Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Cruises
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-17-2012, 09:01 PM

7,639 posts, read 18,123,645 times

Advertisements

Have you ever been the witness of a ridiculous occurrence on a cruise?

For example, people showing up to the captain's dinner in their pajamas? People falling over drunk? People who can't keep their kids under control?

Tell your stories here!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2012, 05:18 AM

26,585 posts, read 62,038,899 times
I've seen all of the above, although instead of PJ's it was a tank top and cut offs.

Old 05-18-2012, 08:08 AM

2,382 posts, read 5,394,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tvdxer View Post

For example, people showing up to the captain's dinner in their pajamas? People falling over drunk? People who can't keep their kids under control?

Tell your stories here!
I've never been on a cruise but I've heard enough of these type stories to make me think that crusining isn't for me, LOL.

Old 05-18-2012, 08:53 AM

3,608 posts, read 7,921,245 times
I witnessed a ceremony to mark crossing the Arctic circle. It involved a crewmember pouring ice cubes down the neck of a passenger, with Neptune (another crewmember) with a trident looking on.

Certificates were distributed later.

Old 05-18-2012, 08:56 AM

26,329 posts, read 93,755,036 times
No free internet.

Old 05-18-2012, 09:17 AM

11,177 posts, read 16,016,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bakeneko View Post
I've never been on a cruise but I've heard enough of these type stories to make me think that crusining isn't for me, LOL.
As long as you stay away from the mass market cruise lines, you'll never come across anything like this. One of my favorite cruises was on a large sailboat with 70 or so cabins (Windstar). Here's a little six minute promotional video about Windstar. You'll see it is nothing like the above antics on mass market cruises:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oKuSdWVyZVI

Another favorite was a cruise with Seabourn, which was basically a large yacht with about 200 people total. Here's a promo that shows life aboard a Seabourn cruise.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YkfFpwqHIDk&feature=related

Old 05-18-2012, 09:35 AM

30,253 posts, read 23,733,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tvdxer View Post

Tell your stories here!
I have worked for two different cruise lines in the past...to share the ridiculous would take hours.

I will say, to all cruise lines, dear GOD do not EVER run out of fricken berries. Holy crap, you will have an uprising!

In the end though, how I see it: At least for the lines I worked for, these people paid a significant amount of money for their cruise. If they want to show up in their pajamas, while we prefer they didn't, let them.

I would also like to add: You can get food 24 hours a day on a cruise. Really, you are not going to starve. Keep that in mind at the buffet.

Old 05-19-2012, 06:49 AM

14,247 posts, read 17,921,045 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadManofBethesda View Post
As long as you stay away from the mass market cruise lines, you'll never come across anything like this. One of my favorite cruises was on a large sailboat with 70 or so cabins (Windstar). Here's a little six minute promotional video about Windstar. You'll see it is nothing like the above antics on mass market cruises:

Another favorite was a cruise with Seabourn, which was basically a large yacht with about 200 people total. Here's a promo that shows life aboard a Seabourn cruise.
We have cruised 5 times with Seabourn. It is expensive but you get a lot for your money. And never ridiculous ..... unless rescuing 3 fishermen in the middle of the Pacific counts as 'ridiculous'.

http://www.rnzi.com/pages/news.php?op=read&id=66315

Old 05-19-2012, 08:24 PM

7,595 posts, read 6,085,921 times
I cruised the first time in 1991 with the now defunct Commodore Cruise line on the Caribe, the smallest chip out of Miami, an old transatlantic ocean liner converted to a cruise ship. All the things our friends told us about on Carnival and RCCL, well, this was NOT. They had one tiny pool in the back, one dining hall open for meals only, no snack bar, no eating all the time, and no stabilizers on the ship so the small size meant a rough ride

BUT The thing I remember most was Captain Skjerve, his name was pronounced "Shur-Vay" but we kept calling him Captain Scurvy. He would turn on the microphone every morning, start singing into it to wake everyone up, and proceed to give us updates on weather, ports of call and such. The last day, in his thick Norwegian accent, he said "we are havintg a storm....so if you go outside....do not have both of your hands in your pockets....otherwise, you will have nothing to hold onto the handrail with and you might get blown over."
I heard he was still sailing with someone else, even after Commodore bit the dust. I would have to pass on being on his boat again. An obnoxious captain did make the passengers seem normal enough though.

Old 05-19-2012, 10:16 PM

1,392 posts, read 3,127,785 times
LargeKingCat, that sounds like quite an experience.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Cruises