U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Cruises
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-07-2012, 09:20 PM

2,449 posts, read 4,442,244 times

Advertisements

I went on NCL earlier this year, around spring break time. Before the cruise, I bought a couple of large bottles mouthwash and emptied them out. I poured in a bottle of rum into one and a bottle of vodka into another. The mouthwash was "blue mint" or whatever flavor, so I added 2 drops of blue food coloring and it was totally indistinguishable from the real mouthwash and got on with no trouble.

Do it the night before or morning of your cruise. For mine, the minty mouthwash smell stuck around for about 24 hours or so, so even if they open it up and smell it, it smells just like mouthwash. The only way they could tell is if they actually taste it. Note that the taste of the alcohol was never affected and it tasted just like it was being poured out of its normal bottle.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2012, 10:01 PM

1,642 posts, read 4,525,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
and that is always our delima. We used to be fine with just ordering a bar set up in our cabin which gave us our booze for cabin use; of course when we are in public we do buy drinks. Now, the cost of bar set ups have gotten so high, they almost invite us to smuggle. I do, usually bring a few bottles of wine on board and pay the $15 cockage fee.. Some lines are now charging $20.00. The drink package is pricey unless you really drink a lot. Normally, we find a way to get a couple of bottles of wine free; either cause we are frequent guests on a particular line or some other way. Then we take advantage of the 2 for 1 drinks before dinner, etc. This way we do keep the bar bill down somewhat..
I'm gonna try those rum runner's on my next cruise......just to bring enough for a good pregame
I'm not much of a wine drinker myself.....maybe I'll bring a couple of bottles of Thunderbird

Old 12-10-2012, 01:59 PM

8,178 posts, read 16,557,265 times
A suggestion I heard the other day was interesting.

For the cruiselines that allow you to bring on wine.

If you buy wine with a screw top...you know...the high quality ones lol...once they're empty rinse and put you liquor in those. When they go thru the scanner, the person scanning is looking for the shape of the bottle not what's in it.

I like my rum runners but am always open to suggestions.

Old 12-10-2012, 03:42 PM

31,729 posts, read 20,009,652 times
We used them a couple years ago - they're great! When we boarded we had them in our luggage. Supplies got low so we took them to port with us and filled them up, and brought back in our backpacks. No problems.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Cruises