U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Cruises
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-29-2013, 07:07 AM

5,848 posts, read 8,612,708 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by irman View Post
Not good idea then to do a river cruise.
Unlike those big ships on the Mediterranean, not much to do aboard those vessels.
Sleep, eat, play cards, hang around on the deck, and wait for the next stop along the route.

The majority, as I have encountered, are at least mid 50's and up.
Most of them, retired with money to throw away.
Many of them kind of obnoxious (!), they *smell* old !
Never seen wheel chair bound.

Reason *we* like to do this is because we have done, and are done with what you still do ...
We *yanked* the kids all over (work related).
A bit cheaper for us now, due to *no kids to take care of* and *connections* ...
I don't mind snobby people with money to throw around. I can out-snob just about anybody if I have to. And it can be fun....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2013, 07:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
Maybe you misunderstood what I was saying. At this stage of my life, I don't care to be on a cruise where the majority of people are quite elderly. Active seniors, no problem. Big difference.

I don't go to Europe to relax. It's generally a face paced trip with my days jam packed with exploring and sight-seeing.
I am the same way when I go to Europe. I want to see a lot of things, and get in a lot of physical activity.

I am a bit concerned, but not overly, about the river cruise. I love the floating holiday aspect of the ocean ships. I take spin classes, use the gym, swim, etc. None of these things will be available on the river cruise.

But more time will be spent in the ports, and less time on the ship. Also, the river cruise will have beautiful views the whole way, so it could be very relaxing to just sit up on deck with a drink and watch the beautiful scenery. The ocean doesn't have as much to look at.

I think that fun is what you make of it, and I think we can both have fun on these river cruises if we play it right.

Old 03-29-2013, 08:29 AM

26,590 posts, read 54,620,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dazzleman View Post
The ocean doesn't have as much to look at.

I think that fun is what you make of it, and I think we can both have fun on these river cruises if we play it right.
My last cruise was around the boot of Italy, up the Dalmation coast to Venice, then down the Dalmation coast to some Greek islands before finishing in Athens. There was only one day the entire time were we weren't within a mile or so from shore--put it this way, I called home on my cell every day, and only once had to use the ships service as opposed to picking up a local carrier from the shore. The scenery was stunning.

Next year we're of to French Polynesia and we'll never be out of sight of an island.

Old 03-29-2013, 11:30 AM

Quote:
My last cruise was around the boot of Italy, up the Dalmation coast to Venice, then down the Dalmation coast to some Greek islands before finishing in Athens. There was only one day the entire time were we weren't within a mile or so from shore--put it this way, I called home on my cell every day, and only once had to use the ships service as opposed to picking up a local carrier from the shore. The scenery was stunning.

Next year we're of to French Polynesia and we'll never be out of sight of an island.
That sounds wonderful!

What line did you cruise on?

Old 03-29-2013, 02:12 PM

413 posts, read 766,976 times
Default Amadagio

I recommend Amadagio cruise lines: Danube or Rhone. Great food, good tour guides.
vacationstogo.com is a good site to book.

Old 06-01-2013, 03:20 PM

1 posts, read 1,004 times
I want to see the Chateaux along the Loire River but much longer than a 50-minute cruise but at no where near the cost of a floating hotel. Any ideas??

Old 06-03-2013, 10:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dazzleman View Post
That sounds wonderful!

What line did you cruise on?
Windstar. I can't wait to sail on them again. We would have gone to Tahiti with them next year, but were already booked on the Paul Gauguin when Windstar announced their return to Tahiti. I'm hoping they deploy one of the triplets to Australia and New Zealand, as that's a trip near the top of our bucket list.

Old 06-04-2013, 12:57 PM

72,014 posts, read 83,688,530 times
Quote:
Windstar. I can't wait to sail on them again. We would have gone to Tahiti with them next year, but were already booked on the Paul Gauguin when Windstar announced their return to Tahiti. I'm hoping they deploy one of the triplets to Australia and New Zealand, as that's a trip near the top of our bucket list.
I too would love to do Windstar, but the itineraries we like involve too much flying to get to the port and hubby just can't be on airplanes that long anymore. Of course the price is an issue. Even with what in included the smaller ships are still out of our price range. If we were younger, maybe I would say: ok,only a trip ever year in 1/2 or 2, but it is worth it. For us, we don't know how much longer we will be able to travel, so we do what we can, when we can.

Old 06-05-2013, 06:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
I too would love to do Windstar, but the itineraries we like involve too much flying to get to the port and hubby just can't be on airplanes that long anymore. Of course the price is an issue. Even with what in included the smaller ships are still out of our price range. If we were younger, maybe I would say: ok,only a trip ever year in 1/2 or 2, but it is worth it. For us, we don't know how much longer we will be able to travel, so we do what we can, when we can.
You do realize that they do Caribbean in the winter months, calling on a lot of smaller ports that the large ships can't get anywhere near, right?

Old 06-07-2013, 03:08 PM

72,014 posts, read 83,688,530 times
Quote:
You do realize that they do Caribbean in the winter months, calling on a lot of smaller ports that the large ships can't get anywhere near, right?
Yep, being a Travel Agent for 10 plus years and working in the hospitality industry for 10 years before that I do, but we still think Europe or the South Pacific when we think those lines and/or high $$s.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Cruises