Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Cruises
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-24-2012, 09:05 AM

6,413 posts, read 12,099,340 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NY Annie View Post
PLEASE, if you do not understand, go to the government pages and read and learn. It is actually quite simple.
You know, condescension really isn't necessary. And when I'm asked by an agent before boarding a cruise ship for my PASSPORT, I do understand what they're asking for.

I'm sure the website for the current regulations is correct. That doesn't mean it applied to my experience.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2012, 12:13 PM

9,019 posts, read 14,215,437 times
The US government requirements are one thing. Each port is an independent country, and US rules don't apply to them. You may not need a passport to re-enter the US, but you sure do to get off the ship at many ports. Canada included.

Old 05-24-2012, 05:44 PM

44,557 posts, read 61,296,927 times
Having a valid passport is the easiest way to travel anywhere the world. It's the universal ID and can save a lot of hassles and confusion. They're good for 10 years.

Old 05-24-2012, 10:51 PM

39,031 posts, read 22,960,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nitram View Post
Having a valid passport is the easiest way to travel anywhere the world. It's the universal ID and can save a lot of hassles and confusion. They're good for 10 years.
I so agree with this ... I had a trip planned to NYC last summer and nearly could not do the trip once I realized that my California ID was going to expire during my trip. Fortunately, I remembered that my passport was sufficient Identification while flying and did not have to cancel my trip due to my lack of foresight in getting my ID renewed

Old 05-25-2012, 09:01 AM

8,568 posts, read 18,045,885 times
I have recommended repeatedly not to travel without a passport. One cannot guarantee that a problem will not occur and returning to the US by AIR requires a passport - period, no exceptions. Emergencies happen.

As I said several times, one can cruise without a passport. I also said that GETTING OFF THE SHIP at ports is not always going to happen without a passport/passcard. To some people, it doesn't matter. But seeing the port/island is why we cruise. I wouldn't consider leaving the states without a passport and I encourage others to do the same - but it is not required.

Just because a crewmember asked to see your passport doesn't make it a requirement.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Cruises