U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Cruises
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-22-2012, 12:19 AM

39,527 posts, read 47,687,050 times

Advertisements

We cruise Princess as they seem to attract the older adult generation and have all the amenities we need. Our past experiences on all of them (7) have been wonderful. RC, Holland are similiar. We enjoy their smaller ships of Princess. The super large ones are like being in a crowded city. Getting off and on the bigger ships can be a hassle at various ports. The shows are crowded, eating can be a hassle when it's crowded too.
OP, you should google each cruise line and select the itinerary of each and then decide which one to take.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2012, 09:01 AM

21,955 posts, read 22,099,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nitram View Post
We cruise Princess as they seem to attract the older adult generation and have all the amenities we need. Our past experiences on all of them (7) have been wonderful. RC, Holland are similiar. We enjoy their smaller ships of Princess. The super large ones are like being in a crowded city. Getting off and on the bigger ships can be a hassle at various ports. The shows are crowded, eating can be a hassle when it's crowded too.
OP, you should google each cruise line and select the itinerary of each and then decide which one to take.
Thanks! That was very helpful. A couple of people have mentioned going on smaller ships. We'll definitely keep that in mind.

Old 10-22-2012, 12:44 PM

26,590 posts, read 54,571,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
Nightlife and shows have little, if any, interest for us. We're not drinkers, but fine dining would be somewhat of a selling point. I like the idea of a cruise with mostly adults, but even though we're retired, I don't think we'd be interested in a cruise where everyone was part of the geriatric set! I would love a nice spa and amenities of that sort, nice shops, etc., and enough time off the ship to do more than run and buy some tacky souvenir.
Look very closely at Wind Star. We've sailed them a couple of times and they are terrific! Demographic seemed to run 45 to very active low 70's. Elegant casual atmosphere made packing a breeze and amazing ports that larger ships can't visit. The food and service were great and I enjoyed the spa. Not much shopping on board (they have a small shop with necessities) but when you are in port every day, you don't really need anything larger on the ship. They are less expensive than SilverStar, Crystal, or Seabourn. They do offer a couple of bars/lounges with entertainment, but it's not the focus.

Old 10-22-2012, 05:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
Look very closely at Wind Star. We've sailed them a couple of times and they are terrific! Demographic seemed to run 45 to very active low 70's. Elegant casual atmosphere made packing a breeze and amazing ports that larger ships can't visit. The food and service were great and I enjoyed the spa. Not much shopping on board (they have a small shop with necessities) but when you are in port every day, you don't really need anything larger on the ship. They are less expensive than SilverStar, Crystal, or Seabourn. They do offer a couple of bars/lounges with entertainment, but it's not the focus.
Sounds very much like what I think we're looking for! Thank you!

Old 10-25-2012, 01:33 PM

71,920 posts, read 83,566,150 times
Quote:
Could you tell me a little more about these three? I've never even heard of any of them (which isn't really saying much since the only cruise we've ever taken was a Caribbean one on Carnival with our kids a number of years ago). I was expecting to see the names Royal Caribbean, Holland America, Princess, etc. Why did you suggest these three? Thanks!
Holland America is a great choice, especially for older cruisers. Regent is more upscale and I am surprised no one has suggested Oceana. I would stay away from the really small ships, if you have cruised. You might be a little bored, but they do offer great service and an intiment feeling.

Old 10-25-2012, 02:06 PM

4,486 posts, read 15,278,657 times
Quote:
Sounds very much like what I think we're looking for! Thank you!
You sound exactly like my parents. They're both retired (65 and 70) but are extremely active, love to get out and travel. Money isn't really an issue; all of us kids have told them that go ahead and spend their money and have fun...we don't want it!

They've cruised extensively throughout the past few years. Some of the lines, that I can remember them traveling, are Royal Caribbean, Regent Seven Seas, Cunard, and Crystal although I imagine I have forgot one or two. The best cruise line, for their style of cruising, was the Regent Seven Seas.

Regent offered the best combo of price, locale, excursions, luxury, and entertainment. The ships are larger than many other luxury cruise lines so it's not as intimate but my dad has a slight phobia of enclosed spaces so being on a larger ship is a plus for him. He doesn't like feeling confined and when you're in the middle of the ocean, that can be a problem. He's always enjoyed cruises though, I think they're planning on another for next Fall.

I also believe the Regent cruises are less expensive than some of the smaller, luxury lines. The last cruise they took was from Greece to Turkey for 11 or 12 days I believe. It was the smallest suite with a personal concierge; I want to say it was between $13K and $15K per person included airfare and a one-night hotel stay. The next trip they're planning is from London to Barcelona on Regent Seven Seas and I think my mom mentioned it was around $21K/ per person but this was close to a four-week cruise.

If you want anymore information about experiences on the above cruise lines, I'm sure I could relay any questions to my parents if you have concerns. They're always willing to talk about how much they love to travel, sounds like you two would get along well!

Old 10-25-2012, 02:26 PM

26,590 posts, read 54,571,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
Holland America is a great choice, especially for older cruisers. Regent is more upscale and I am surprised no one has suggested Oceana. I would stay away from the really small ships, if you have cruised. You might be a little bored, but they do offer great service and an intiment feeling.
Have you ever sailed a small ship?

Old 10-25-2012, 04:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeedyAZ View Post
You sound exactly like my parents. They're both retired (65 and 70) but are extremely active, love to get out and travel. Money isn't really an issue; all of us kids have told them that go ahead and spend their money and have fun...we don't want it!
What a coincidence. Your parents are our ages, almost exactly! 64 and 70 to be specific. Thanks for your input!

Old 10-25-2012, 05:17 PM

4,486 posts, read 15,278,657 times
Quote:
What a coincidence. Your parents are our ages, almost exactly! 64 and 70 to be specific. Thanks for your input!
If you want to go from London to Barcelona in September for four weeks or so, I'll be glad to put them in contact with you! They always love meeting new people; my dad farmed for 40+ years while my mom was a homemaker and did some work in financial and medical records for quite a few years. They've met some of the most fascinating people on cruises- former CEO's of Fortune 500 companies, politicians, famous attorneys and doctors, and even a few people that lived about 5 blocks from their home in Arizona who they never met before the cruise.

The one thing they enjoyed about Regent cruises over Royal Caribbean or Crystal was the lack of a bunch of children and young people. My parents like children and particularly love their grandchildren but they want to be with people of similar age and not a bunch of 20-something party animals. They've found most people on the Regent cruises were in their mid to late 40's to upper 70's and even a fair share of 80+ year old couples. They've made quite a few friends and they stay in contact with a few couples who they actually plan on going with on the London cruise. I'd highly recommend it from they're experiences.

Old 10-25-2012, 07:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeedyAZ View Post
If you want to go from London to Barcelona in September for four weeks or so, I'll be glad to put them in contact with you! They always love meeting new people; my dad farmed for 40+ years while my mom was a homemaker and did some work in financial and medical records for quite a few years. They've met some of the most fascinating people on cruises- former CEO's of Fortune 500 companies, politicians, famous attorneys and doctors, and even a few people that lived about 5 blocks from their home in Arizona who they never met before the cruise.

The one thing they enjoyed about Regent cruises over Royal Caribbean or Crystal was the lack of a bunch of children and young people. My parents like children and particularly love their grandchildren but they want to be with people of similar age and not a bunch of 20-something party animals. They've found most people on the Regent cruises were in their mid to late 40's to upper 70's and even a fair share of 80+ year old couples. They've made quite a few friends and they stay in contact with a few couples who they actually plan on going with on the London cruise. I'd highly recommend it from they're experiences.
You mean September, 2013 I'm assuming?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Cruises