U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Cruises
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-14-2012, 08:11 AM

21,318 posts, read 21,877,253 times

Advertisements

If only there was a way to cruise SE Alaska in style and at a reasonable cost without being subjected to all those mobs of tourons you'd be subjected to at every port...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2012, 08:17 AM

26,590 posts, read 54,577,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghengis View Post
If only there was a way to cruise SE Alaska in style and at a reasonable cost without being subjected to all those mobs of tourons you'd be subjected to at every port...
Take the first or last cruise of the season and choose a luxury ship like Regent. They usually offer some great fares during shoulder season.

Old 12-14-2012, 05:57 PM

8,178 posts, read 16,545,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghengis View Post
Alaska Marine Highway System :: Official Site :: Alaska DOT&PF

There ya go....this is what we're looking into for our next one.

Old 12-14-2012, 06:45 PM

2,291 posts, read 4,944,698 times
Thanks everyone, some real good information...and...Motordave, the pics are beautiful! I wanna go!

Old 12-16-2012, 11:03 AM

71,919 posts, read 83,581,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WellShoneMoon View Post
I don't have a recommendation regarding a cruise line, but having cruised Alaska twice, I have the following suggestions:

1. I wouldn't pay extra for a balcony, just get an outside room with a good-size window that you can sit in front of. It was too cold outside, even in midsummer, to make use of the balcony. Go up on deck if you want to sit outside.

2. If you go to Alaska and don't visit Denali park, you've wasted your money. The cruise experience is great, but Denali park is spectacular.

3. Take along some warm outer wear, even if you're going in midsummer. The first time I went it was over July 4th week, and when the ship came near to glaciers and I was up on deck to see the action, I was freezing! You need a hat, gloves, heavy jacket, all that stuff.

4. The Inside Passage is very calm and nice, but getting across the Gulf of Alaska (if your cruise departs from or ends up in Seward) can be very very rough.
I agree with much of what you say but not everything: 1-I always judge the importance of a balc based on price and I told my clients this when I was an agent: if the price is $100 a person different, go for the balc, otherwise you can get good views from the upper decks of the ship. 2-Danali park, can be worth the money or not, depending on what you expect to get out of it and see. I know some who wouldn't do it any other way and others who say, for the extra cost and the long train or bus ride, it isn't really worth it. Your other 2 points I completely agree with, especially point 4. We did Alaska in early June on a rather small ship. it was awesome until we got to the last 2 days, then it was super rough.

Old 12-16-2012, 11:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by motordavid View Post

All good points I had forgotten to include in my 50Cts.

In Skagway, we rented from Sourdough Car Rental, (pre-ordered so they had a car), and did the ride north out of Skagway on CDA Rt 2, up into the Yukon Territory to Emerald Lake, Caribou Crossing, etc. A very scenic, easy half day, in landscapes you won't see often and won't forget.

Also in Skagway we hooked up with Temsco Helicopter for a couple hour shot to Meade Glacier: it is worth the cost, imo.
Temsco Helicopters, Inc.

I realize the OP and most people have a 'budget', but how often does one do a trip to AK?

GL, mD
Great pics. we did a mini van tour in skagway, very similar to your renting a car; I would recommend either over the popular train ride. you see more for about 1/2 the cost..

Old 12-16-2012, 11:28 AM

26,590 posts, read 54,577,614 times
I think going to Denali or not depends on how much you've traveled and where in the past. If your idea of wildlife is a party and you think of the Ozarks as high peaks, then don't miss Denali.

I've you've spent time in the Rockies, Alps, Pyrenees, or Himalayas, then you might be underwhelmed.

Old 12-16-2012, 01:36 PM

2,292 posts, read 2,642,459 times
Just checking in with a comment about timing, May in Alaska is still border season so not all the tree's will have budded out and it may look pretty gray, you may run into some warm sunny days but otherwise you will need at least a coat and maybe hat and gloves too. August is the beginning of Alaska's rainy season and once those clouds come down you won't see mountain tops for days.

Personally I would go for June if the option is there.

The Alaska Marine Highway is an option however from experience its as expensive as a cruise but without the time in port to visit and sight see. We totally missed the glaciers in Prince William sound as we sailed past them at night, the Marine Highway is run as a means of transportation so isn't geared to sight-seeing.

Old 12-16-2012, 04:27 PM

3,752 posts, read 7,483,383 times
We just booked for a family of 4 late August on Celebrity. We booked Concierge class with a balcony, and I am excited. The excursions are steeply priced so doing my research to see how we can save but make the most of the trip. Originally from FL, but living in MN so the cold is not much of an issue - but I can give my FL friends some tips.

Old 12-17-2012, 10:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
I think going to Denali or not depends on how much you've traveled and where in the past. If your idea of wildlife is a party and you think of the Ozarks as high peaks, then don't miss Denali.

I've you've spent time in the Rockies, Alps, Pyrenees, or Himalayas, then you might be underwhelmed.
you made me smile with your comment about the Ozarks..I was raised in So Ca, went to the University of Colo and lived in NM for 7 years. Now we are in NWA, with the Ozarks and I laughed at people who talk about the Ozarks as being mountains. The area is beautiful but there are no mountains, just a lot of rolling hills, at best.. You probably have it down pretty well; it depends on what you have experienced in life.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Cruises