U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Cruises
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 06-27-2013, 04:49 AM
 
Location: Bella Vista, Ark
72,014 posts, read 83,688,530 times
Reputation: 41810

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by happyinca View Post
The people I work with who hold their noses in the air and say "I would NEVER cruise Carnival, it IS the Walmart of cruising!" have never sailed Carnival.

I agree with you on all points and you agree with me. Great value, great food, fun people, great atmosphere. Go Carnival! By the way, I am not a slob either...LOL!
There are snobs everywhere: the cruise snobs, the shopper snobs, the dining snobs; I think most of us run into them daily and they don't really impress us much. Yes, as a frequent cruiser and a retired travel agent, I saw my share of them in the industry. to me a snob is someone who has to try and impress but does a really poor job of it There mommy and daddy never took time to teach them the word modesty or the meaning of being humble.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 06-27-2013, 08:09 AM
 
26,590 posts, read 54,613,838 times
Reputation: 13019
Have you thought that perhaps some people wouldn't cruise Carnival because they know that it's an experience they wouldn't enjoy? We don't like large ships. We don't like the decor on the Carnival ships. We are past sailing on a ship full of kids. We don't like a party atmosphere. We don't like mass market cruising, and definitely not the lower scale of it!

It has nothing to do with being a "snob" but more because of what we know we want from a cruise. Small ships (under 500--with under 300 better yet). Less traveled, smaller ports. Intimate surroundings. Quiet evenings with enjoyable but low key entertainment. Dining rooms without napkin waving and other diversions. Gourmet food. Open seating with no line or wait or reservations required. A country club atmosphere. No lines. High levels of service with a low guest to staff ratio. High end bedding, linens, and toiletries. Those aren't available on the mass market ships, and definitely not on the ones that "have something for everyone." There is nothing wrong with knowing what you enjoy and don't care for, and planning your vacation accordingly.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-28-2013, 07:56 AM
 
Location: Murrieta, CA
1,274 posts, read 1,509,811 times
Reputation: 2237
Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
Have you thought that perhaps some people wouldn't cruise Carnival because they know that it's an experience they wouldn't enjoy? We don't like large ships. We don't like the decor on the Carnival ships. We are past sailing on a ship full of kids. We don't like a party atmosphere. We don't like mass market cruising, and definitely not the lower scale of it!

It has nothing to do with being a "snob" but more because of what we know we want from a cruise. Small ships (under 500--with under 300 better yet). Less traveled, smaller ports. Intimate surroundings. Quiet evenings with enjoyable but low key entertainment. Dining rooms without napkin waving and other diversions. Gourmet food. Open seating with no line or wait or reservations required. A country club atmosphere. No lines. High levels of service with a low guest to staff ratio. High end bedding, linens, and toiletries. Those aren't available on the mass market ships, and definitely not on the ones that "have something for everyone." There is nothing wrong with knowing what you enjoy and don't care for, and planning your vacation accordingly.
I understand and appreciate your point of view. Everyone has preferences. Texan Todd and I were just sharing that we both prefer Carnival. We both have had people say right to our faces that they "Would never cruise Carnival" by people that have never cruised Carnival. I have had people say right to my face that it is the "Walmart of Cruising." They have a right to that opinion. I do find that snobby. Personally I don't prefer a "country club" atmosphere but I certainly would not put you down for preferring that.

The beauty of cruising is that there is a wide variety of choices. There is Carnival for casual, fun loving, good food, good value loving people. There are the elegant, fine dining, smaller ships that are selling to that crowd. I think Regency, Oceana, etc.

Personally I would like to try Celebrity as I have heard great things about that line. So there is no right or wrong answer here. I just don't like being put down to my face because I like Carnival. That was the point we were making. Not that the people that cruise on the more elegant ships were snobs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-28-2013, 02:55 PM
 
782 posts, read 936,736 times
Reputation: 1016
Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
Have you thought that perhaps some people wouldn't cruise Carnival because they know that it's an experience they wouldn't enjoy?
Do you know this by experience or just because of heresay?

Quote:
We don't like large ships. We don't like the decor on the Carnival ships.
Not all Carnival ships are large ships, but fair enough. On the decor, understandable, it is Vegas-y and over the top; even though it is not my style either it doesn't bother me, but I certainly understand if that is something that you don't enjoy.

Quote:
We are past sailing on a ship full of kids. We don't like a party atmosphere. We don't like mass market cruising, and definitely not the lower scale of it!
Carnival is no more full of kids than Royal Caribbean or NCL, and less full of them than Disney. Party atmosphere? You certainly have not been on Carnival either ever, or not recently. Are there night clubs? Sure (like almost all cruise ships). But I have been on 7 sailings, on small and large ships, at all times of the year, and I have never yet been on any crazy, wild party ship. Maybe if you cruise during Spring Break (I don't know), but I wouldn't get on any cruiseline during that time of year. Stupidly increased prices, and you have to expect a bunch of younger people at that time.

As for the lower scale comments, the food on Carnival is far superior to Royal Caribbean, better than NCL, better than Disney. It may not match some of the more high end lines like Celebrity, but then many of us want a relaxed atmosphere not an overly formal, stuffy ride with old white people with an average age of 65 (since you can use hyperbole so can I)

Quote:
It has nothing to do with being a "snob" but more because of what we know we want from a cruise. Small ships (under 500--with under 300 better yet). Less traveled, smaller ports. Intimate surroundings. Quiet evenings with enjoyable but low key entertainment. Dining rooms without napkin waving and other diversions. Gourmet food. Open seating with no line or wait or reservations required. A country club atmosphere. No lines. High levels of service with a low guest to staff ratio. High end bedding, linens, and toiletries. Those aren't available on the mass market ships, and definitely not on the ones that "have something for everyone." There is nothing wrong with knowing what you enjoy and don't care for, and planning your vacation accordingly.
Hey, go with what you want. I have no problem with someone like you who likes a very small ship and country club atmosphere. It's not what I want, but if we were all the same the world would be a boring place. My problem is with the person who has no problem getting on large RCL/NCL/Princess/Disney/etc but talks down about Carnival as being beneath them - and in almost every one of those cases you can bet that person has never been on a Carnival ship.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-28-2013, 05:02 PM
 
Location: On the Edge of the Fringe
4,889 posts, read 3,977,230 times
Reputation: 4138
We usually travel as a family. Carnival has been very good to us, so Has RCI. I would not take the kids on a "luxury" line because they don't care if the cruise cost $400 or $4000
Carnival does have some haters, but we have had fun regardless of what other's say.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-28-2013, 05:57 PM
 
14,253 posts, read 15,339,238 times
Reputation: 13682
Quote:
Originally Posted by LargeKingCat View Post
We usually travel as a family. Carnival has been very good to us, so Has RCI. I would not take the kids on a "luxury" line because they don't care if the cruise cost $400 or $4000
Carnival does have some haters, but we have had fun regardless of what other's say.
You are right not to take the kids on the luxury lines. They do not cater for them and generally lack suitable facilities. Your kids will be bored and, if they act like normal kids, will irritate a lot of the other passengers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-28-2013, 07:01 PM
 
Location: Bella Vista, Ark
72,014 posts, read 83,688,530 times
Reputation: 41810
Quote:
Originally Posted by LargeKingCat View Post
We usually travel as a family. Carnival has been very good to us, so Has RCI. I would not take the kids on a "luxury" line because they don't care if the cruise cost $400 or $4000
Carnival does have some haters, but we have had fun regardless of what other's say.
Carnival, RCI and NCL are all outstanding choices for families, especially when there are mixed generations. We did a family cruise on NCL about 3 years ago: the ages ranged from 8 to 73 and there were 15 of us. The only problem was trying to calm down a couple of the over the top planers in the group, namely one of our daughters. She is anal about organization and wanted all of us, to do, everything together.

The best thing about Carnival for families is the cabin sizes. They are considerable bigger than NCL or RCI.

The luxury liners and small ships are great for those who can afford them, want top of the line service and enjoy the quieter, less busy ships, plus they can get into ports, the mass marketed ships, even the smaller ones can not handle.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-29-2013, 06:47 PM
 
26,590 posts, read 54,613,838 times
Reputation: 13019
Quote:
Originally Posted by texantodd View Post
Do you know this by experience or just because of heresay?
I know this because I've cruised mass market lines and didn't enjoy them. The things I didn't like about them will be no different on Carnival.

Quote:
Not all Carnival ships are large ships, but fair enough. On the decor, understandable, it is Vegas-y and over the top; even though it is not my style either it doesn't bother me, but I certainly understand if that is something that you don't enjoy.
Their smallest ship is 2000+ passengers. That's a large ship! The ships I cruise on (some aren't even classified as ships but rather as yachts) are 500 or less. I can't stand loud garish decor. It doesn't allow me to relax.

Quote:
Carnival is no more full of kids than Royal Caribbean or NCL, and less full of them than Disney. Party atmosphere? You certainly have not been on Carnival either ever, or not recently. Are there night clubs? Sure (like almost all cruise ships). But I have been on 7 sailings, on small and large ships, at all times of the year, and I have never yet been on any crazy, wild party ship. Maybe if you cruise during Spring Break (I don't know), but I wouldn't get on any cruiseline during that time of year. Stupidly increased prices, and you have to expect a bunch of younger people at that time.
I don't sail on any of those lines either. I've been on them in the past, but have no intention of going on them again. It's the blaring pool music, loud pool activities, incessant announcements, etc. that create a "party" atmosphere. The lines I cruise on have none of that. Sail away with Champagne and no noise except the ocean as opposed to sail away with drinks in huge plastic "souvenir" cups and blaring music.

Quote:
As for the lower scale comments, the food on Carnival is far superior to Royal Caribbean, better than NCL, better than Disney. It may not match some of the more high end lines like Celebrity, but then many of us want a relaxed atmosphere not an overly formal, stuffy ride with old white people with an average age of 65 (since you can use hyperbole so can I)
Celebrity is not a high end cruise line--not even close. The food on Royal Caribbean was disgusting. Disney was OK, although we had most of our meals in the alternate restaurants. That said, Remy on DCL was the best meal I've ever had at sea, and one of the better onest I've had in my life. X was OK, but nothing to write home about. Food isn't the only determining factor--service, space, atmosphere. I think DCL does the best job with keeping the adult spaces adult only--particularly the alternate dining restaurants which simply don't allow children and do enforce dress codes.

Quote:
Hey, go with what you want. I have no problem with someone like you who likes a very small ship and country club atmosphere. It's not what I want, but if we were all the same the world would be a boring place. My problem is with the person who has no problem getting on large RCL/NCL/Princess/Disney/etc but talks down about Carnival as being beneath them - and in almost every one of those cases you can bet that person has never been on a Carnival ship.
As I said, I don't sail on any of them. They are not at all suited to what I want out of a cruise.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-29-2013, 06:53 PM
 
26,590 posts, read 54,613,838 times
Reputation: 13019
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
The luxury liners and small ships are great for those who can afford them, want top of the line service and enjoy the quieter, less busy ships, plus they can get into ports, the mass marketed ships, even the smaller ones can not handle.
This. We'd rather cruise less often but on a small luxury ship when we do cruise than cruise several times a year and have a mediocre time because it's not up to the standards that we enjoy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-30-2013, 09:08 AM
 
Location: Bella Vista, Ark
72,014 posts, read 83,688,530 times
Reputation: 41810
Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
I know this because I've cruised mass market lines and didn't enjoy them. The things I didn't like about them will be no different on Carnival.



Their smallest ship is 2000+ passengers. That's a large ship! The ships I cruise on (some aren't even classified as ships but rather as yachts) are 500 or less. I can't stand loud garish decor. It doesn't allow me to relax.



I don't sail on any of those lines either. I've been on them in the past, but have no intention of going on them again. It's the blaring pool music, loud pool activities, incessant announcements, etc. that create a "party" atmosphere. The lines I cruise on have none of that. Sail away with Champagne and no noise except the ocean as opposed to sail away with drinks in huge plastic "souvenir" cups and blaring music.



Celebrity is not a high end cruise line--not even close. The food on Royal Caribbean was disgusting. Disney was OK, although we had most of our meals in the alternate restaurants. That said, Remy on DCL was the best meal I've ever had at sea, and one of the better onest I've had in my life. X was OK, but nothing to write home about. Food isn't the only determining factor--service, space, atmosphere. I think DCL does the best job with keeping the adult spaces adult only--particularly the alternate dining restaurants which simply don't allow children and do enforce dress codes.



As I said, I don't sail on any of them. They are not at all suited to what I want out of a cruise.
Just thought you should know: Celebrity is considered high end, but certainly not luxury. In the business, there are several ways of grouping cruise lines.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Cruises
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top