U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Cruises
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-01-2012, 08:09 AM

14,253 posts, read 15,329,100 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitram View Post
In our experience, 9 cruises, we found that the medical on board is really basic treatment with maybe one doctor and one nurse on board. They do not do surgeries if needed, so you may need to be flown out. If you need to be helicoptered out it is extremely expensive. Mininum about $50,000. And if you're going from say New York to Europe or Los Angeles to Australia you would be several days on the sea before hitting a port. The helicopters in some cases can't get out far enough to pickup a medical need.
I would suggest you take along your medical history as well as extra meds that you are taking just in case of a medical problem.
This is where cruise insurance with medical coverage is important to get.
I cruised Sydney to Los Angeles last February. The longest 'sea-leg' was Hawaii to Los Angeles which was 5 days. Australia to Hawaii we were never more than a couple of hundred miles from land. Now, you might not want to be hospitalized in Kiribati but that is another issue.

That said, we usually buy insurance to cover cancellation. Our US health insurance is good overseas but, obviously, we have to pay first and then get reimbursed. One of the reasons (not the only one) I got the Amex Platinum card.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2012, 07:52 AM

774 posts, read 1,423,054 times
Quote:
In our experience, 9 cruises, we found that the medical on board is really basic treatment with maybe one doctor and one nurse on board. They do not do surgeries if needed, so you may need to be flown out. If you need to be helicoptered out it is extremely expensive. Mininum about $50,000. And if you're going from say New York to Europe or Los Angeles to Australia you would be several days on the sea before hitting a port. The helicopters in some cases can't get out far enough to pickup a medical need.
I would suggest you take along your medical history as well as extra meds that you are taking just in case of a medical problem.
This is where cruise insurance with medical coverage is important to get.
This is exactly right and very good advice to boot. Relatively few cruise liners have heliports, even if you have the $100K or more it would cost. And there are no places at all with serious medical facilities within four or five days' sailing of Hawaii. I'm sailing around Africa and then to Brazil this year... I expect it will be fun! But I'm also putting my affairs in order before I go

Old 08-02-2012, 07:55 AM

774 posts, read 1,423,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jim prow View Post
look up a ship called "the world." it is a luxury residential ship that travels the world. when you say - what do the rich and famous do with thier money and where do they travel to - this is it. i saw this ship in the port of balto. last year.
The weird thing about that is how they establish itineraries. It's only natural that some people would disagree...and most wealthy people wouldn't put up with the inconvenience or boredom of going places they don't want to go. Also I bet it's a bit of a Peyton Place onboard

OTOH, I don't know about the subletting policy---that might keep a reasonable number of transients on board for the sake of variety. But I also don't know if the full-time residents would like that or not.

Frankly, too many great cruise ships, ocean liners and itineraries around the world for me to want to pin myself down like that!

Old 08-02-2012, 11:06 AM

14,253 posts, read 15,329,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Archguy View Post
This is exactly right and very good advice to boot. Relatively few cruise liners have heliports, even if you have the $100K or more it would cost. And there are no places at all with serious medical facilities within four or five days' sailing of Hawaii. I'm sailing around Africa and then to Brazil this year... I expect it will be fun! But I'm also putting my affairs in order before I go
Most cruises are not at sea for 5 days solid and for the first day you are close enough to Hawaii and the last day you are close enough to California. So your risk is down to three days. Also, I used that as an extreme example which it is. The other point in my example was that Sydney to Hawaii you are never that far from land. Even transatlantic, and depending on the route, the risk is quite limited.

Obviously you also have to be aware of your own health and any particular risks.

Also worth checking your US health insurance to see if you are covered overseas (I am). No point paying extra insurance when you are already covered. Mine also covers medivacing where a doctor considers it necessary.

Old 10-28-2012, 11:04 AM

2,517 posts, read 3,506,203 times
I did a round the world cruise. It was 107 days. We left from Fort Lauderdale went through the Panama Canal, down South America (Ecuador, Peru), over to Easter Island, then Tahiti, Cook Islands, New Zealand, Tasmania, Australia, Papua New Guinea, Guam, Japan, South Korea, China, Vietnam, Cambodia, Thailand, Singapore, Malaysia, India, Dubai-United Arab Emirates, Oman, Egypt, Greece, Italy, France, Spain, Gibraltar, Portugal, Ireland, France, to England where I flew home.

If you pay attention to the sales that occur just after final payment, are willing to take any type of cabin, and have status (long time customer) then you can get a very good deal when they try to fill the ship. My cruise all in, including airfare (miles), all shore excursions, 3 overland trips off the ship (China, Cambodia and Egypt), visas and everything including spending money was less than $25K. But I know people on board who had spent well over $100K for the exact same cruise. The difference was in type of cabin, time of booking, and taking independent excursions instead of the ones offered by the ship.

The people on board varied. The majority were retired teachers (pensions to support them) or engineers (lived below their means and saved). There were some retired small business owners (tended to splurge a bit more). The younger more active retirees were mostly in their 50s and 60s. Those in their 70s were either active enough to hang with the young retirees or kind of in a middle land where they couldn't keep up to see the sights but weren't so decrepit that they didn't want to. A portion were very elderly (80+) and were treating the world cruise like a snowbird to escape winter as the cruises mostly go from Jan. - May. They spend the holidays with their families and then park themselves aboard for 3-4 mths. These very elderly people did not do much in the ports and sometimes did not get off.

There were a few small children (not school age) with young parents being sponsored by elderly relatives. There were some mother daughter pairs with the daughters being in the 30s, 40s or 50s. There were a smattering of international folks but most were from the US. Most were fairly healthy and adventurous. The younger folks had either taken a leave of absence, lost their jobs, were being paid for by a parent, had a career ending disability or were grieving a deceased spouse. Some of the very elderly had beginning dementia and were a bit violent, rude and angry. The staff handled them very well. There were some people who had never cruised before.

If you want to go start putting money away. Then just pay attention to the opportunity. You could lose your job and decide to make your dream a reality earlier than retirement. The younger and healthier you are when you go the more you can see. The sites from antiquity are not set up with ramps or grab bars and the transportation and walking in less developed countries are best suited for those in good physical shape.

If you have a hankering to go it is well worth it. You see a stunning amount of sights in one trip.

Last edited by mic111; 10-28-2012 at 12:28 PM..

Old 10-28-2012, 05:47 PM

14,752 posts, read 28,608,889 times
Quote:
I believe there was a story last year on TV about a very rich woman who lives permanently on QE-2 also.

Here's the story: BBC NEWS | UK | England | Hampshire | The woman who lives on the QE2
That lady may look like she's interesting to talk to and well-mannered, but I've read other reports that she was a pill. Her husband was also living on the QE2 with her, but he caught a virus near one of the Indian ports of call when the ship was on her World Cruise and died shortly thereafter.

I heard that Cunard did not want her to "transfer" her permanent residence to the QM2. She is now in her late 80s, so I'm sure that her health will soon, or eventually, decline.

Last edited by robertpolyglot; 10-28-2012 at 07:10 PM.. Reason: grammar

Old 11-06-2012, 06:49 PM

11,723 posts, read 11,545,104 times
Interesting reading! I started cruising in 1982 and found the world cruises fascinating. Even in my 30's, I was interested in different itineraries once I did the Caribbean a few times (which was WAY different in the 1980s)!!! My dad was able to sail to Sweden with his parents when he was 13 (youngest of 8), he always talked about it and I wanted to cross the Atlantic like he did. Once I did a cruise or 2, I took the Norway (former ssFrance from England to Miami), it was great.

I was never fond of 7 day cruises, I love being onboard longer, but not sure if I could do that many days. I've done 21 and for 2013 I have 27 days booked. I did fine with 21, I'm sure 27 will be fine. It is to the Baltic and then a transatlantic.

I want to see Asia and also Australia/NZ, this 27 day will be a test to see if I can put together something for Australia where I don't have to fly both ways, long flights. I've done the Tahiti/So. Pacific islands and sailed from there to Hawaii
plus Hawaii to Vancouver. I guess what I need to do is look at HAL/Princess world itineraries and see what I've covered!
I did longer cruises for the Panama Canal (now some just go in one lock and turn around) and I've sailed from Los Angeles up to Alaska which I don't think they don't do anymore.

I guess I have covered a great deal, just in bits and pieces! I want to go back to the Med, too as I didn't get to Egypt
and that portion, I had it booked but could only do half Barcelona to Athens but not beyond Athens.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Cruises