U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Cruises
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 10-21-2012, 12:46 PM
 
Location: Salt Lake City
21,959 posts, read 22,113,760 times
Reputation: 10690

Advertisements

I know this must have been asked before, but I would appreciate information from those of you who have cruised fairly extensively and can post from first-hand experience. Which cruise line(s) did you like best, and why? Which ones would you avoid? Thanks so much.

(We're primarily thinking of a Mediterranean cruise or possibly some other cruise departing from somewhere in Europe.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 10-21-2012, 01:22 PM
 
26,590 posts, read 54,590,084 times
Reputation: 13019
It depends on your budget and the demographics of your party.

Without knowing a bit more about you it's impossible to say.

That said you'd never catch me on a cruise ship that carries more than maybe 600 passengers again--especially not on a port intensive cruise like the Med. I was in Santorini last summer, fortunately there were only two small ships in port while we were there with a total of about 400 passengers. As we were leaving a large ship came into the harbor and started belching tourists. By the time the last of them got off the tender and into town they might have had a couple of hours before it was time to reverse the process and return to the ship. That left enough time to um... spend money in the gift shops, that's about it. Certainly not enough time to see the volcano or Oia. Why bother?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-21-2012, 02:24 PM
 
Location: Salt Lake City
21,959 posts, read 22,113,760 times
Reputation: 10690
Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
It depends on your budget and the demographics of your party.

Without knowing a bit more about you it's impossible to say.
Yeah, I suppose it would be. Let's just assume that money is no object. I'm not saying that's the case, but for now, I am not thinking too much in terms of cost. It would be my husband and me -- retired but active, not into partying, but wanting to just take it easy and relax on board the ship, and then experience as fully as possible the various ports of call.

Quote:
That said you'd never catch me on a cruise ship that carries more than maybe 600 passengers again--especially not on a port intensive cruise like the Med. I was in Santorini last summer, fortunately there were only two small ships in port while we were there with a total of about 400 passengers. As we were leaving a large ship came into the harbor and started belching tourists. By the time the last of them got off the tender and into town they might have had a couple of hours before it was time to reverse the process and return to the ship. That left enough time to um... spend money in the gift shops, that's about it. Certainly not enough time to see the volcano or Oia. Why bother?
That's a very good point. Thanks for bringing that up!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-21-2012, 02:26 PM
 
14,253 posts, read 15,331,065 times
Reputation: 13682
Which cruise line is best depends on many factors .......

I would start with your budget. Then look for the itinerary you like best within that budget. Then there are other questions .. are there kids or teenagers in your party? If so then you need a ship that caters to them. Are shows important to you? Is night life important to you? Do you want fine dining or are you okay with regular food? Are you drinkers? Alcohol is expensive on many cruise lines. If you are drinkers then an all inclusive might be best.

Personally, I am with annerk on preferring a smaller ship. But a smaller ship usually offers less in the way of night life and shows. So you need to give some thought to what you want.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-21-2012, 02:27 PM
 
14,253 posts, read 15,331,065 times
Reputation: 13682
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
Yeah, I suppose it would be. Let's just assume that money is no object. I'm not saying that's the case, but for now, I am not thinking too much in terms of cost. It would be my husband and me -- retired but active, not into partying, but wanting to just take it easy and relax on board the ship, and then experience as fully as possible the various ports of call.

That's a very good point. Thanks for bringing that up!
Money no object, older couple .... I would look at Silversea, Regent or Seabourn.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-21-2012, 02:44 PM
 
Location: Salt Lake City
21,959 posts, read 22,113,760 times
Reputation: 10690
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggy001 View Post
Which cruise line is best depends on many factors .......

I would start with your budget. Then look for the itinerary you like best within that budget. Then there are other questions .. are there kids or teenagers in your party? If so then you need a ship that caters to them. Are shows important to you? Is night life important to you? Do you want fine dining or are you okay with regular food? Are you drinkers? Alcohol is expensive on many cruise lines. If you are drinkers then an all inclusive might be best.

Personally, I am with annerk on preferring a smaller ship. But a smaller ship usually offers less in the way of night life and shows. So you need to give some thought to what you want.
Nightlife and shows have little, if any, interest for us. We're not drinkers, but fine dining would be somewhat of a selling point. I like the idea of a cruise with mostly adults, but even though we're retired, I don't think we'd be interested in a cruise where everyone was part of the geriatric set! I would love a nice spa and amenities of that sort, nice shops, etc., and enough time off the ship to do more than run and buy some tacky souvenir.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-21-2012, 02:49 PM
 
Location: Salt Lake City
21,959 posts, read 22,113,760 times
Reputation: 10690
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggy001 View Post
Money no object, older couple .... I would look at Silversea, Regent or Seabourn.
Could you tell me a little more about these three? I've never even heard of any of them (which isn't really saying much since the only cruise we've ever taken was a Caribbean one on Carnival with our kids a number of years ago). I was expecting to see the names Royal Caribbean, Holland America, Princess, etc. Why did you suggest these three? Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-21-2012, 03:37 PM
 
14,253 posts, read 15,331,065 times
Reputation: 13682
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
Could you tell me a little more about these three? I've never even heard of any of them (which isn't really saying much since the only cruise we've ever taken was a Caribbean one on Carnival with our kids a number of years ago). I was expecting to see the names Royal Caribbean, Holland America, Princess, etc. Why did you suggest these three? Thanks!
They are all-inclusive which means that all drinks and tips are included. On Seabourn you only pay for the Spa and tours. On Regent you only pay for Spa. You can pay extra if you want really premium wines or liquors (you will pay for Oban single malt but not for Glenmorangie single malt for example). Unlimited champagne is included in the price. All three cruise lines have smaller ships with a lot of public space. On Seabourn, the largest is 450 passengers. Generally, the cabins are larger ... around 300 sq. ft is the smallest. There will be several restaurants and no extra charge for using them (unlike mass market). Service and quality of food are outstanding. Age range is generally 40 - 90.

They are expensive but your are getting a five star experience ..... and you did say cost no object.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-21-2012, 03:53 PM
 
Location: Salt Lake City
21,959 posts, read 22,113,760 times
Reputation: 10690
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggy001 View Post
They are all-inclusive which means that all drinks and tips are included. On Seabourn you only pay for the Spa and tours. On Regent you only pay for Spa. You can pay extra if you want really premium wines or liquors (you will pay for Oban single malt but not for Glenmorangie single malt for example). Unlimited champagne is included in the price.
The cost of drinks would be a non-issue since we don't drink.

Quote:
All three cruise lines have smaller ships with a lot of public space. On Seabourn, the largest is 450 passengers. Generally, the cabins are larger ... around 300 sq. ft is the smallest. There will be several restaurants and no extra charge for using them (unlike mass market). Service and quality of food are outstanding. Age range is generally 40 - 90.
That sounds nice!

Quote:
They are expensive but your are getting a five star experience ..... and you did say cost no object.
Well, I didn't exactly say that. What I said was, "Let's just assume that money is no object. I'm not saying that's the case, but for now, I am not thinking too much in terms of cost."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-21-2012, 07:57 PM
 
Location: Salt Lake City
21,959 posts, read 22,113,760 times
Reputation: 10690
Okay, I probably shouldn't have implied that money is no object, because it is. We're not wealthy. I just really don't know what our budget is quite yet, but I would like to start looking around at a cruise we could take sometime next year. So, based on my post #6, I'd still be interested in more input.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Cruises
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top