U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Cruises
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-19-2012, 05:26 AM

12,408 posts, read 16,475,201 times

Advertisements

NOVA did a special, which is repeated tonight on Why Ships Sink.

It gave opinions on cruise ships and their current design.
Ships are currently built so high that the center of gravity is high, which makes for a more comfortable voyage, but also makes the ship less stable. They cited a case in which two ships collided when one was swept sideways by the wind and no attempts from the bridge of that ship could prevent the collision.

Another major problem was that some cruise ship have a full double hull which means that there is an outside shell of a hull that may fill with water from some impact but the remaining inside hull and the entire ship remains dry and afloat. For financial reasons many cruise ships are only built with a partial double hull. This only protects from collisions to the bottom of the ship. The Carnival/Costa was hit from the side and only had a half secondary hull which was why it sunk.

The aviation industry mandates that pilots do practice time on flight simulators. This makes a reaction to a crisis rehearsed and automatic. It is an attempt to override 'reaction freeze' which can set in when facing an emergency.
The maritime industry does not mandate the crew to do time on simulators. It is strictly voluntary.
The captain of the Costa had only been a cruise ship captain for four years. Cruise captains are required to do a number of social functions as well as their more serious duties.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2012, 05:44 AM

328 posts, read 574,247 times
I thought it was just cause they got holes in them.

Old 04-19-2012, 07:38 AM

14,078 posts, read 17,660,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Budke View Post
I thought it was just cause they got holes in them.

Silly you. It's not the holes which cause them to sink...it's the water which comes in those holes!

Old 04-19-2012, 07:46 AM

4,308 posts, read 11,803,075 times
I watched that last night. Scared the bejesus out of me! Now I know why I will never take a cruise, ever. The story of the musician who basically saved an entire shipload of passengers after the crew fled and the captain hid under the staircase was extraordinary. I hope those cowardly $#!*s got serious jail time.

Old 04-19-2012, 04:40 PM

12,408 posts, read 16,475,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chilaili View Post
I watched that last night. Scared the bejesus out of me! Now I know why I will never take a cruise, ever. The story of the musician who basically saved an entire shipload of passengers after the crew fled and the captain hid under the staircase was extraordinary. I hope those cowardly $#!*s got serious jail time.
Yup. That same entertainer rescued people from another cruise ship that caught fire.

I will go on cruises. You can look at the ships online and see how high up they are built. Ocean liners are supposed to be more stable than cruise ships. I will cross the ocean on Cunard. I will go on other cruises by smaller ships without all those tiers on top. I guess a travel agent could find out if a particular ship had a full double hull.

The thing that is troubling, you really don't know how stable the captain and crew are, do you? You have no idea of their training.

Old 04-21-2012, 08:03 AM

14,253 posts, read 15,329,100 times
I go on cruises a lot. But I prefer the smaller, higher end, ships with fewer passengers. On my last cruise we rescued three fisherman who had been adrift, 70 miles from the nearest land for a couple of weeks .....

Rescued Samoan fishermen well despite two weeks lost at sea

TALANEI.COM :: LOCAL NEWS :: DETAILS (http://www.talanei.com/viewNews.php?storyID=6337 - broken link)

But the good news doesn't generally make the headlines.

Old 04-27-2012, 02:02 PM

14,752 posts, read 28,608,889 times
A couple of reasons:

1) They hit something: Titanic, Andrea Doria and Costa Concordia
2) There is a defect in the design: The Estonia was both a ship and a car ferry and, in heavy seas, took on water through its car loading door
3) A gigantic rogue wave: while the grand ocean liners could take the hit, I believe a smaller one could be capsized

Old 04-27-2012, 04:34 PM

42,663 posts, read 74,241,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stillkit View Post
Silly you. It's not the holes which cause them to sink...it's the water which comes in those holes!
Actually, it is the air that is forced out by the entering water, which defeats the buoyancy. That air leaves easily, because the tops of the holds are not sealed. Fatal design flaw.

Old 04-28-2012, 07:07 AM

42,663 posts, read 74,241,442 times
Don't forget loose lips.

Old 04-28-2012, 04:19 PM

34,371 posts, read 41,455,107 times
On a side note i've seen many documentaries on sunken ships particularly wooden ones,as wood floats i've wondered how a wooden ship can totaly sink,wouldnt it have a point at which it would just float and not sink any more.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Cruises
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or