U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Cruises
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-07-2014, 05:59 AM

9,284 posts, read 9,353,536 times

Advertisements

I'm not a huge fan of cruises. If there had been another way to see most of Alaska quickly, we might have done that.

Having said all of that, we sailed on Princess back in June of 2013. On the whole, it was a good experience. The food and restaurant choices aboard the ship were good to excellent. The entertainment was varied including hour long dancing and singing productions along with plenty of talks about Alaska by naturalists, dog sled racers, and historians.

Princess offered us a swinging deal to take the cruise. We essential paid about $950 a person for a seven day cruise, followed by a four day tour into the interior of Alaska which included nights at national park lodges and a one night stay in Anchorage at the Captain Cook Hotel.

While I am not a fan of cruises, if it was the right deal, I'd sail with Princess again.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2014, 11:47 AM

26,590 posts, read 54,787,689 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkgourmet View Post
From your posts, it's clear that you are part of the 2% that can afford to do the luxury lines.

I think it's fair to say that the rest of us prefer to enjoy ourselves now, rather than wait years saving our pennies to afford that luxury cruise on Regent. Hell, I could croak long before I actually got to go!
We afford it by not spending money in other parts of our life. We drive modest, fuel efficient cars, don't eat out often, and don't buy a new wardrobe for each cruise. We alternate cruise years with less expensive travel years, and don't take three cruises a year. I suspect that many who claim to not be able to afford a luxury cruise could do so if they lived like we do.

Old 02-09-2014, 11:13 AM

72,343 posts, read 84,118,548 times
Quote:
From your posts, it's clear that you are part of the 2% that can afford to do the luxury lines.

I think it's fair to say that the rest of us prefer to enjoy ourselves now, rather than wait years saving our pennies to afford that luxury cruise on Regent. Hell, I could croak long before I actually got to go!
As some of us know, you being one of them, luxury cruising isn't for everyone. For us, like you, we like to enjoy our lives and are perfectly happy with our mass market lines. To each his own. Like most here, I am sure, we live a modest life, have a very nice, but not pricey home, drive mid priced cars and don't throw our money away. We still feel we would be over extending ourselves if we choose a luxury cruise. When I was still an agent, I did sell luxury cruises, of course and most of the clients loved the experience, but I had a lot of clients that could afford top of the line, but enjoyed sailing mass marketed lines because if nothing else, they liked the type of passengers that cruised with them. They seemed to be more down to earth.

Old 02-10-2014, 06:49 PM

1,747 posts, read 3,212,014 times
Quote:
Actually, I'd say that Alaska is much more about the scenery outside the ship than the ports. When we did the inside passage, we were underwhelmed by the ports and disliked the crowds (and we sailed in mid May shoulder season with spectacular, sunny weather).

We'd do the inside passage again, but doubt we would get off at many of the ports.
We don't usually spend much time in the port community itself and get away from them most of the time. Not getting off the ship because you don't like the port would be like cutting off your nose to spite your face. You need to get off at the port to be able to explore beyond it. If just sitting on the ship without getting off is your thing, so be it. I'd rather get off and do some glacier trekking, hiking, kayaking, bear viewing, plus the extra scenery that you won't see from the ship. To each their own.

Old 02-11-2014, 10:19 AM

15,143 posts, read 19,182,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chilkoot View Post
We don't usually spend much time in the port community itself and get away from them most of the time. Not getting off the ship because you don't like the port would be like cutting off your nose to spite your face. You need to get off at the port to be able to explore beyond it. If just sitting on the ship without getting off is your thing, so be it. I'd rather get off and do some glacier trekking, hiking, kayaking, bear viewing, plus the extra scenery that you won't see from the ship. To each their own.
Valid points, but at our age and with joints that need replacing, we're not doing kayaking in ice cold water, hiking or glacier trekking.

Old 02-11-2014, 10:39 AM

Quote:
Valid points, but at our age and with joints that need replacing, we're not doing kayaking in ice cold water, hiking or glacier trekking.
Same with us; we have 2 purposes for cruising: 1 is to just relax and have someone else do the planning for us. We can unpack, enjoy doing what we want and someone else does the driving. We can eat as much or as little as we want, can choose the meals that come with the cruise price or choose to upgrade: we can see a show each night without driving anywhere and we can play games during the day or just relax and catch up on good reading. 2-we can see other places while someone else transports us. Some people really enjoy getting off the ship in every port. For them, that is great, for us, yes, joint problems plus a few other issues, has slowed us down. We do tours, we do walk around in most ports, but some we really have no reason to visit. Either we have seen them many times or we have heard enough to know we really can enjoy the peace and quiet of the ship that day.

Old 02-11-2014, 12:07 PM

1,747 posts, read 3,212,014 times
Quote:
Certainly understand that. We have begun limiting our activities as well and can see we will reluctantly continue reducing some of the things we enjoy as we age. I suppose they will be replaced with other things that we also enjoy like the scenery.

Old 02-11-2014, 01:09 PM

Quote:
Certainly understand that. We have begun limiting our activities as well and can see we will reluctantly continue reducing some of the things we enjoy as we age. I suppose they will be replaced with other things that we also enjoy like the scenery.
as the years go by, we all find we have limits. We are just beginning to really see this now. There was a time when travel meant something exciting each day and sight seeing by the hours. Then we started doing less and less. now, we are very limited. On cruises we usually pick out a couple of ports for touring, and usually a bus trip or something like that. We might get off a ship and walk around a little, but if it is a port we have visited many times, as I said earlier we just enjoy the peace and quiet of the ship.

Old 02-11-2014, 11:03 PM

39,743 posts, read 48,082,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
as the years go by, we all find we have limits. We are just beginning to really see this now. There was a time when travel meant something exciting each day and sight seeing by the hours. Then we started doing less and less. now, we are very limited. On cruises we usually pick out a couple of ports for touring, and usually a bus trip or something like that. We might get off a ship and walk around a little, but if it is a port we have visited many times, as I said earlier we just enjoy the peace and quiet of the ship.
^^^Agree 100%. In our later stages of life we are doing what a cruise ship does best, cruising, and we're cruising along too and enjoying what we can.

Old 02-13-2014, 06:00 PM

26,590 posts, read 54,787,689 times
Quote:
At most ports I would agree. Nassau is perhaps an exception. Yuck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Cruises