U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Cruises
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-20-2013, 06:20 AM

782 posts, read 936,736 times

Advertisements

I have been on NCL, RCI and Carnival, and by far Carnival is my favorite. I know that they have their share of haters, and they certainly have had some PR disasters over the last year+ here. However, the quality of the food on board is far superior to the other lines I have been on, the price is right, they have great variety of destinations and I have had a great time on every Carnival trip that I have been on.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2013, 03:55 PM

15,351 posts, read 27,550,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texantodd View Post
I have been on NCL, RCI and Carnival, and by far Carnival is my favorite. I know that they have their share of haters, and they certainly have had some PR disasters over the last year+ here. However, the quality of the food on board is far superior to the other lines I have been on, the price is right, they have great variety of destinations and I have had a great time on every Carnival trip that I have been on.
I have just loved the NCL food over Carnival. Another thing I really like on NCL is the specialty restaurants. I like having that option. The escargot at LeBistro and rivals any 5 star restaurant. The Cagney's Eggs Benedict with truffles sprinkled on top, oh my so good, and the list goes on. Carnival is a fun ship as they advertise I agree. And I definitely would cruise them again. I am considering booking on them again right now. We booked another cruise last night on NCL because the suite life on them is truly sweet. My son truly loves Royal Caribbean. I guess it's good we all like different cruise lines.

Old 06-23-2013, 08:00 AM

72,008 posts, read 83,671,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beretta View Post
I have just loved the NCL food over Carnival. Another thing I really like on NCL is the specialty restaurants. I like having that option. The escargot at LeBistro and rivals any 5 star restaurant. The Cagney's Eggs Benedict with truffles sprinkled on top, oh my so good, and the list goes on. Carnival is a fun ship as they advertise I agree. And I definitely would cruise them again. I am considering booking on them again right now. We booked another cruise last night on NCL because the suite life on them is truly sweet. My son truly loves Royal Caribbean. I guess it's good we all like different cruise lines.
you and I see this in the same light. That is why cruising can be so subjective. I have only been on one Carnival cruise so I can't in all fairness judge. As a retied agent I would say, my clients who cruised Carnival were pretty well split. Some kept going, others didn't like the line at all. It is based on what a person wants from their cruise experience.

To me, the dining choices, the freestyle and the service is what keeps me returning to NCL.

Old 06-24-2013, 09:49 AM

8,225 posts, read 14,940,197 times
And it was the bad and lack of service as well as a special that was not clear when we booked along with the tiny staterooms that will keep me from returning to NCL.

Dining attendants who permit children to run amok in the dining area is not my idea of "service"

Having a special for children to sail free and free excursions for said children without informing those who've booked - at full price mind you - is a DISservice

As for the dining choices; I spent many a meal eating salad and cookies for want of anything appealing to me - every dessert was jello - blueberry pie that jiggles is not blueberry pie, it is berries in jello in a pie crust - and it was not limited to any one night or dessert type.

I'm glad you had a good experience. Perhaps it is having lived in NYC for 15 years that has me spoiled. I expect what i pay for. Fortunately my expectations for food on Carnival are not gourmet. However, having a stateroom that is larger than a closet is a trade-off I will happily accept.

Old 06-24-2013, 12:03 PM

1,274 posts, read 1,509,811 times
We have been on eight cruises:

Princess - 2
HAL - 2
Carnival - 4

I guess you can tell we liked Carnival best. Best value, actually liked the food the best and I like the fun, casual spirit. Had one great HAL cruise 7 day out of San Diego.

Had one horrible HAL cruise, 10 day r/t Ft. Lauderdale Partial Canal trip, average age was 76, we were 49 and 51 at the time. It was a floating nursing home. Had a "Noro" virus outbreak, so the pools and jacuzzis were closed. It took 3 hours for them to serve breakfast and the buffet lines were hours long too, since you could not self-serve. I had a guy next to me smoking cigars on his balcony so the smoke wafted down to me. Even if he was not out as soon as he heard me, I swear he immediately came out and started smoking. On the ten day cruise I was not out on my balcony more than ten minutes due to his smoking. Sigh...We paid for a suite but should have booked an ocean view for 1/3 the cost due to the horrible smoke problem.

Princess was fine, but still like Carnival better. Never had any of the horrible "party out of control" stories you hear of on Carnival, but we always book 5 days or longer. Not the super cheap 3-day cruises.

I would love to try Celebrity since all my friend rave about the great food, and they have strong anti-smoking policies. They are pricier and never any where near San Diego it seems.

Old 06-25-2013, 05:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by happyinca View Post
We have been on eight cruises:

Princess - 2
HAL - 2
Carnival - 4

I guess you can tell we liked Carnival best. Best value, actually liked the food the best and I like the fun, casual spirit. Had one great HAL cruise 7 day out of San Diego.

Had one horrible HAL cruise, 10 day r/t Ft. Lauderdale Partial Canal trip, average age was 76, we were 49 and 51 at the time. It was a floating nursing home. Had a "Noro" virus outbreak, so the pools and jacuzzis were closed. It took 3 hours for them to serve breakfast and the buffet lines were hours long too, since you could not self-serve. I had a guy next to me smoking cigars on his balcony so the smoke wafted down to me. Even if he was not out as soon as he heard me, I swear he immediately came out and started smoking. On the ten day cruise I was not out on my balcony more than ten minutes due to his smoking. Sigh...We paid for a suite but should have booked an ocean view for 1/3 the cost due to the horrible smoke problem.

Princess was fine, but still like Carnival better. Never had any of the horrible "party out of control" stories you hear of on Carnival, but we always book 5 days or longer. Not the super cheap 3-day cruises.

I would love to try Celebrity since all my friend rave about the great food, and they have strong anti-smoking policies. They are pricier and never any where near San Diego it seems.
I think the "party cruise" reputation on Carnival stems from years ago. You are right the wild allnighters are a thing of the past. As for age and HAL, heck we were in our late 60s when we tried them. Basically we loved the ship, the service and the food, but the lack of energy was unbelievable. We thought half the passengers were dead, when the were just sleeping in the sun or the library. Thank goodness we were with friends that liked to go and do things like us. Ours was one of partial Panama Canal cruise as well.

We are not Princess fans, I know a lot of people are, but we have found the average age on Princess older as well, and for some reason, we met a lot of people that were really into themselves, with superior attitudes, why? I have not idea.

Give Celebrity a try; it is very popular, not all that much more expensive than other lines (about the same as HAL) you will probably like it. I will add, the age will be older as well, but not like HAL.

We have found the longer the cruise, the older the passengers. We are taking an 11 day cruise in December.

Old 06-25-2013, 09:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
I think the "party cruise" reputation on Carnival stems from years ago. You are right the wild allnighters are a thing of the past. As for age and HAL, heck we were in our late 60s when we tried them. Basically we loved the ship, the service and the food, but the lack of energy was unbelievable. We thought half the passengers were dead, when the were just sleeping in the sun or the library. Thank goodness we were with friends that liked to go and do things like us. Ours was one of partial Panama Canal cruise as well.

We are not Princess fans, I know a lot of people are, but we have found the average age on Princess older as well, and for some reason, we met a lot of people that were really into themselves, with superior attitudes, why? I have not idea.

Give Celebrity a try; it is very popular, not all that much more expensive than other lines (about the same as HAL) you will probably like it. I will add, the age will be older as well, but not like HAL.

We have found the longer the cruise, the older the passengers. We are taking an 11 day cruise in December.
On the HAL cruise, the lady in the Spa told us the average age was 76 which I think means 50% were over 76 on our cruise. Many, many were 85 - 95 years old. The entertainment, shows, music was geared to the 80+ crowd. Instead of hearing Caribbean music getting back on Board they were playing "Going to Kansas City, Kansas City, Here I Come", I will never forget that. The ports were great, but the cruise experience was horrible. The most I have ever paid since we had a suite. Lesson learned. I had booked since one of my sisters had picked it and then she backed out. I had already paid for our airfare to Florida so we went ahead and went. I don't regret seeing the Canal, but the HAL experience.

Yes we found the Princess experinces to be "cold" and the people "braggy". Not a fan of that either. The Carnival people are really fun at heart, and all ages. From kids, teens, couples of all ages, and many elderly but very friendly and laid back types of people, definately not snobby. But when you say you like Carnival people can be so snobby and often say "Carnival is the Walmart of Cruising". Ugh!

But yes my next plan is to try Celebrity so than I too can be a snob!

Old 06-25-2013, 10:08 AM

Quote:
On the HAL cruise, the lady in the Spa told us the average age was 76 which I think means 50% were over 76 on our cruise. Many, many were 85 - 95 years old. The entertainment, shows, music was geared to the 80+ crowd. Instead of hearing Caribbean music getting back on Board they were playing "Going to Kansas City, Kansas City, Here I Come", I will never forget that. The ports were great, but the cruise experience was horrible. The most I have ever paid since we had a suite. Lesson learned. I had booked since one of my sisters had picked it and then she backed out. I had already paid for our airfare to Florida so we went ahead and went. I don't regret seeing the Canal, but the HAL experience.

Yes we found the Princess experinces to be "cold" and the people "braggy". Not a fan of that either. The Carnival people are really fun at heart, and all ages. From kids, teens, couples of all ages, and many elderly but very friendly and laid back types of people, definately not snobby. But when you say you like Carnival people can be so snobby and often say "Carnival is the Walmart of Cruising". Ugh!

But yes my next plan is to try Celebrity so than I too can be a snob!
You might want to try NCL also. It is a little of everything. Lots of families (depending on the time of year of course) some younger and some older, but mostly cruisers in their 40s to 60s or 70s.

As for being a snob, you did Princess, that qualifies you..lol and smiles!!!!

Old 06-25-2013, 01:31 PM

782 posts, read 936,736 times
Quote:
The Carnival people are really fun at heart, and all ages. From kids, teens, couples of all ages, and many elderly but very friendly and laid back types of people, definately not snobby. But when you say you like Carnival people can be so snobby and often say "Carnival is the Walmart of Cruising". Ugh!
That is my experience too, and I get quite tired of the "snob" factor that look down on Carnival so much. I wonder if any of them have cruised Carnival anytime in the last 15-20 years. I have been on multiple Carnival trips, and in my experience the food is superior to the other lines I have tried, and the people are much nicer and more laid back.

I am not a "party" person, I don't stay out until 2 or 3 am doing anything, and I have never seen that kind of atmosphere in any kind of in your face way on the ship either. I have found Carnival to have the best mix of ages from old to young, a great mix of activities to keep you entertained, good food and the best cost point of any of the lines.

Nothing is perfect, but to me I have as much fun or more on Carnival, and I pay significantly less and so why should I pay for another line? If I wanted to be on a very formal line, I could understand seeking that out, but I don't cruise for that. I am not a slob, I have never tried wearing shorts or a t-shirt to dinner or anything like that, but I am relaxed and not looking for a "formal" experience when I cruise the Caribbean or Mediteranean.

Anyways, just my thoughts.

Old 06-25-2013, 08:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by texantodd View Post
That is my experience too, and I get quite tired of the "snob" factor that look down on Carnival so much. I wonder if any of them have cruised Carnival anytime in the last 15-20 years. I have been on multiple Carnival trips, and in my experience the food is superior to the other lines I have tried, and the people are much nicer and more laid back.

I am not a "party" person, I don't stay out until 2 or 3 am doing anything, and I have never seen that kind of atmosphere in any kind of in your face way on the ship either. I have found Carnival to have the best mix of ages from old to young, a great mix of activities to keep you entertained, good food and the best cost point of any of the lines.

Nothing is perfect, but to me I have as much fun or more on Carnival, and I pay significantly less and so why should I pay for another line? If I wanted to be on a very formal line, I could understand seeking that out, but I don't cruise for that. I am not a slob, I have never tried wearing shorts or a t-shirt to dinner or anything like that, but I am relaxed and not looking for a "formal" experience when I cruise the Caribbean or Mediteranean.

Anyways, just my thoughts.
The people I work with who hold their noses in the air and say "I would NEVER cruise Carnival, it IS the Walmart of cruising!" have never sailed Carnival.

I agree with you on all points and you agree with me. Great value, great food, fun people, great atmosphere. Go Carnival! By the way, I am not a slob either...LOL!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Cruises
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or