucrative. I think a cruise for dog owners would really be a nice thing. I just hope they would allow non dog owners aboard.
I can't imagine a cruise line ever offering a group cruise to a group who wanted to bring their dogs or cats along. It would have to be a whole ship charter. I can't imagine any of the luxury lines allowing pets in rooms (or the majority of people posting that they want to bring their pet along paying a minimum of $4000 per week per passenger), which means that you'd have to charter a larger ship, and I don't see there ever being a market for 1500+ cabins with pets and a $1000 or more extra fee per cabin for deep cleaning and missing two sailing days to accomplish it at the end of the cruise.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-26-2012, 05:06 PM
 
Location: Earth Wanderer, longing for the stars.
12,408 posts, read 16,479,274 times
Reputation: 8777
Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
I can't imagine a cruise line ever offering a group cruise to a group who wanted to bring their dogs or cats along. It would have to be a whole ship charter. I can't imagine any of the luxury lines allowing pets in rooms (or the majority of people posting that they want to bring their pet along paying a minimum of $4000 per week per passenger), which means that you'd have to charter a larger ship, and I don't see there ever being a market for 1500+ cabins with pets and a $1000 or more extra fee per cabin for deep cleaning and missing two sailing days to accomplish it at the end of the cruise.
I don't know. They certainly try to clean ships well to prevent virus spreading.

Cats are unpredictable and notoriously hard to manage if spooked. They also squirm and can get out of a harness unless the harness is excessively tight.

Dogs, on the other hand, are bigger and most that I come in contact with in my neighborhood are very well behaved. Better than kids.

A cruise would be nice, but I especially think a crossing would be sensible because a cat or two can be transported under airplane seats by a couple. There is no SAFE way of transporting dogs across the ocean, to my knowledge.

Cunard crossings of the Atlantic are actually cheaper than most airfare for people. Whoopie Goldberg used to travel across with her personal bus as baggage.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-26-2012, 05:56 PM
 
Location: The South
5,225 posts, read 3,635,618 times
Reputation: 7901
Almost everyone has a "cause". You don't seem to be an exception. I'm sure you will be surprised to learn that not all people share your love for cats and dogs.

I don't even stay in motels, that advertise "Pets Welcome". I certainly will never cruise with pet dogs or cats on board.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-26-2012, 06:24 PM
 
Location: Earth Wanderer, longing for the stars.
12,408 posts, read 16,479,274 times
Reputation: 8777
Quote:
Originally Posted by Southern man View Post
Almost everyone has a "cause". You don't seem to be an exception. I'm sure you will be surprised to learn that not all people share your love for cats and dogs.

I don't even stay in motels, that advertise "Pets Welcome". I certainly will never cruise with pet dogs or cats on board.
But, nobody's asking you to.

I would like crossings allowing dogs, though.

I would also appreciate specialty cruises allowing dogs.

I imagine that these things would be advertised as such. You could avoid them. They have gay cruises and psychic themed cruises, etc. They don't appeal to everyone, and that's fine. Just as restaurants have vegetarian and Kosher dishes, it's a specialty market.

I'm sorry that you're allergic. I have a problem with dairy and mold, which includes certain cheeses and mushrooms.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-27-2012, 10:27 AM
 
26,590 posts, read 54,595,142 times
Reputation: 13019
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldengrain View Post
But, nobody's asking you to.

I would like crossings allowing dogs, though.

I would also appreciate specialty cruises allowing dogs.

I imagine that these things would be advertised as such. You could avoid them. They have gay cruises and psychic themed cruises, etc. They don't appeal to everyone, and that's fine. Just as restaurants have vegetarian and Kosher dishes, it's a specialty market.

I'm sorry that you're allergic. I have a problem with dairy and mold, which includes certain cheeses and mushrooms.
The difference is that those other theme cruises don't leave behind smells and allergens. You can avoid eating foods with cheese and mushrooms, someone assigned a cabin a dog or cat had slept in prior doesn't have that option.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-27-2012, 10:53 AM
 
Location: Out West
22,736 posts, read 16,826,114 times
Reputation: 26294
Perhaps someone mentioned this but will tell you, as someone who has worked for cruise lines in the past, the only way you are allowed to bring your pet on board is if that pet is a certified service animal.

A cruise is not a good place for a pet.

As for Cunard and their idea, don't see it going off that well. More people are going to travel withOUT their pets than those who are.

Frankly, it is not a good idea to cruise with your pets. To think that it is ok is very naive thinking.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-27-2012, 02:54 PM
 
Location: Earth Wanderer, longing for the stars.
12,408 posts, read 16,479,274 times
Reputation: 8777
Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
The difference is that those other theme cruises don't leave behind smells and allergens. You can avoid eating foods with cheese and mushrooms, someone assigned a cabin a dog or cat had slept in prior doesn't have that option.
But those cabins are cleaned, especially now that there are all these strange viruses aboard ships.

With all due respect, the world is not going to change for we few who have problems. It is up to us to be proactive and to to our best to avoid those bad situations.

I am not advocating that every ship be dog friendly. Just some, and only if it increases the market. I think it might. I also think there should be a way for people with homes both in Europe and the US (lucky dogs) to bring their dogs over with them in a safe way. Maybe if ships did this the airlines would start being more careful.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-27-2012, 02:57 PM
 
Location: Earth Wanderer, longing for the stars.
12,408 posts, read 16,479,274 times
Reputation: 8777
Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Wolves In Snow View Post
Perhaps someone mentioned this but will tell you, as someone who has worked for cruise lines in the past, the only way you are allowed to bring your pet on board is if that pet is a certified service animal.

A cruise is not a good place for a pet.

As for Cunard and their idea, don't see it going off that well. More people are going to travel withOUT their pets than those who are.

Frankly, it is not a good idea to cruise with your pets. To think that it is ok is very naive thinking.
My primary naive thought is not cruising with Fido for pleasure, but just having a way to safely get him across the pond.

I don't have a dog, but sympathize with their owners. I would also love to be on a cruise with dogs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Cruises
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top