U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Cruises
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-18-2009, 07:10 PM

8,178 posts, read 16,566,223 times

Advertisements

Thanks so much for the tips so far....I had forgotten about cruise critic...I must return there!

Yes Ketichan, will be hubby fishing so I can wander to my hearts content.

Mutt?? Does this mean you aren't going to be my personal guide??? Have a stalked you for nothing???
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2009, 10:55 PM

6,168 posts, read 6,336,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Granny Sue View Post
Thanks so much for the tips so far....I had forgotten about cruise critic...I must return there!

Yes Ketichan, will be hubby fishing so I can wander to my hearts content.

Mutt?? Does this mean you aren't going to be my personal guide??? Have a stalked you for nothing???
News Release

Sadly, after being in business for more than 30 minutes, Alaskan Mutt's Really Awful Cruise Line Company had to shut it's doors and cease all operations today. After Celebrity Cruise lines booked their one anticipated customer for next June, they determined it would not be econommicly feasable to continue operations. All proceeds from the liquidation of assets will be applied towards the debt owed to the Shady Detective Agency for stalking protection services rendered.

Old 09-19-2009, 01:10 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
22,697 posts, read 40,084,074 times
Good choice in CC.

Great service, nice accommodations, great food and entertainment.

Old 09-21-2009, 12:19 PM

25,673 posts, read 24,328,023 times
Never been on a cruise of any sort but am planning on going with family on one next spring.

Old 09-21-2009, 01:12 PM

6,564 posts, read 12,329,257 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alaskan Mutt View Post
News Release

Sadly, after being in business for more than 30 minutes, Alaskan Mutt's Really Awful Cruise Line Company had to shut it's doors and cease all operations today. After Celebrity Cruise lines booked their one anticipated customer for next June, they determined it would not be econommicly feasable to continue operations. All proceeds from the liquidation of assets will be applied towards the debt owed to the Shady Detective Agency for stalking protection services rendered.
Crud. We could have used you.

Old 09-22-2009, 06:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by j_k_k View Post
Crud. We could have used you.
I guess in hindsight I really should have paid him....

Old 09-22-2009, 07:58 PM

14,276 posts, read 24,042,546 times
Quote:

Skagway....I'd like to rent a car and go up to Whitehorse...if you've seen a map you can see that there's kinda sorta a circle that can be made around some ranges and lakes.
So the question is....anything a must see on the way? Can this trip be made without worrying too awful much about getting back to the ship? We'll be there from 7am to 8:30pm. Any other must see's in Skagway itself?
!
You have a lot of time to plan. We took the train out of Skagway and found it to be pretty lame. On the other hand, we have been on 20 other train trips. Nice scenery but not much better than the other scenery.

We wished we had rented a car and investigated that when we returned home. I would have two concerns. First, you MUST make sure that you get back on time OR ELSE. The ship WILL NOT wait on you.

Second, like everything else in Alaska, the cost of a rental car -even for a day - can be extreme. I have NOT priced it out in years.

Do your research.

Old 09-22-2009, 08:13 PM

Skagway being a very small town will have very limited options for renting a car. I would start looking into it soon. Be sure you who ever you rent from will allow you to drive into Canada. I have never driven from Skagway to Whitehorse so I do not know what there is to see. You will have to take the same road for the return trip. You can get from Whitehorse to Haines. However to get from Haines to Skagway you would have to take the ferry.

Old 09-23-2009, 05:27 AM

Thanks everybody!

The only rental car company I've seen so far is Avis. And they are only seasonal.
While I was expecting a HUGE bill, compared to the cost of a lot of the excursions is was very reasonable.I saw a price of $113.00 for this season...IF I can get ahold of them. I'll try again today.

Great Question to ask Mutt! I don't know that I would have even thought to ask that....thanks. We will most interested in seeing the scenery and maybe the dogsled training thingy up by Whitehorse. The ferry would be cool!

JLawrence..thanks for the return trip reminder...I tend to get caught up in what I'm looking at and would hate to have to swim back to the ship.

Old 09-23-2009, 07:02 AM

Quote:
Thanks everybody!

The only rental car company I've seen so far is Avis. And they are only seasonal.
While I was expecting a HUGE bill, compared to the cost of a lot of the excursions is was very reasonable.I saw a price of $113.00 for this season...IF I can get ahold of them. I'll try again today.

Great Question to ask Mutt! I don't know that I would have even thought to ask that....thanks. We will most interested in seeing the scenery and maybe the dogsled training thingy up by Whitehorse. The ferry would be cool!

JLawrence..thanks for the return trip reminder...I tend to get caught up in what I'm looking at and would hate to have to swim back to the ship.
Riding the ferry can be fun. However I do not think you have enough time to make the loop and then catch the ferry back to Skagway. Just driving to Whitehorse and back will be a day in it's self.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Cruises
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or