U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Cruises
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 11-22-2012, 11:33 AM
 
Location: In the sticks, SC
1,642 posts, read 4,531,603 times
Reputation: 1080

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertpolyglot View Post
We may be talking apples and oranges here. Seriously. If you're talking optional, as in $49 a day, then so be it. It's optional and you are not subsidizing the drinkers. If alcohol is included in the price of the cruise, then you can bet the price is padded to include that perk, so you are subsidizing the drinkers. You think they're going to take a hit on their bottom line to keep the booze flowing.

It's back accounting and statistics. There's no such thing as a free lunch. This is good stuff to know. It would tell me to avoid the all-inclusive cruise lines and the $49 a day all you can drink cruise lines. I just need a Coke or a Sprite.

As for being single and taking a cruise, I don't know anyone who would go single, and unaccompanied, on a more "serious" cruise, such as a New England/Eastern Canada cruise or one in the Mediterranean. I've never checked out the deck plans on these cruise lines to see how many one-bed cabins there are. Furthermore, you can bet that you will be assigned to a table where you might end up with people you would rather not be with, as could happen in a college dormitory. I could see singles doing that, in groups on a Caribbean or Mexico cruise, where many are going for the poolside and alcohol vibe. No thanks.
If your talking about the more upscale cruise lines which include alcohol in the price of the cruise, as Annerk mentioned, then it would be similar to going on an all inclusive land vacation. If you're hung up about "subsidizing" the drinkers, I guess neither vacation is for you.
As far as the single thing goes, again that is your preference but I personally have no hang ups about traveling alone. If I want to go somewhere I go, unless it SPECIFCALLY states couples only.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 11-23-2012, 06:54 AM
 
26,590 posts, read 54,713,149 times
Reputation: 13024
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertpolyglot View Post
It would tell me to avoid the all-inclusive cruise lines and the $49 a day all you can drink cruise lines. I just need a Coke or a Sprite.
If you think spending $100 on a hotel is too much, you'd go into cardiac arrest looking at the pricing for the "all inclusives" (which are the luxury lines.)

Quote:
As for being single and taking a cruise, I don't know anyone who would go single, and unaccompanied, on a more "serious" cruise, such as a New England/Eastern Canada cruise or one in the Mediterranean. I've never checked out the deck plans on these cruise lines to see how many one-bed cabins there are. Furthermore, you can bet that you will be assigned to a table where you might end up with people you would rather not be with, as could happen in a college dormitory. I could see singles doing that, in groups on a Caribbean or Mexico cruise, where many are going for the poolside and alcohol vibe. No thanks.
You always have the option to change your table if you don't like your table mates. On the upscale lines you also always have the option of sitting by yourself if you prefer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-23-2012, 12:30 PM
 
Location: Bella Vista, Ark
72,191 posts, read 83,916,460 times
Reputation: 41982
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertpolyglot View Post
If the pricing reflects this, then some number crunchers worked through the profile and alcohol consumption of their target market, and prices the cruises accordingly. Since I won't be partaking, I don't feel like subsidizing the drinkers through a higher cruise fare.

As for $49, I'm talking about the Florida panhandle, in places like Pensacola. There's little advantage to staying on Pensacola Beach for $149 to $249. On motel row in town, many of the chains offer great rates, especially with coupons, and all the restaurant choices are in town, and not on the barrier island. I'm not trying to impress anyone.

Best ad I ever saw was inside a Motel 6 lobby. Have I ever stayed at one? You bet. It was a poster sized ad inside a frame. The poster was pitch black. There was nothing in it, except the slogan: "When you're sleeping, we look just like those big, fancy hotels" followed by the Motel 6 logo. Touche.'

I have traveled by ship. I'm single so, you're right, I don't go on cruises.
How is anyone subsidizing drinkers if a program or plan is voluntary? That makes absolutely no sense...The lines where you would be paying but not consuming is the cruise line where alcohol is included in the price. These are usually the luxury lines. This also applies to All Inclusive resorts. The price includes alcohol and soft drinks.

BTW, a lot of people do cruise as singles. They normally have to pay twice the rate, with some lines offering periodical specials where the rate is only 150% more, but people do it all thet time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-07-2012, 09:08 PM
 
Location: NYPD"s 30th Precinct
2,453 posts, read 4,454,942 times
Reputation: 2467
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertpolyglot View Post
We may be talking apples and oranges here. Seriously. If you're talking optional, as in $49 a day, then so be it. It's optional and you are not subsidizing the drinkers. If alcohol is included in the price of the cruise, then you can bet the price is padded to include that perk, so you are subsidizing the drinkers. You think they're going to take a hit on their bottom line to keep the booze flowing.
Alcohol is not included in the price of these cruises, hence the $49/day optional plan. If you plan on drinking a lot, then buy it, if not, then pay per drink. Or do option C which is what I did: Empty out and fill large mouthwash bottles with liquor, add 2 drops of blue food coloring, good to go!

And as far as cruising, the Norwegian Epic and Breakaway have studios designed specifically for single travelers and now that I'm recently single myself, I'm looking seriously into taking one early next year.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-19-2012, 12:31 PM
 
Location: In the sticks, SC
1,642 posts, read 4,531,603 times
Reputation: 1080
Just got this in the gmail.......just in case someone wanted more info

Bottoms Up! A Guide to Cruise Line All-You-Can-Drink Packages - Cruises - Cruise Critic
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-22-2012, 06:11 AM
 
Location: Bella Vista, Ark
72,191 posts, read 83,916,460 times
Reputation: 41982
Quote:
Originally Posted by mongoslade223 View Post
Just got this in the gmail.......just in case someone wanted more info

Bottoms Up! A Guide to Cruise Line All-You-Can-Drink Packages - Cruises - Cruise Critic
We have a group of 10 going on the Pearl in 2 weeks. 4 of them (2 cabins) have decided to do the package. I think it depends on how much and what you drink, whether it is a good move. For us, we will be getting 3 bottles of wine in our cabin( gifts for various reasons) we usually drink a couple of drinks a day and will choose 2 for 1 drinks if they are things we enjoy, etc. For us it would not pay..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-15-2013, 01:50 PM
 
Location: Bella Vista, Ark
72,191 posts, read 83,916,460 times
Reputation: 41982
We just returned and it ended up none of our group chose the drink package, it just didn't seem to be the right deal for any of us. We are drinkers, for sure, but just not quite enough to justify $700 plus tips. What NCL dd offer, which is new and we loved it: a wine package. OK, we didn't take advantage cause we brought 5 bottles on board, but our daughter and SIL did use it: 6 bottles of wine for as little as $132 for the budget plan, $148 for the second level and $168 for the third or something like that. You could buy as few as 4 bottles or as many as 8. It comes to about $22 a bottle for the least expensive and is a heck of a lot easier than lugging the bottles on board. We spent, about the same amount, including corkage fee and had all that extra weight.

Nita
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-16-2013, 07:59 PM
 
Location: On the Edge of the Fringe
4,907 posts, read 3,990,627 times
Reputation: 4143
SO For our Upcoming Cruise, they have the Package on the Carnival ship we are attending. Cost for myself and the old lady would be $691 for the week.

We usually do not spend that much on Booze, close to it but not quite that much.

Consider that some places we go like Cozumel, are spent drinking in port. We do drink more on days at sea, but at 49 I would have to drink 8 bottles of beer, I usually only drink 4 or 5 a day on the cruise.

Still, it might be a good deal. It would indlude the wine at dinner, as well as evening cocktails while roaming the clubs.

I suspect with booze, shore excursions, tips, tokens for the gameroom, souveniers, I would expect about a 1200 tab on the ship when it is all said and done. Hope Capital one will give me some good points.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-01-2013, 10:26 PM
 
14,752 posts, read 28,694,753 times
Reputation: 8782
Quote:
Originally Posted by Febtober View Post
Alcohol is not included in the price of these cruises, hence the $49/day optional plan. If you plan on drinking a lot, then buy it, if not, then pay per drink. Or do option C which is what I did: Empty out and fill large mouthwash bottles with liquor, add 2 drops of blue food coloring, good to go!

And as far as cruising, the Norwegian Epic and Breakaway have studios designed specifically for single travelers and now that I'm recently single myself, I'm looking seriously into taking one early next year.
Or Option D, keep your cabin stocked with free ice cold water / a bucket of ice cubes, and order soft drinks at the bar. Those might even be free ... who knows.

As for lines, I'm only interested in Cunard transatlantic, Cunard New England/Eastern Canada, and Costa (yes, Costa) Western Med/Madeira/Canaries, and I'm NOT going on my own because no one I know has the time, money, and desire to take such a voyage. I do travel on terra ferma on my own without any problems, but an ocean liner voyage with at least a suit for dinner and the many formal events would make a single person seem out of place and probably make them depressed!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-02-2013, 05:16 AM
 
Location: NYPD"s 30th Precinct
2,453 posts, read 4,454,942 times
Reputation: 2467
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertpolyglot View Post
Or Option D, keep your cabin stocked with free ice cold water / a bucket of ice cubes, and order soft drinks at the bar. Those might even be free ... who knows.
I don't drink soft drinks, and I don't know which is worse, a wedding without alcohol, or a cruise without alcohol...

Quote:
but an ocean liner voyage with at least a suit for dinner and the many formal events would make a single person seem out of place and probably make them depressed!
Correction, it might make *you* depressed. Don't speak for everyone. I'm going on a cruise by myself in April and personally I can't wait to just sit out by the pool, meet new people, and not have to think about anything for a week after long and cold northeast winter.

Last edited by Febtober; 02-02-2013 at 05:27 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Cruises
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top