U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Cruises
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-31-2012, 02:38 AM

1 posts, read 1,013 times

Advertisements

Currently, we are planning a small ship cruising for the next holiday. We like to explore Belize and Guatemala. Any hints or tips to consider? What about Blount Small ship Adventures? Are they trustable? Please share your feedback if any.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2012, 07:36 AM

14,253 posts, read 15,334,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by edenwalker View Post
Currently, we are planning a small ship cruising for the next holiday. We like to explore Belize and Guatemala. Any hints or tips to consider? What about Blount Small ship Adventures? Are they trustable? Please share your feedback if any.
Best advice is to check cruise critic.

Old 08-01-2012, 12:37 AM

2 posts, read 31,300 times
Default Reply

I had a cruising with Blount small ship adventures last year and it was an unforgettable trip. Nice staffs and better facilities. The sight-seeing from the upper deck was amazing! It was a ten day trip and we travelled through the Southwater Cay, Glovers reef, Placencia, Castillo de San Felipe a lot more. We also enjoyed snorkeling in the Glovers Reef and Lim Cay. The journey was worth the money.

Old 08-03-2012, 06:59 AM

26,590 posts, read 54,601,121 times
We were recently on a small ship (~200 passengers) and it was an unforgettable experience. I highly doubt I'll ever cruise on a large ship again.

Old 08-04-2012, 10:02 AM

71,964 posts, read 83,640,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggy001 View Post
Best advice is to check cruise critic.
My thoughts exactly, but there are a few other cruise forum as well plus, and I know I sound like a broken record, a good travel agent..Small ship sailing can be very different from any other vacation and it can be a wonderful experience.

Old 08-09-2012, 05:41 PM

4,888 posts, read 3,974,996 times
The first time I cruised a long long time ago it was on a small ship, and I have to say that since, I have only done big ships, but my level of entertainment ahs changed some.

For one, I am always happy just relaxing and doing little or nothing, and as far as the ports of call, any one will provide me with entertainment and adventure, one way or another. I do not need packaged entertainment.
That being said, the small ship had one small I mean VERY SMALL pool, a very small gym (three treadmills and two weight machines) also one dining hall that was opened only during mealtimes. If you got hungry and wanted a snack at 3 PM, and you were not in a port, well, too bad. BUT I loved the quiet.
Again, if relaxing by the ool is suffice for you (it is for me) then a small ship with fewer amenties would be fine. BUT I sure do not want my kids who cruise with me now to get bored, so the big ships are certainly far from boring. Or quiet.

Old 08-10-2012, 06:48 AM

26,590 posts, read 54,601,121 times
The small ship I was on had food anytime--if you missed regular meal times and the sandwich bar was closed (usually open for a couple hours after lunch plus in the mid-morning for specialty coffees) or you wanted something different you could order room service--and they would deliver to the pool area as well as your room.

No nickel and dime extra charges for any food including specialty restaurants, specialty coffees, soda, juice, bottled water, etc.

The pool was small but we were on a port intensive Med cruise and they opened the sports platform so people could frolic in the sea a couple of times. The gym was well equipped, my husband used it daily and never complained. The spa was as nice as any I've been in on a big ship. The ratio of cruisers to staff was about 1:1. There was a ton of public space, you could either find others to mingle with of find a secluded spot on deck to read or spend quiet time with your spouse or SO. We thought there was more "space" on the small ship and any of the mass-loaders we've been on.

And there were no kids--kids under a certain age (10 maybe?) aren't even allowed to book--which is a big plus to many cruisers.

Old 08-10-2012, 01:07 PM

14,253 posts, read 15,334,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
We were recently on a small ship (~200 passengers) and it was an unforgettable experience. I highly doubt I'll ever cruise on a large ship again.
My wife and I are taking a 14 day Seabourn cruise next month. I got into a discussion with friends about pricing of this 'luxury' cruise line when compared with a larger cruise ship. So I ran the numbers comparing with a Royal Caribbean cruise on roughly the same itinerary and at the same time of year.

The Seabourn cruise was about 30% more expensive taking into account the size and location of room (junior suite), cost of drinks and wine with dinner, tipping, use of specialty restaurants, etc. (all included on Seabourn). I was quite surprised how low the price differential was when you consider how much less crowded the Seabourn ship is (just 450 passengers), the quality of service and the quality of dining in comparison to RC (and yes, I have been on RC).

We also get $550 in on-board credit. $250 for being Carnival shareholders and $300 from the travel agent.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Cruises