U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Cruises
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-27-2012, 11:24 PM

9,600 posts, read 10,964,939 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metlakatla View Post
You know something? I don't get the point of the OP here.

Do you honestly believe that just because certain "levels" of people can now afford to pay passage on those grotesque floating food bins that that's the reason that levels of personal safety have decreased? Do you really think that some of the crimes that you describe are specific to the "lower classes?"

I'm sorry to have to break it you, but people of these types exist in all "levels" of society.
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldengrain View Post
It would be interesting to see a chart of violent and non-violent crimes by neighborhood - the neighborhoods selected being by average income.

I think Regent has a world cruise coming up, the lowest price of which is in the seventy thousands per person. I think you might have a different incedent and type of crime on that cruise compared to a less costly cruise.

It might not be nice, but I think some neighborhoods in New York do have higher crime than others and a person could separate these by income.
Lower income people have higher crime rates and you're on the right website to verify it. Just for fun, compare some Los Angeles suburbs. When the word gets around that cruise ship passengers are easy targets and the ship an easy environment you may expect certain people to come for the sole purpose of crime.

I suspect that criminals on 70k cruises would be strictly of the white collar variety. They're probably intelligent and interesting people, likely very charming; just don't give them any money until you reach port and check out the deal.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2012, 03:30 PM

21,812 posts, read 27,906,799 times
I wonder how many of the same people who commit crimes in urban 'hoods are the same ones who make life miserable for the "upper classes" on cruise ships.

Although I agree the cruise ship crime is on the increase, I'm not convinced that it has to do with income levels of the passengers. Having lived in cruise country for the majority of my life, I've seen some pretty shady characters among those who'd hesitate to dine with the...less fortunate.

White collar crime....pfffft. There are as many drunks, druggies, child molesters and wife beaters among the...upper levels as anywhere else. The cruise companies cover a lot of this stuff up, by the way, because they don't want bad publicity.

Old 06-28-2012, 04:04 PM

18,852 posts, read 31,783,040 times
Sorry, you won't see me on a cruise any time, ever...even if I could afford one. I have been on several, and found it too be like living in NYC...constant people, crowds, and yes, scary...one guy, was like a stalker...he kept "finding" me...it was creepy, and who could I report this too? Basically, no one. He was overly friendly, found my room, was always trying to buy me drinks...he finally got the message, and started to stalk another woman, sadly, a young girl, too naive to realize what a predator he was...but, I was not her Mama...so...

Old 06-28-2012, 04:09 PM

12,408 posts, read 16,509,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy in Wyoming View Post
Lower income people have higher crime rates and you're on the right website to verify it. Just for fun, compare some Los Angeles suburbs. When the word gets around that cruise ship passengers are easy targets and the ship an easy environment you may expect certain people to come for the sole purpose of crime.

I suspect that criminals on 70k cruises would be strictly of the white collar variety. They're probably intelligent and interesting people, likely very charming; just don't give them any money until you reach port and check out the deal.
Yes, and wear your swatch and costume jewelry, too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Cruises
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or