U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Cruises
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-28-2012, 08:58 PM

1,446 posts, read 4,058,452 times

Advertisements

I saw on several websites that some large cruise ship companies have cruise all around the world, some practically circumnavigating the globe. They appear to take at least several months, if not more. Has anyone done this? Who exactly goes on these cruises? Most people do not have six months to kill. But I can not imagine many retirees going off to sea for that long. Discuss.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2012, 05:00 PM

39,578 posts, read 47,812,904 times
The majority of the around the globe cruises that I've been inerested in are 90-100 days long. If my wife didn't have medical problems that have to be attended to daily we would take one.
That being said on 2 cruises in the past we met 2 elderly ladies that live permantently on the cruise ships. They said they like the travel, the convenience of no cooking or housekeeping and they enjoy the different places they see and the new people that come on board at each cruise. I believe there was a story last year on TV about a very rich woman who lives permanently on QE-2 also.

Here's the story: http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/e...re/7719605.stm

Old 07-30-2012, 09:24 AM

14,253 posts, read 15,347,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lentzr View Post
I saw on several websites that some large cruise ship companies have cruise all around the world, some practically circumnavigating the globe. They appear to take at least several months, if not more. Has anyone done this? Who exactly goes on these cruises? Most people do not have six months to kill. But I can not imagine many retirees going off to sea for that long. Discuss.
Most world cruises are split into 'legs' so that you can join the cruise, do a 'leg' from port A to port B, and then disembark. Some people will do one leg, some several and some will do the whole cruise.

Old 07-30-2012, 10:05 AM

693 posts, read 818,706 times
Ohhh, good thread! I've always been completely intrigued and enamoured by the idea of going on one of these world cruises some day!

So, yeah, like I just said, I myself have never been on one of the world cruises, but we have a family friend that has done 12 of them now I believe. She's actually an older lady who lost her husband and never had any kids. So I think she figures that it's a great way to pass the time and get to see the world/enjoy life, etc.

This lady always does the Crystal Cruise Line world cruise. I'm pretty sure they all leave in January and they are several months long (I think until May). I know they all leave from Los Angeles, but then they have differing routes going to different countries/destinations every year. I know I've seen one of her itineraries that went from LA to Hawaii, to islands in the South Pacific (Fiji, Tahiti, Bora Bora, etc.), down through NZ and Australia, up through Bali and other places in Indonesia, Japan, Korea, China, HK, S'pore, Southeast Asia, India, Maldives, several places in the Middle East and Afica, and finally ending up doing a couple of stops in Europe and finally ending up in London (Southhampton). But, like I said, the itineraries change every year so it's never the same, exact cruise. Another reason that it takes several months (in addition to the obvious reason of the huge amount of distance covered) is because the ship stops at the ports of call/destinations for days at a time (length depends on the port). So you really have time to get off the ship and walk around and truly experience and explore the place that you're stopping at. It seems like an absolutely amazing experience overall!

As for the people, I, personally, don't know what "kind of people" go on these cruises, but I can tell you that our friend did very well for herself in life and enjoys a very comfortable retirement. I think just the cost would eliminate some of the people who might possibly be interested. My first instinct would be that most of the people that go on such a cruise would be pretty financially secure (not that that's a good or bad thing). But again, I've never done this so I'm just trying to make a somewhat educated guess here, but I could be completely wrong. Who knows!

I have to say, it is definitely one of my long-term dreams and life goals to go on one of these cruises. I just think that the experience would be so revolutionary and so life-changing/once-in-a-lifetime (for most of us, at least) that it's an opportunity that I would definitely jump at immediately if it presented itself. As for the duration, I would gladly put my life on hold to experience such a thing. How could you not? Imagine the things you would learn, the things and places you'd experinece, the people you'd meet, etc. etc. Ohhh, it would just be spectacular and you all can probably see me drooling at the mouth right now through the computer lol!

Ahhh, one day! But, hey, I'm only 20, I've still got a long time to save up for it!

I think that if you have the opportunity I would take it. Undoubtedly. Not just because of my personal longing to experience such a thing, but also because of the things that I've heard from the people who have actually done it themselves.

It would be interesting to hear if anyone else here has ever done one of these cruises and what their experiences were. Please let us know.

Have a good day everyone!

EDIT: Jaggy is correct with his statements about the legs as well. The cruises are divided into legs so that you can choose to do only some or you can do the entire thing if you so wish. Our friend always stays on and does the whole thing.

Old 07-30-2012, 03:36 PM

1,446 posts, read 4,058,452 times
Quote:
Ahhh, one day! But, hey, I'm only 20, I've still got a long time to save up for it!
You are only 20? Well, you may be very interested in knowing that the University of Virginia organizes something called the "Semester at Sea." My friend did this in college back in the late 1990s. It is a cruise all around the world in which you take classes on the ship when not on the excursions. Basically, it is a chance to both learn about and actually see the world! The credits are transferable to most other universities too. I strongly recommend that you at least take a look at their website if you are interested in sailing around the world. The link to the website is here...Semester at Sea

Old 07-30-2012, 04:45 PM

1,744 posts, read 3,202,452 times
We were on a two week segment of a QE2 world cruise in 2006. Our leg was from NYC to LA. Beatrice (lady that lived onboard) was onboard but kept to herself for the most part. Most of the folks who were doing long portions of the world cruise were wealthy and retired. There were a few that were so old and frail that they rarely made it out of their cabins. During the two weeks, two people died. They had a very large morgue for a cruise ship.

Old 07-30-2012, 10:27 PM

774 posts, read 1,425,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chilkoot View Post

There were a few that were so old and frail that they rarely made it out of their cabins. During the two weeks, two people died. They had a very large morgue for a cruise ship.
OMG!

OTOH, when I think about it, it's not such a bad way to go in the end.

Only, if you should need serious expert medical attention, you're SOL on the high seas

Old 07-31-2012, 07:35 AM

14,253 posts, read 15,347,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Archguy View Post
OMG!

OTOH, when I think about it, it's not such a bad way to go in the end.

Only, if you should need serious expert medical attention, you're SOL on the high seas
Most cruise ships have pretty good medical centers and doctors on board. And, if it is really serious, you are rarely so far from land that you cannot be helicoptered out.

Old 07-31-2012, 07:46 PM

39,578 posts, read 47,812,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggy001 View Post
Most cruise ships have pretty good medical centers and doctors on board. And, if it is really serious, you are rarely so far from land that you cannot be helicoptered out.
In our experience, 9 cruises, we found that the medical on board is really basic treatment with maybe one doctor and one nurse on board. They do not do surgeries if needed, so you may need to be flown out. If you need to be helicoptered out it is extremely expensive. Mininum about $50,000. And if you're going from say New York to Europe or Los Angeles to Australia you would be several days on the sea before hitting a port. The helicopters in some cases can't get out far enough to pickup a medical need.
I would suggest you take along your medical history as well as extra meds that you are taking just in case of a medical problem.
This is where cruise insurance with medical coverage is important to get.

Old 07-31-2012, 09:25 PM

69 posts, read 181,657 times
look up a ship called "the world." it is a luxury residential ship that travels the world. when you say - what do the rich and famous do with thier money and where do they travel to - this is it. i saw this ship in the port of balto. last year.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Cruises