U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Cruises
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-12-2013, 05:37 AM

71,986 posts, read 83,656,005 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LegalDiva View Post
Count me in w the Royal Caribbean crowd. I wont cruise with any other line due to the recent Carnival snafus in the media and reviews from friends.
But there are other lines, that are not involved with Carnival.. I am not suggesting you should give up your favorite line, but don't think all lines are under the Carnival umbrella. As for reviews from friends are you saying they all have given bad reviews to lines like Princess, Holland America, Seabourn, and Cunard for starters? I find that a little hard to believe. I am certainly not a Carnival lover and haven't been thrilled with Princess, but that has more to do with those who sail her, than the line itself.

This is not meant to be a criticism, we all have favorite lines, I know I certainly do. I am just pointing out don't think all the lines, other than RCI are the same as Carnival.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2013, 05:40 AM

Something too many overlook is: of course we hear about the Carnival tragedies, the company is so large they handle a huge % of the cruise population. Law of average, they will have more mishaps.

Old 11-12-2013, 10:15 AM

2,483 posts, read 3,538,304 times
We did Royal Caribbean and liked it the best by far, compared to Norwegian and Carnival.

But it's not a fair comparison because the itinerary on RCL was RT from Venice through the greek Isles and Croatia. On Norwegian it was Vancouver to SF (we lived in the Bay area at the time), and on Carnival it was the Mexican Riviera slotch-fest.

Sailing the Mediterranean was just a much better experience regardless of the ship because it is the ideal place to cruise IMO: International Crowd (not just loud american partiers), calm seas, great weather and interesting ports that I would never have traveled to on my own.

But, trying to be objective, all things being equal, I'd say:
Classiest ship: Royal Caribbean
Best food: Carnival
Tackiest ship: Carnival
Worst food: Norwegian

Old 11-14-2013, 09:00 PM

12,256 posts, read 16,210,403 times
I've sailed twice on Carnival and once on Royal Caribbean. I prefer Carnival. I just had more fun and I feel the service was better.

The RC crew were very friendly but on Carnival our waiter remembered our names and what drinks I liked. I liked the dancing and singing in the dining room. I played a pop trivia game on Carnival and it was all about movies, music, current events, etc. On RC the trivia like game was too much like Jeopardy; the questions were hard and you just buzzed in from a handheld device. It was kinda boring...people left during the middle.

The shows were about the same. My son liked the kids club on both ships. I like that they had pretty current movies aboard RC; although I haven't sailed on a carnival ship that had a movie theater so they might offer the same.

Two things that I don't like about RC: you have to pay for the lobster at the Captain's dinner and there's a charge for room service after a certain time.

I think right now for my vacation needs Carnival is just a better a fit.

Old 11-15-2013, 12:11 PM

26,590 posts, read 54,607,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LegalDiva View Post
Count me in w the Royal Caribbean crowd. I wont cruise with any other line due to the recent Carnival snafus in the media and reviews from friends.
So there are only two cruise lines in this world?

Old 11-20-2013, 10:04 AM

15,926 posts, read 7,181,497 times
Only been on 3 cruise lines out of Galveston. Princess once, RC once, and Carnival Magic three times. I'll take the "gaudy, Wal-Mart" cruise ship (as termed by previous stuffy posters) any time!!!

BRING ON THE FUN SHIP, BABY!!!

Next sailing, 2-26-14!

Last edited by Sweetie Pie; 11-20-2013 at 11:08 AM..

Old 11-23-2013, 05:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetie Pie View Post
Only been on 3 cruise lines out of Galveston. Princess once, RC once, and Carnival Magic three times. I'll take the "gaudy, Wal-Mart" cruise ship (as termed by previous stuffy posters) any time!!!

BRING ON THE FUN SHIP, BABY!!!

Next sailing, 2-26-14!
Enjoy your next cruise, I am happy you have found the line that works for you. This is what vacationing is all about. What is perfect for one may not be for another. Some people just can't seen to understand this. and btw, Wal-Mart works fine for lots of people.

Old 11-24-2013, 10:37 AM

15,079 posts, read 19,024,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
Enjoy your next cruise, I am happy you have found the line that works for you. This is what vacationing is all about. What is perfect for one may not be for another. Some people just can't seen to understand this. and btw, Wal-Mart works fine for lots of people.
Well said, Nmnita!

Old 12-13-2013, 06:57 PM

15,926 posts, read 7,181,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
Thanks nmnita! You are so right. It's all about "having thy Time of your life!"

Old 12-21-2013, 03:50 PM

1,319 posts, read 1,184,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by otterprods View Post
We did Royal Caribbean and liked it the best by far, compared to Norwegian and Carnival.

But it's not a fair comparison because the itinerary on RCL was RT from Venice through the greek Isles and Croatia. On Norwegian it was Vancouver to SF (we lived in the Bay area at the time), and on Carnival it was the Mexican Riviera slotch-fest.

Sailing the Mediterranean was just a much better experience regardless of the ship because it is the ideal place to cruise IMO: International Crowd (not just loud american partiers), calm seas, great weather and interesting ports that I would never have traveled to on my own.

But, trying to be objective, all things being equal, I'd say:
Classiest ship: Royal Caribbean
Best food: Carnival
Tackiest ship: Carnival
Worst food: Norwegian
I am surprised you ranked Norwegian as having the worst food. We sailed with two other couples on the Epic in March and all of us really enjoyed the cruise and the food. Almost all of my meals were in the free restaurants. Of these only one was poor (a badly cooked steak) and one was outstanding (a fish dish). We did pay the extra charge to try the Chinese place one night and thought the food there was good as well, especially the phenomenal deserts. One of the other couples paid the extra for the steak restaurant and liked it as we
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Cruises
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or