U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Cruises
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-21-2012, 08:35 AM

12,408 posts, read 16,479,274 times

Advertisements

Has anyone cruised with Regent?
It looks as though it would be great - for the first time traveler, especially - with pretty much all expenses paid cruising, free tours, no tipping, etc.

I think they offer multiple tours at each stop. Is there a mad rush to book them? Do you get to choose the moment you put down your deposit? How many people are at each tour?

Has anyone taken their world cruises? I find them interesting because they seem to stop at a different port almost every day, eliminating all those seemingly boring days at sea.

I think they can stop at smaller ports because they are smaller ships with perhaps 700 passengers.

I also believe that they don't have formal nights.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2012, 09:17 AM

14,253 posts, read 15,332,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldengrain View Post
Has anyone cruised with Regent?
It looks as though it would be great - for the first time traveler, especially - with pretty much all expenses paid cruising, free tours, no tipping, etc.

I think they offer multiple tours at each stop. Is there a mad rush to book them? Do you get to choose the moment you put down your deposit? How many people are at each tour?

Has anyone taken their world cruises? I find them interesting because they seem to stop at a different port almost every day, eliminating all those seemingly boring days at sea.

I think they can stop at smaller ports because they are smaller ships with perhaps 700 passengers.

I also believe that they don't have formal nights.
I cruised once with Regent from Ft. Lauderdale, through the Panama Canal and up to San Francisco.

Regent are very good. The rooms are all nice and a good size. I think smallest is a junior suite (300 sq.ft). Food is very good and there is no supplement for speciality restaurants although you do need to book for them. We were on Regent Voyager and there were four restaurants plus an outside grill on the pool deck which served lunches. Also, afternoon tea in the bar/lounge on deck 5 is not to be missed. There were also four or five bars including an outside one on the pool deck.

There were formal optional nights but it was certainly less formal than some other cruises I have been on. If you did not want to go formal there was always an informal restaurant.

The free tours were also very good. Usually between 30 and 50 people per tour bus. Our decision to cruise with Regent was last minute so we only booked tours once we got on-board. No problem getting them, however. Presumably, if you book early enough then you can choose your tours online. It is tradition to tip the tour guide who is not a Regent employee.

Old 09-23-2012, 04:58 PM

1,409 posts, read 2,354,982 times
I've been on eleven Regent cruises, in fact they're the only line so far that I've cruised.

They are great, and it's a wonderful experience. But, they are also very pricey, which is the reason why people are not stampeding to book them. But it's still a very good deal, if you want a luxury experience. Their fares are threatening to go up on October 1st, so you might want to book soon.

Old 10-01-2012, 09:42 AM

12,408 posts, read 16,479,274 times
Thanks. We're not ready yet, but I'm looking around. I would think it would be difficult to hear the tour guide with so many people. I thought they offered a lot of tours per port, but when you think of it, 700 passengers at 50 people per tour gives you 14 tours per port.

Old 10-01-2012, 07:39 PM

26,590 posts, read 54,595,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldengrain View Post
Thanks. We're not ready yet, but I'm looking around. I would think it would be difficult to hear the tour guide with so many people. I thought they offered a lot of tours per port, but when you think of it, 700 passengers at 50 people per tour gives you 14 tours per port.
You'll find that many passengers on the luxury ships are well traveled and not afraid to go off on their own or hire a private guide as opposed to taking ship's shore excursions.

On my latest cruise (on a luxury line) I'd say that maybe 25% of the ship took a ship sponsored shore excursion on any given day. I think we took shore excursions twice on a two week cruise with 11 ports. We took private tours twice, and the rest of the time we just did our own thing, using public transit as needed.

By the way, on a port intensive cruise, you'll look forward to that day at sea so you can recharge. There are plenty of activities to keep you occupied if you choose, or you can choose to do nothing.

Old 10-07-2012, 05:04 PM

71,957 posts, read 83,625,334 times
Regent is a great cruise line and yes, having a lot included does simplify things Arnerk mentioned cruise arranged tour versus individual tours; he is right, many people do thier own thing. I will add, for a first time cruiser I recommend using the ships sponsored tours, but after you have cruised a few times a lot of people prefer doing their own thing.

Old 10-08-2012, 01:46 PM

14,253 posts, read 15,332,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
Regent is a great cruise line and yes, having a lot included does simplify things Arnerk mentioned cruise arranged tour versus individual tours; he is right, many people do thier own thing. I will add, for a first time cruiser I recommend using the ships sponsored tours, but after you have cruised a few times a lot of people prefer doing their own thing.
We just finished a 14 day, port intensive (no sea days) cruise. We only took three tours. The rest of the time we did our own thing.

Old 10-10-2012, 06:41 PM

71,957 posts, read 83,625,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggy001 View Post
We just finished a 14 day, port intensive (no sea days) cruise. We only took three tours. The rest of the time we did our own thing.
We have cruise about 26 or 27 times now, getting ready for our next in Jan. We too, do our own thing most of the time or with people we meet on CruiseCritic. Our last, 12 day cruise we did 1 with the cruise line because it was NY city and we were more comfortable. We did another with them but after we disimbarked. It was Boston and the only par that had to do with the cruise itself was the bus from the port to the market area, from there we did our own thing. We have always had good with private tours. My advise will always be the same, if you are totally a new cruiser, you might be better off with cruise lines tours or if time is of the issense stick with the cruise line. We almost missed the ship once: IT was a bit scary...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Cruises