Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Cruises
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-06-2012, 10:33 PM

11,177 posts, read 16,018,972 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggy001 View Post
Buy 100 Carnival shares (CCL) and get on-board credit as a shareholder perk. $125 for a seven day cruise, $250 for over seven days. And they pay a dividend as well.
That's not even close to being correct. Here are the correct dollar amounts:

cruises of 6 days or less: $50
cruises of 7-13 days: $100
cruises of 14 days or more: $250

Carnival Corporation | Investor Relations | Shareholder Benefit

One other thing to note is that if you own 100 shares of CCL, you get that credit on all CCL-owned cruise lines, not just Carnival. It should also be noted that RCL has a similar program as well, although the obc figures are a little different:

cruises of 5 nights or less: $50
cruises of 6-9 nights: $100
cruises of 10-13 nights: $200
cruises of 14 or more nights: $250

Royal Caribbean Cruises Ltd. : Investor Relations : NewPageTitle

I received $1,200 in onboard credits just last year alone for my five cruises on Holland America, Celebrity, and Royal Caribbean. I also received another $200 credit just last month for a 13-day transatlantic cruise on RCL. It really is a terrific perk.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2012, 05:48 AM

14,247 posts, read 17,922,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadManofBethesda View Post
That's not even close to being correct. Here are the correct dollar amounts:

cruises of 6 days or less: $50
cruises of 7-13 days: $100
cruises of 14 days or more: $250

Carnival Corporation | Investor Relations | Shareholder Benefit

One other thing to note is that if you own 100 shares of CCL, you get that credit on all CCL-owned cruise lines, not just Carnival. It should also be noted that RCL has a similar program as well, although the obc figures are a little different:

cruises of 5 nights or less: $50
cruises of 6-9 nights: $100
cruises of 10-13 nights: $200
cruises of 14 or more nights: $250

Royal Caribbean Cruises Ltd. : Investor Relations : NewPageTitle

I received $1,200 in onboard credits just last year alone for my five cruises on Holland America, Celebrity, and Royal Caribbean. I also received another $200 credit just last month for a 13-day transatlantic cruise on RCL. It really is a terrific perk.
I stand corrected.

Since I bought my Carnival shares in 2010, I have had $750 in OBC (3 cruises) with another $250 to come for my next cruise. Plus I have received ordinary dividends.

Old 06-09-2012, 08:54 PM

7,072 posts, read 9,619,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZPam View Post
Just returned from the Carnival Victory. While the cruise itself was fine, the ports were great, etc, I felt like we were cruising with the people of Walmart. You know those emails that go around? We honestly could have started our own People of Carnival. All I can say is Wow! Have to say the food was horrible! Buffet was especially bad. But I do think it's one of those things that has gone downhill due to the economy and cruise lines trying to cut back. Did I starve? No, but it was the first cruise that I've ever lost weight!

I will stick up for NY Annie on this one too. Children should not be allowed to run around and disturb the entire dining room. Yes, "bad" parents are on vacation too, but that doesn't make it right. I've been know to speak up to parents who have children out of control and they always seem so shocked to hear their little darlings are bothering somebody else.

That is interesting. I was on the same Carnival Victory in April and I thought the food was very good. I did gain weight. If you did not like the buffet, there were other eating options available. Actually, the main dining room was open during lunch so you could get full course lunches there instead of standing in line at the buffet.

I did not see any wild kids running around during the dinner.

Old 06-10-2012, 06:28 AM

5,264 posts, read 6,405,851 times
I personally thought that cruising was dreadfully boring as being stuck in a hotel for a full day is not my idea of fun, and the hours in the ports were more alligned with the schedules kepts by the elderly (or farm hands) rather than younger people - 7:00am to 3:00pm seemed like the normal docking schedule, so I had to get up earlier on vacation than I do for work. It also destroyed any illusions of Jamaica or the Cayman Islands as paradise; they have decent parts, but the majority are dumps worse than the bad parts of the town I live in.

But the only ridiculous thing I saw on the cruise was the table of 4 ladies behind ours relentlessly hitting on the youngish Russian waiter everyday at formal dinner. They would do every cliched thing in the book to get him to bend over or stick dollar bills in his belt or pocket- it was like watching a daily hour of sexual harrassment. He would vent to us after it was over. I felt bad for him, but it was the best entertainment on the ship by far.

There was also the drunk topless lady who broke her ankle jumping off a table in Mexico, but that was in port and not on the ship.

Old 07-08-2012, 08:48 PM

34,254 posts, read 20,537,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkiScree View Post

I was simply saying that, especially with business catering to tourons, you gotta be prepared to run into some less than sultry behavior from guests of all ages, just not kids.

FWIW, I have no kids. I just grew up at Disney World and around touron central so I must be used to idiot parents and realize the kids can't help it, I have legs to walk away, and I'll be around for at least (I hope) 60 more years so I'm not going to let something so petty ruin a vacation.

My vacations are for fun, not for judging everyone around me because I think their kids suck or they're eating too much.

Reminds me of this saying:

"Intelligent people talk about ideas. Average people talk about things. Small people talk about other people."

So calling people "tourons" is your idea of being nonjudgmental? BTW, you are talking about other people when you use that term.

Old 07-30-2012, 01:42 AM

774 posts, read 1,693,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Wolves In Snow View Post
You can get food 24 hours a day on a cruise. Really, you are not going to starve. Keep that in mind at the buffet.
Biggest laugh I've had all day, thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by NY Annie View Post

The most ridiculous was on Norwegian where children cruise free
You couldn't pay me. Another reason to cruise only when school is in session.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NY Annie View Post

My anger was not with those parents alone - it was also with the staff who did nothing. I realize staff is told to make passengers comfortable - but in making life for the parents of screaming children comfortable, some of us were forced to suffer bad parenting.
Trouble is, the very same people who are monstrous, selfish & neglectful parents are also the ones who will threaten the staff with a lawsuit should they intervene.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkiScree View Post
Have you ever thought that the "bad" parents are on vacation too?
Holy Mary Mother of God.

Quote:
That's just life and hardly a ridiculous occurance on a cruise ship. Hell, that's a regular occurance at most restaurants.
We obviously go to different sorts of restaurants. Thank God.

Quote:
Never ceases to amaze me how people will continually do something and complain about it instead of avoiding it or changing their routine. That is the definition of crazy but, hey, tourists are like that.
Memorialized for posterity...and irony.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chatteress View Post
I would have complained to the crew about this ... If the parents cannot control their children, then somebody needs to set some boundaries as other cruisers paid good money for their cruising experience and should not have to have their experience ruined by bratty, undisciplined children.
As mentioned above, these are the same kinds of people who will scream at the staff, or worse.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NinaN View Post
My funniest cruise experience wasn't on a cruise...but the RC cruise ship pulled up to St. Martin, a bunch of cruisers took the bus to Orient Beach. A couple made their way down to the "clothing optional" end, got terribly drunk, and forgot to re-dress when making their way back to the bus stop. Really, they weren't the couple you wanted to see naked.
Never are, are they?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOverdog View Post
I personally thought that cruising was dreadfully boring as being stuck in a hotel for a full day is not my idea of fun, and the hours in the ports were more alligned with the schedules kepts by the elderly (or farm hands) rather than younger people - 7:00am to 3:00pm seemed like the normal docking schedule, so I had to get up earlier on vacation than I do for work. It also destroyed any illusions of Jamaica or the Cayman Islands as paradise; they have decent parts, but the majority are dumps worse than the bad parts of the town I live in.
I'd skip the Caribbean--it's the absolute dregs of the cruising world. Agree with you about the hours though... I've asked "why must we leave so early just so we can get to the next port too early as well?" but have never received an adequate response.

Quote:
Originally Posted by _redbird_ View Post
So calling people "tourons" is your idea of being nonjudgmental? BTW, you are talking about other people when you use that term.
It was a desperate attempt to seem superior, it would appear.

Old 02-12-2014, 10:51 AM

8 posts, read 8,027 times
i just came back from a rock and roll cruise called shiprocked.
you have not seen anything till you have been on one of them
put rock and roll bands and fans on a ship and add alchohal and it makes for some fun times.
i saw people in pj's.
2 were dressed in a body stocking (they were young and good lookingI
my cabin mate and i got in an elevator and the 2 young very intoxicated men were discusing who had a the biggest package. (if you get what i mean).

but my favorite, was from my cabinmate. she witnessed this.

there was a band member who was very intoxicated, enough he passed out in a resturant. the crew memember then proceeded to decorate him with markers and food while passengers videotaped and took pictures of it.

all i can say everything was in good fun. there was no fights or trouble on the ship.
but the memeories

Old 02-12-2014, 10:58 AM

8 posts, read 8,027 times
archguy i loved your post i laughed and i mean this in a good way

Old 02-15-2014, 11:53 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,739,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by catlover5050 View Post
i just came back from a rock and roll cruise called shiprocked.
you have not seen anything till you have been on one of them
put rock and roll bands and fans on a ship and add alchohal and it makes for some fun times.
i saw people in pj's.
2 were dressed in a body stocking (they were young and good lookingI
my cabin mate and i got in an elevator and the 2 young very intoxicated men were discusing who had a the biggest package. (if you get what i mean).

but my favorite, was from my cabinmate. she witnessed this.

there was a band member who was very intoxicated, enough he passed out in a resturant. the crew memember then proceeded to decorate him with markers and food while passengers videotaped and took pictures of it.

all i can say everything was in good fun. there was no fights or trouble on the ship.
but the memeories
I am smiling from ear to ear; sounds like a really fun cruise to me.

Old 02-18-2014, 05:42 AM

3,577 posts, read 4,510,119 times
On a Christmas cruise with Celebrity, there were several hundred children aboard.
Parents did not control them. They trashed the decorations, stole name plates off valuable art.
Caused the library to be closed and the weight room. There was a porthole in the floor in the dining room. It was cracked by wild children. No respect either.
The ship wound up imposing a curfew.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Cruises