Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Cruises
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-14-2013, 01:28 PM

23,769 posts, read 28,891,452 times

Advertisements

So now Carnival will attempt to bring the ship in much delayed and under cover of darkness due to "high winds". More likely is that Carnival doesn't want 3,000 green-faced, poopie-pants refugees strung out along the deck leading off the evening news tonight.

Moor delay: Carnival
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2013, 03:33 PM

26,585 posts, read 61,862,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ram2 View Post
Where is the US Coast Guard?
There has been a cutter along side the ship for two days now. They have not boarded. Today they delivered some supplies.

Old 02-14-2013, 04:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asheville1 View Post
It's kinda weird when folks opt for the Balcony Option "just in case". If that's whet cruising has come to, I don't want any part of it.

Even stranger, Carnival offered all passengers a full refund and voucher for another Carnival trip. I think for most passengers, giving Carnival another shot is the last thing they'd consider. I think I heard on this morning's news that Carnival is topping that offer with a additional $500. Big whoop.

I suppose we're going to see more and more of these cruise ship disasters, as there are more on the seas than ever before. It's just a matter of odds.

Carnival should partner with a airline, such as American, and offer a 1-2k voucher for every passenger. I hadn't thought about this until now, but I'll bet there's something in the ticket language ("contract") that prohibits passengers from suing in events such as this. Buyer Beware.
What good would an airline voucher do? Carnival is paying their travel costs home.

Old 02-14-2013, 04:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimhcom View Post
Neither option is completely safe; the question is which is safer. There has been a nothing reported that I know of concerning rough seas, and the listing problem is a matter of degrees. How much exactly is the ship listing?
If it is a considerable amount then the passengers are at risk of falling off decks and stairwells. If it is a minimal amount it will not affect tendering. Cruise ships routinely tender the majority of passengers to and from ports where docking is not available, providing they are not in rough water tendering with proper precautions is not any more dangerous than feeding them in an environment contaminated with feces.
Another expensive but feasible option would be to tender by helicopter as cruise ships have helicopter pads. This would be a good option for the elderly and people with medical conditions which may be at extreme risk to bacterial infection.
The real issue is not that it is not possible to get these people off the ship; it is what it would cost.
One of the reports I read was that the list was 4.5 degrees. I believe that the seas have gotten fairly choppy and there's a strong current.

Old 02-14-2013, 05:02 PM

5,296 posts, read 7,212,411 times
live video

http://www.montgomeryadvertiser.com/...nclick_check=1

Old 02-14-2013, 06:36 PM

On Carnival Cruise Lines, all decks are now the poop deck...arrrghh.

Old 02-14-2013, 06:40 PM

61,289 posts, read 87,150,906 times
a fatal mistake lack of maintenance.
mine was delayed on return a day just last month for this reason.
cutting corners on maintenance is not working for carnival.

Old 02-14-2013, 07:00 PM

after a bit of a drop after the Costa disaster, CCL stock immediately rebounded and I'm guessing we'll see a similar outcome this time.

Carnival Stock

I smell a great opportunity and revenues will be lost if Carnival doesn't capitalize on the obvious marketing strategy available and enlist Triumph the Insult Comic Dog as a new company spokes-dog to reap the rewards laid at their feet.

from Wiki...

Triumph the Insult Comic Dog: Come Poop With Me

Old 02-14-2013, 07:50 PM

560 posts, read 1,545,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by colcat View Post
Truth is...sh** happens. This will not lessen my desire to cruise. I absolutely love it!
Lucky you! I have never ever had any desire to go on a Cruise, not even if they give it to me for free. It could be because the idea of being surrounded by so many people in the middle of nowhere does not appeal to me. It could also be that I have a fear of water and don't even know how to swim. But all this is not to say I love flying but compared to cruising, I will take flying any day.

Old 02-14-2013, 10:22 PM

18,837 posts, read 37,234,968 times
This reinforces my opinion on cruises. I do not like to be contained, or trapped anywhere. If I don't like a hotel or restaurant, I can leave...a boat? You are stuck. I went on a few cruises, and really, just was not impressed. If I want to go someplace I can fly or drive there...stay in a nice hotel, enjoy checking things out. No schedule of having to be some place at a certain time, and show "papers".

As for a free cruise after that experience? Ha. No thank you!!!!! Those are some vouchers that will be for sale or given away...or whatever.

Yes, things happen. But a cruise line demonstrates the complete lack of preparation for safety and zero on customer service. No evacuation plan or contingency plan for a crisis. That is scary.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Cruises