U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Cruises
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-16-2013, 05:29 PM

5,847 posts, read 8,611,043 times

Advertisements

I'm doing a Danube River cruise this summer. I've never done a river cruise before. Should be interesting.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2013, 02:10 PM

71,985 posts, read 83,671,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dazzleman View Post
I'm doing a Danube River cruise this summer. I've never done a river cruise before. Should be interesting.
I have never done a river cruise, but know many who have and i have yet to hear a negative except they are very expensive. That is the feedback that isn't always positive. Plus it is a new and very different experience from cruising on a floating hotel.

Old 03-18-2013, 02:55 PM

26,590 posts, read 54,613,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
I have never done a river cruise, but know many who have and i have yet to hear a negative except they are very expensive. That is the feedback that isn't always positive. Plus it is a new and very different experience from cruising on a floating hotel.
I've looked into them extensively and they are no more expensive than any small ship cruise in Europe. Sure, they're going to cost more than Costa or MSC, but you get what you pay for.

Old 03-19-2013, 12:19 AM

1,534 posts, read 3,783,140 times
We're rather fond of European river trips. Its one of our preferred way to travel.

We leave on the 31st for France, two trips almost back to back, with an arranged layover in Paris. We fly into Nice, catch the ship at Arles & cruise up to Paris, 7 nights in Paris, then cruise up the Seine to Normandy/Honfleurs and then back to Paris for a 4/28 departure. 29 days

Last fall we did a Black Sea to North Sea single trip - flew into Romania (Black Sea) and cruised up to Amsterdam at the North Sea. 28 days

In prior years, we've also done:

Amsterdam to Vienna. 16 days

Russia - Moscow to St Petersburg. 16 days

Rhine/Mosel - Basel to Brussels. 16 days

I'd be happy to answer any questions you may have.

Last edited by Pilgrim21784; 03-19-2013 at 12:40 AM..

Old 03-24-2013, 10:45 AM

22,710 posts, read 28,757,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
........... i have yet to hear a negative except they are very expensive.l.
Land "cruising" in Europe is expensive, too. Car rentals are expensive, gasoline is really expensive. Hotels are expensive. Restaurants are expensive. Even eating out of the supermarkets instead of restaurants is expensive.

The river cruises go through some high cost areas.

"Cheap" and "European vacation" don't really belong in the same sentence.

Old 03-24-2013, 11:06 PM

5,328 posts, read 11,055,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
would rather avoid the wheelchair and walker group for the time being.
If there are any *older* couples in a wheel chair, it may be just one ???

If that bothers you ... ?

We have lived there for many years (as a youth, then when married and sent *overseas*) and only now we are back Stateside, we have done the *river cruises*.
For us actually a fun way to *relive* the times we had before with the kids.

We have done river cruises in Sweden, France, Holland and Germany.
Only one comment possible (from us !!).
The only way to really *Do Nothing, but relax ...*

I think in Italian, it is called *Dolce far niente*

Old 03-25-2013, 04:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by irman View Post
If there are any *older* couples in a wheel chair, it may be just one ???

If that bothers you ... ?

We have lived there for many years (as a youth, then when married and sent *overseas*) and only now we are back Stateside, we have done the *river cruises*.
For us actually a fun way to *relive* the times we had before with the kids.

We have done river cruises in Sweden, France, Holland and Germany.
Only one comment possible (from us !!).
The only way to really *Do Nothing, but relax ...*

I think in Italian, it is called *Dolce far niente*
Maybe you misunderstood what I was saying. At this stage of my life, I don't care to be on a cruise where the majority of people are quite elderly. Active seniors, no problem. Big difference.

I don't go to Europe to relax. It's generally a face paced trip with my days jam packed with exploring and sight-seeing.

Old 03-25-2013, 08:44 PM

Quote:
It's generally a fast paced trip with my days jam packed with exploring and sight-seeing.
Not good idea then to do a river cruise.
Unlike those big ships on the Mediterranean, not much to do aboard those vessels.
Sleep, eat, play cards, hang around on the deck, and wait for the next stop along the route.

The majority, as I have encountered, are at least mid 50's and up.
Most of them, retired with money to throw away.
Many of them kind of obnoxious (!), they *smell* old !
Never seen wheel chair bound.

Reason *we* like to do this is because we have done, and are done with what you still do ...
We *yanked* the kids all over (work related).
A bit cheaper for us now, due to *no kids to take care of* and *connections* ...

Old 03-27-2013, 03:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by irman View Post
Not good idea then to do a river cruise.
Unlike those big ships on the Mediterranean, not much to do aboard those vessels.
Sleep, eat, play cards, hang around on the deck, and wait for the next stop along the route.

The majority, as I have encountered, are at least mid 50's and up.
Most of them, retired with money to throw away.
Many of them kind of obnoxious (!), they *smell* old !
Never seen wheel chair bound.

Reason *we* like to do this is because we have done, and are done with what you still do ...
We *yanked* the kids all over (work related).
A bit cheaper for us now, due to *no kids to take care of* and *connections* ...
I've never done a "big ship" on the Med, I've cruised on small ships (under 300 passengers) on the Med. The thought of cruising the Med (or pretty much anywhere) on a big ship is not at all appealing.

We are early 50's, aren't into big nightlife, but enjoy exploring new places. I've also been all over the world--both work related and pleasure.

PS--I saw earlier that Royal Caribbean is sending one of their monster ships to the Med. I'll be absolutely shure it won't be in any ports I'm going to on the same day, or I'll book a different cruise! I don't know how they expect that 6000 people won't completely overtax the infrastructure or most European port cities.

Old 03-28-2013, 06:02 PM

Quote:
I The thought of cruising the Med (or pretty much anywhere) on a big ship is not at all appealing.
The best *river cruise* we ever made was one on the Loire river. Just us (wive and I), a couple of bicycles and just enjoying the surroundings. We still keep in contact with those people who ran that *cruise*. Never had so much GOOD home cooking !!!

Have you tried the canal boat trip from Gothenburg to Stockholm yet ? Not on one of those *big* ships, but again on one of those smallish ones ?

But ... , may be you are not *old* enough yet ... )
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Cruises