U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Cruises
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-02-2012, 08:29 AM

5,002 posts, read 4,250,294 times

Advertisements

Hi there,

We have cruised a few times eitehr in the Carribean or in Europe which was great. Now next year we were thinking of doing a Rhine river cruise. Has anyone done this, and with what cruise line. We have two teenagers (13 & 14) and are wondering if it would be boring for them?

Thanks
d
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-03-2012, 02:59 AM

42 posts, read 75,036 times
Hi,

a rhine-cruise is a wonderfull way to travell, but i am not sure what your kids will think about it :-)

Maybe city hopping by using rhine boats will be better ?!

Greats from Germany

Old 10-03-2012, 01:44 PM

1,409 posts, read 2,353,783 times
Try asking this question on the River Cruising forum on Cruise Critic.

I haven't done one of these cruises yet, but I've done a fair amount of research. Depending on the teenagers, they may very well be bored to tears. They certainly won't have anyone else their age to talk to onboard.

Old 10-21-2012, 03:37 AM

7,629 posts, read 14,374,443 times
Love river cruising, but it is NOT for kids...especially that age. The clientel is much older than the normal cruise ship, NOTHING at all for the kids to do, and very quiet with bridge games and just sitting above deckwatching the world go by kind of relaxation. I would do a Med cruise on one of the ships with full activities onboard if we were taking the kiddos.

Old 02-15-2013, 05:36 AM
Status: "Trump: Inept, Incompetent, Insecure" (set 1 day ago)

10,504 posts, read 6,199,370 times
A few years ago we did a Danube river cruise on Uniworld. It was a 'Christmas Market" cruise (in early December). We embarked in Passau, Germany, and disembarked in Budapest, stopping at various towns along the way and enjoying the Christmas markets each town had (Linz, Krems, Vienna, etc). It was a wonderful time, albeit very, very cold!

One thing I liked about Uniworld (and Viking too, I am told) is that all shore excursions are included in your price.

A co-worker told me just yesterday that next October he is taking Viking from Lucern to Amsterdam, a cruise I hope to take someday.

Since most of the major cities of Europe were built along the main rivers, river cruising is a good way to visit them.

My one regret on our cruise: that we did not spend extra time in Budapest. One of the most beautiful cities I have ever seen.

Old 02-16-2013, 06:11 AM

26,590 posts, read 54,571,346 times
Legalsea, that itinerary has always interested me. Did you find the demographic on board to be very elderly, active retiree, or something else? We are in our 50's, so we fit in really well with the active retiree group, but would rather avoid the wheelchair and walker group for the time being.

Also, just how cold was it?

Old 02-16-2013, 08:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
Legalsea, that itinerary has always interested me. Did you find the demographic on board to be very elderly, active retiree, or something else? We are in our 50's, so we fit in really well with the active retiree group, but would rather avoid the wheelchair and walker group for the time being.

Also, just how cold was it?

Annerk: you will fit in very well. My wife and I were also in our 50s at the time (53 or thereabouts), and most of the people on board were around that age group to the high 60s. A very good group! I do not recall there being the infirmed that you usually find on the big cruise ships. I will note that these river ships are not really made to accomodate wheelchairs easily.

Cold? Very cold. How cold? Blasted cold. I guess that an average temperature was in the mid 30s to maybe 45 degrees during the day (and colder at night). We had our 'long johns', heavy coats, sweaters and hats. My wife hates the cold, but she enjoyed the Christmas markets so much we plan to repeat the trip in a couple of years. The coldest day by far was in Vienne, which was about 30 degrees with a wicked wind. Even then, we enjoyed it (although we were walking very, very fast).

Again: if I had to do over again, I would either start the cruise in Budapest (where you would spend two nights in that city) or, if Budapest were at the end (as our cruise) arrange to stay a few extra days.

I highly recommend Uniworld, although I believe that Viking is considered equal, at the least.

Old 02-16-2013, 08:57 AM

Thanks. A few more questions if you'll indulge me...

Are the markets inside or all outside? Is there protection from the elements? I can handle 30-45 degrees, but don't like the wind. Were you outside much at night, or were the port calls primarily during the day?

Did you find the ship warm enough in your cabin and common areas?

How was the food? How were the cabins? I've heard they are very small on river cruise ships--We've been in a few that were in the 170-190 range and been fine, but anything smaller than that might be pushing it...

Old 02-16-2013, 09:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
Thanks. A few more questions if you'll indulge me...

Are the markets inside or all outside? Is there protection from the elements? I can handle 30-45 degrees, but don't like the wind. Were you outside much at night, or were the port calls primarily during the day?

Did you find the ship warm enough in your cabin and common areas?

How was the food? How were the cabins? I've heard they are very small on river cruise ships--We've been in a few that were in the 170-190 range and been fine, but anything smaller than that might be pushing it...

The Christmas markets are all outside. The wind was only a problem that single day in Vienna.

If I recall correctly we spent most days sightseeing, and then would spend an hour or so in the 'evening' shopping at the Christmas markets (mind that during the winter, night falls early). We never minded the weather during our shopping excursions, and there were usually tents or such that you could dart into, if needed (for beer, etc).

The ship was nice and warm. I can't really speak about the food, although the breakfast buffet was good. My wife is very shy about meeting new people (and to eat in the dining room at night would entail sitting at a table with strangers, unless one of the few two-people tables were available) so virtually every night we ate in the town we were docked at (such as getting wonderful Bratwurst or other sausage, German potato salad, etc., and bring it back to the room).

For our cruise I sprung for one of the four 'suites', which was 'large', but only in comparison with the other, regular rooms. If I can find my notes I will post again concerning the square footage.

We did visit the regular statement of another couple: it was small. Room for the double bed, and I believe a nightstand and a chair, with drawers built into a wall. I was rather shocked. I doubt it was 150 square feet. Indeed, I just googled and found one reference to the standard cabins being 120 square feet, which I can believe. I guess that means our 'suite' was maybe 200 square feet. I recall that one of the features of our suite was a build in whirlpool bath, which literally sat at the foot of the bed.

NOTE: I believe the actual Uniworld ship we cruised on is no longer in service. I think Uniworld (and Viking, according to a co-worker) have all newer vessels, which have larger cabins.

Regardless, these river ships are narrow, by necessity.

I will post more information as I get it.

Old 02-16-2013, 09:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by legalsea View Post

I will post more information as I get it.
Excellent--Thank you!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Cruises