Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Cruises
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-01-2013, 08:58 AM

26,585 posts, read 62,043,904 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
Just thought you should know: Celebrity is considered high end, but certainly not luxury. In the business, there are several ways of grouping cruise lines.
High end of mass market is still mass market, and mass market isn't anything I'm willing to spend my time and money on.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2013, 12:24 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,739,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
High end of mass market is still mass market, and mass market isn't anything I'm willing to spend my time and money on.
I totally realize what you are saying and of course we all have our reasons for choosing the lines we do or choosing not to cruise, but I was simply pointing out: Celebrity is considered high end.. Which is different from luxury or small ship cruising.

It is like the person who prefers to stay at Holiday Inns, versus those who will only stay at the Ritz or maybe a Waldorf Astoria. There is no right or wrong. Then there are those of us that choose, according the a situation. When we are on a road trip or are about to fly on an early flight and want to stay near the airport, a Holiday Inn type works fine. We just need a clean bed. If we are choosing a resort or hotel for a week long vacation we will go as upscale as we can afford and if we are going inbetween: 2 days here, and 2 days there, we will go Hilton category for instance.

Old 07-01-2013, 12:49 PM

Quote:
I totally realize what you are saying and of course we all have our reasons for choosing the lines we do or choosing not to cruise, but I was simply pointing out: Celebrity is considered high end.. Which is different from luxury or small ship cruising.

It is like the person who prefers to stay at Holiday Inns, versus those who will only stay at the Ritz or maybe a Waldorf Astoria. There is no right or wrong. Then there are those of us that choose, according the a situation. When we are on a road trip or are about to fly on an early flight and want to stay near the airport, a Holiday Inn type works fine. We just need a clean bed. If we are choosing a resort or hotel for a week long vacation we will go as upscale as we can afford and if we are going inbetween: 2 days here, and 2 days there, we will go Hilton category for instance.
I guess it depends on your perspective. If you typically cruise mass market, you would likely consider it high end. If you cruise luxury lines, you'd be terribly disappointed if someone convinced you to sail a "high end" Celebrity ship and you booked blindly without researching it first.

Old 07-01-2013, 01:50 PM

Quote:
I guess it depends on your perspective. If you typically cruise mass market, you would likely consider it high end. If you cruise luxury lines, you'd be terribly disappointed if someone convinced you to sail a "high end" Celebrity ship and you booked blindly without researching it first.
Oh come on: we are not talking about how you cruise and I would hope no one would said anything about convincing anyone to cruise a mass marketed line, if they indicate they want a luxury experience. I am simply talking about the grouping of various lines by industry. I am not even saying I feel the same. Princess and Celebrity along with HAL are grouped together. My experience: Celebrity and HAL are superior to Princess. We are not talking about what I cruise or what someone else might cruise: we are talking about the industry ratings and groupings.

Old 07-01-2013, 04:12 PM

1,336 posts, read 1,824,071 times
Quote:
Oh come on: we are not talking about how you cruise and I would hope no one would said anything about convincing anyone to cruise a mass marketed line, if they indicate they want a luxury experience. I am simply talking about the grouping of various lines by industry. I am not even saying I feel the same. Princess and Celebrity along with HAL are grouped together. My experience: Celebrity and HAL are superior to Princess. We are not talking about what I cruise or what someone else might cruise: we are talking about the industry ratings and groupings.
Go Nita!!!

And my favorite is still...CARNIVAL...The "Walmart" of cruising!

Old 07-02-2013, 10:54 AM

Quote:
People go to travel agents and follow their lead every day. Many travel agents sell Celebrity as a "luxury" cruise even though it's not, because the average travel agent hasn't ever been on a luxury cruise and thinks of X as "luxury." Many TA's will say whatever it takes to make the sale.

A person using a TA to book a cruise has probably never read industry ratings or groupings, they are just going by what the TA says.

I met a TA once who thought that Holiday Inn's were "high class" places. Seriously.

Old 07-02-2013, 12:13 PM

Quote:
People go to travel agents and follow their lead every day. Many travel agents sell Celebrity as a "luxury" cruise even though it's not, because the average travel agent hasn't ever been on a luxury cruise and thinks of X as "luxury." Many TA's will say whatever it takes to make the sale.

A person using a TA to book a cruise has probably never read industry ratings or groupings, they are just going by what the TA says.

I met a TA once who thought that Holiday Inn's were "high class" places. Seriously.
and you are insulting the business. Most good agents and there are many out there, certainly know upscale, luxury, basic mass marketed, etc. They also know the difference between budget hotels, mid range, upscale and luxury. Of course there are some who are nothing but order takers, I have worked with some, just like real estate agents that are clueless, I worked with a few of them as well, but his isn't the entire profession.

I can't believe for one second you met an honest to goodness travel agent that thought Holiday Inn was high class. Even internet order taker agents know better than that.

BTW, I also do not know of any agent and I have known many, who ever would sell Celebrity as a "luxury line"

Unless you are a travel agent and obviously you are not: you are not quite comprehending what I am saying about grouping. This has nothing to do with what line any of us prefer, it has nothing to do with how and why an agent would sell a particular line, it has to do with industry ratings. This also has nothing to do with whether one prefers to do their own research or use an agent....There are reason for both and what works for one may not work for someone else.

Old 07-02-2013, 12:46 PM

You aren't getting what I am saying, and I don't think you ever will.

I understand your point, but you are completely missing mine.

Old 07-06-2013, 12:43 PM

19,437 posts, read 27,838,210 times
Quote:

When someone HIRES a TA that is this inept, ignorant or just simply lies to "make the sale", sorry - but I don't blame the TA. I blame the consumer who HIRED them. And that consumer should be reporting that TA to her agency broker, and any licensing agency involved.

No matter what you are purchasing, due some due diligence. And accept some responsibility for the final results, good or bad. No one with any sense should blindly listen to someone who makes money off their decision.

Old 10-31-2013, 05:55 PM

2,483 posts, read 4,372,552 times
Quote:
and you are insulting the business. Most good agents and there are many out there, certainly know upscale, luxury, basic mass marketed, etc. They also know the difference between budget hotels, mid range, upscale and luxury. Of course there are some who are nothing but order takers, I have worked with some, just like real estate agents that are clueless, I worked with a few of them as well, but his isn't the entire profession.

I can't believe for one second you met an honest to goodness travel agent that thought Holiday Inn was high class. Even internet order taker agents know better than that.

BTW, I also do not know of any agent and I have known many, who ever would sell Celebrity as a "luxury line"

Unless you are a travel agent and obviously you are not: you are not quite comprehending what I am saying about grouping. This has nothing to do with what line any of us prefer, it has nothing to do with how and why an agent would sell a particular line, it has to do with industry ratings. This also has nothing to do with whether one prefers to do their own research or use an agent....There are reason for both and what works for one may not work for someone else.
Why do people still go to travel agents anymore? Is it the same people that go inside the bank to do a transaction and read a printed newspaper daily or is there some other reason I'm missing? (both serious questions)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Cruises