U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Cruises
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-02-2013, 06:00 AM

14,752 posts, read 28,620,281 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Febtober View Post
Correction, it might make *you* depressed. Don't speak for everyone. I'm going on a cruise by myself in April and personally I can't wait to just sit out by the pool, meet new people, and not have to think about anything for a week after long and cold northeast winter.
Well, if you're headed to the Caribbean, then that might suit you ... or even me, since the emphasis is on poolside and more casual. For the itineraries I want, I wouldn't try it. I have been to those places on my own, complete with rental car and chain hotels, where I am at liberty to do what I want, and eat in dives with the locals most of the times, so that works for me and doesn't feel odd. I'd just like to see them from the decks of a great ocean liner ... New York, Bar Harbor ME, Halifax, Quebec City, approaching the Solent at Southampton Water, Messina, Malta, Lisbon, Madeira, Gran Canaria ... what a sight that would be.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2013, 07:56 AM

26,590 posts, read 54,601,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertpolyglot View Post
Well, if you're headed to the Caribbean, then that might suit you ... or even me, since the emphasis is on poolside and more casual. For the itineraries I want, I wouldn't try it. I have been to those places on my own, complete with rental car and chain hotels, where I am at liberty to do what I want, and eat in dives with the locals most of the times, so that works for me and doesn't feel odd. I'd just like to see them from the decks of a great ocean liner ... New York, Bar Harbor ME, Halifax, Quebec City, approaching the Solent at Southampton Water, Messina, Malta, Lisbon, Madeira, Gran Canaria ... what a sight that would be.
I think you have a very romantic idea that will quickly be dispelled once you get on one of those ships and realize that it will be you and 2500 of your new best friends all jockeying for the same views.

Old 02-02-2013, 11:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
I think you have a very romantic idea that will quickly be dispelled once you get on one of those ships and realize that it will be you and 2500 of your new best friends all jockeying for the same views.
I sailed out of NYC on QE2 ONCE (the only time) and NOBODY blocked my view. I had the best "seat" in the house ... where the promenade deck rises up a level and is under the navigation bridge - from pulling out of the pier in Midtown Manhattan, past the WTC, past Ellis Island, past the Statue of Liberty, and moved to an upper open deck, along with everyone else, to see the funnel clear the Verrazano Bridge. And I didn't have to shove anybody out of the way to do so. We were a little snug, but we managed.

I don't have a romanticized idea about this. In fact, I have a very realistic idea, that being, that a single guy on one of the more formal voyages would be uncomfortable, unless it was the FLL to Bahamas, or LA to Mexico, "drink and throw up" singles cruises which would not interest me. I've also done the trip with my parents on other ships when I real little and had to be hoisted over the railing to see and, again, we didn't have to jockey for position. So, I'm not as naive as you think.

Old 02-02-2013, 12:08 PM

We were on a small luxury ship last year with three solo guys and two solo females. None of them seemed at all uncomfortable to be traveling alone, and they all spent time mingling with the other passengers both on the ship and on shore. This was in Europe and most definitely not a "drink and throw up" type of crowd.

Old 02-02-2013, 12:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
We were on a small luxury ship last year with three solo guys and two solo females. None of them seemed at all uncomfortable to be traveling alone, and they all spent time mingling with the other passengers both on the ship and on shore. This was in Europe and most definitely not a "drink and throw up" type of crowd.
I sort of think you missed the point. Say I'm in Montreal or Quebec City, I could duck into a popular Greek restaurant or a moderately priced creperie and take a meal, without having anyone look my way. I think that would be harder to accomplish on a cruise. I like "blending in" and NOT "standing out." If others feel they want to go on a cruise solo, and I know people do, they are welcome to do so, and I'm sure they'll have a great time, already having made that decision.

Old 02-02-2013, 12:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertpolyglot View Post
I sort of think you missed the point. Say I'm in Montreal or Quebec City, I could duck into a popular Greek restaurant or a moderately priced creperie and take a meal, without having anyone look my way. I think that would be harder to accomplish on a cruise. I like "blending in" and NOT "standing out." If others feel they want to go on a cruise solo, and I know people do, they are welcome to do so, and I'm sure they'll have a great time, already having made that decision.
No, you are missing my point. They mingled comfortably with other guests and were welcomed to tables at meals, at the bars, etc. Instead of "standing out" we all made sure no one felt "left out." That also went for "halves of couples." The husband of one couple and wife of another had medical conditions which caused them to stay behind on the ship on a lot of the port days, we all made sure the people who came ashore as "singles" felt included--the spouses who stayed behind had a great time being taken care of hand and foot by the service staff on the cruise who bent over backwards to make things special for them.

Old 12-25-2015, 09:59 PM

1,319 posts, read 1,183,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John1960 View Post
Norwegian Cruise Line is testing an all-inclusive drink package on three of its ships, Norwegian Sun, Norwegian Gem and Norwegian Jade, at $49 per person per day plus gratuity.

It's a trend among cruise lines that appears to be gaining momentum. In addition to Norwegian, Carnival Cruise Line, Celebrity, Royal Caribbean, Oceania and UK-based Thomson Cruises all offer some version of an all-you-can-drink package.

Norwegian Cruise Line Adds 'All You Can Drink' Option, Following Carnival, Celebrity, Royal Caribbean and Others - ABC News
If you look, you may be able to find the all inclusive alcohol package thrown in for free, especially if you book early.

We were on a Mediterranean cruise on the Jade in September and they gave us the all inclusive alcohol and specialty dining packages for free. However, we booked over 6 months in advance.

Since we had the all inclusive package, we were able to really enjoy ourselves with whatever drinks we wanted, whenever we wanted. I drank a fair amount of good gin and top shelf whiskey. At the end of the trip. our bill for the trip was only about $50 each. One interesting note, when I received my bill, I was a bit surprised that a cappuccino had ordered one night at dinner was not free.

I am not sure I would buy the package if priced at $49/day. However, it really is a personal decision. If you are going to drink 5 - 6 alcoholic drinks a day, it might be worth it.

Old 01-11-2016, 02:17 PM

71,968 posts, read 83,640,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MyTarge13 View Post
If you look, you may be able to find the all inclusive alcohol package thrown in for free, especially if you book early.

We were on a Mediterranean cruise on the Jade in September and they gave us the all inclusive alcohol and specialty dining packages for free. However, we booked over 6 months in advance.

Since we had the all inclusive package, we were able to really enjoy ourselves with whatever drinks we wanted, whenever we wanted. I drank a fair amount of good gin and top shelf whiskey. At the end of the trip. our bill for the trip was only about $50 each. One interesting note, when I received my bill, I was a bit surprised that a cappuccino had ordered one night at dinner was not free.

I am not sure I would buy the package if priced at $49/day. However, it really is a personal decision. If you are going to drink 5 - 6 alcoholic drinks a day, it might be worth it.
Yep, our last cruise (in Oct) we had the drink package as part of our fare and have it plus the dinner package on our next cruise which is months away. I don't know if we really drank that much more than we would have if we were paying for our drinks, but it sure was convenient. And yes, you are right, the specialty coffee drinks are not included. I think that is pretty stupid to be honest.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Cruises