U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Cruises
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-30-2012, 02:05 PM

205 posts, read 360,652 times

Advertisements

I have never been on a cruise before. Truthfully have never had the desire as I would prefer to spend all of my time at the destination rather than on a ship. Not that I wouldn't go on a cruise. I would love to do an Alaskan cruise as I have heard good things about them. However, my question is: I have an opportunity to do a 28-day, South Pacific Cruise. I'm sure the person who has suggested this would opt for an inside cabin or at the most one with a "view." I have reservations concerning the length of time for a first-time cruise and having a limited (or no) view cabin for that length of time. Any thoughts, comments would be most appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2012, 08:49 AM

12,408 posts, read 16,517,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wwanderer View Post
To the OP, let us know which cruiselines you are considering. And if you don't know that, go study up on Cruise Critic.
If you want to really get a good comparison of prices of different cabin types across many cruise lines, try

Discount Cruises, Last Minute Cruises, Cruise, Cruise Line, Cruise Vacation

They have wonderful screens on their website that list everything together.
The screens seem to be full of facts rather than pictures and forum conversations.
You have search criteria by date, port that you want to leave from, where you want to go, duration of trip, rating of ship, etc.

Try it, you'll like it.

Last edited by goldengrain; 07-01-2012 at 09:40 AM..

Old 07-01-2012, 12:05 PM

22,835 posts, read 16,905,402 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadManofBethesda View Post
As someone who allegedly worked in the business, you should know better than to judge an entire cruise line by your experience on just one cruise on one ship. There's a reason that restaurant critics go to the same restaurant several times before writing a review of it.

As an example, I took a 30-day cruise around South America on Royal Caribbean's Mariner of the Seas in January of last year. It was my first cruise on RCL in almost 20 years so I didn't know what to expect in the way of cuisine. (I chose the cruise based on the itinerary, not RCL's reputation.) Well, the dining room food was just as you described: bland to a fault and below average quality in most respects. The deserts were the worst and were barely edible. I actually lost a couple of pounds by the end of the month.

However, I was not willing to condemn an entire cruise line based on one experience, so in October of last year, my wife and I took a 14-day transatlantic cruise from Barcelona to New Orleans on Mariner's sister ship, Voyager of the Seas. Once again, we chose the cruise for the itinerary. However this time, the food exceeded our expectations. It was tasty and seasoned well. I wouldn't call it 5-star or gourmet cuisine, but one can't expect as much on a mass market cruise line when the dining room has to feed 3000+ passengers a night.

One cruise line, two similar ships, but two vastly different experiences.
I love it when someone tries to tell me my opinion is wrong. It's my opinion. There is nothing to debate. You don't have to like it, but it's my opinion.

Get back to me when you wish to debate facts.

Old 07-02-2012, 10:51 AM

12,408 posts, read 16,517,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadManofBethesda View Post
As someone who allegedly worked in the business, you should know better than to judge an entire cruise line by your experience on just one cruise on one ship. There's a reason that restaurant critics go to the same restaurant several times before writing a review of it.

As an example, I took a 30-day cruise around South America on Royal Caribbean's Mariner of the Seas in January of last year. It was my first cruise on RCL in almost 20 years so I didn't know what to expect in the way of cuisine. (I chose the cruise based on the itinerary, not RCL's reputation.) Well, the dining room food was just as you described: bland to a fault and below average quality in most respects. The deserts were the worst and were barely edible. I actually lost a couple of pounds by the end of the month.

However, I was not willing to condemn an entire cruise line based on one experience, so in October of last year, my wife and I took a 14-day transatlantic cruise from Barcelona to New Orleans on Mariner's sister ship, Voyager of the Seas. Once again, we chose the cruise for the itinerary. However this time, the food exceeded our expectations. It was tasty and seasoned well. I wouldn't call it 5-star or gourmet cuisine, but one can't expect as much on a mass market cruise line when the dining room has to feed 3000+ passengers a night.

One cruise line, two similar ships, but two vastly different experiences.
Well, this is the way to force cruise lines to serve better food. Give them bad publicity when they do not. I like this site, in the UK, for critiques on specific ships:

Cruises for Cruises News, Reviews, Chat and Cruises Deals

People just post their review, sometimes lengthy, of the cruise they have been on.
There is a lot of variation, sailing to sailing, of the same ship, even.

Old 07-03-2012, 08:49 AM

1,977 posts, read 6,007,002 times
Default Up to you

Quote:
Originally Posted by karcon View Post
I have an opportunity to do a 28-day, South Pacific Cruise. I'm sure the person who has suggested this would opt for an inside cabin or at the most one with a "view." I have reservations concerning the length of time for a first-time cruise and having a limited (or no) view cabin for that length of time. Any thoughts, comments would be most appreciated!
We were hoping to do a 37-day HAL Volendam cruise in March, from Auckland to Vancouver. Lots of sea days between South Pacific stops. Unfortunately, that had to be canceled due to a heart operation. Because of that, I monitored posts about that cruise and never found any passenger comments . Why was that? Did they have a so-so time? Did they find the experience and boring overload? (Similarly, we had hardly any posts about a month-long South American cruise. I was glad I went but there was little to rave about).
We have taken more than 15 cruises, many of them lasting close to a month. Even though we love cruising and sea days, that is a very long time to be on a ship. So only you can decide if it is for you.
As to your question about an inside. My opinion is an inside is fine on a long trip like that with the following proviso. Make sure that your ship will have a walkable promenade deck. As long as you have that, you have a better balcony experience -- albeit a common balcony -- than anyone paying for a private balcony. Of course, you cannot sunbathe in the nude, but that's the shakes.
Other things to consider:
Our favorite on long cruises with lots of sea days -- and a South Pacific cruise has plenty of them -- is a HAL ship. And why is that? Because they have the most splendid libraries at sea. Enough books for everyone so that you can find something that interests them. Another benefit -- and this is restricted only to HAL -- is free internet access to the New York Times website. So you can read the paper free of charge every day.
HAL has a variety enrichment programs and interesting copassengers. Thus, on a month-long Mediterranean *** trans-Atlantic in November on the Nieuw Amsterdam, a number of passengers arranged impromptu interest groups that met to educate one another. A professor convened a group about global integration that was quite successful. And so on. There was also lots of ship-sponsored programming ranging from trivia to newly-wed games and such.
The secret to cruising is that you have to be able to develop your own rhythm that you enjoy. You go to the gym (if that's your bag) or, like me, decide after breakfast that this is a great time to take a nap.
We'll be spending November on the Costa Victoria zigzagging various Southeast Asia destinations. We have never been on Costa before, and lots of people are critical of it. We don't care, because our itinerary is so port-intensive that we will use the ship only as a base camp where we sleep and eat. The South Pacific cruise you are considering would be a totally different experience. You will have to like your surroundings because there won't be anything but water around you. Which is one reason an inside is as good as any cabin because there is nothing to see but waves. Some people like that monotony, others don't.

Addendum: The *** you see is the moderator or computer program having deleted a Latin word that means "with" because it seemingly comes close to a sexual expression. Hallelujah that the guardians or morals are protecting us.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Cruises
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or