Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Cruises
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-10-2013, 08:48 AM

23,766 posts, read 29,058,499 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
That is beyond paranoid and so incredibly improbable that even considering it is laughable. There are much easier ways to find out if someone will be out of town.

I don't believe you've ever been on a cruise ship in your life, and are reaching for any far fetched excuse to try to avoid stating this. You seem to have some sort of incredible distaste for cruising, that's fine. But until you've actually sailed on a cruise ship, I think it's rather ridiculous to keep going on about them--particularly when many of the statements you've made as fact are so incredibly inaccurate.
it could be that she's generally concerned about the industry but is simply too scared to go out onto the gigantic ocean on something so relatively tiny as a cruise ship, remember what happened to the Titanic and Poseidon?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2013, 12:32 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,739,062 times
Quote:
That is beyond paranoid and so incredibly improbable that even considering it is laughable. There are much easier ways to find out if someone will be out of town.

I don't believe you've ever been on a cruise ship in your life, and are reaching for any far fetched excuse to try to avoid stating this. You seem to have some sort of incredible distaste for cruising, that's fine. But until you've actually sailed on a cruise ship, I think it's rather ridiculous to keep going on about them--particularly when many of the statements you've made as fact are so incredibly inaccurate.
and my guess is you are about right on. of course no one is going to start matching any of us, with the cruises we have or have not been on and try to hard us in anyway. That is totally nuts!!!

I think he would be taken more seriously if he would just admit he has never cruised or tell us what ships he has sailed and what he did and did like about his cruises. Most of us here, do post to either get advise or get advise.

Old 05-10-2013, 05:12 PM

12,406 posts, read 18,972,661 times
This is absurd. I will not be pressured by members on this thread to post something that I have no desire to do. It's not anyone's concern and would mean anything. I could post the ships that I have been on and you'd still have no way to know if I am being truthful.

Frankly, I could not care less about this foolishness, and I might wonder if this is a low attempt to distract the posts of cruise ship problems, so here is another for your pleasure:

Search ends for 2 Australian Carnival cruise ship passengers | Fox News

There is no evidence that Carnival did anything wrong.
Does anyone believe in voodoo curses?

Old 05-10-2013, 07:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldengrain View Post
This is absurd. I will not be pressured by members on this thread to post something that I have no desire to do. It's not anyone's concern and would mean anything. I could post the ships that I have been on and you'd still have no way to know if I am being truthful.

Frankly, I could not care less about this foolishness, and I might wonder if this is a low attempt to distract the posts of cruise ship problems, so here is another for your pleasure:

Search ends for 2 Australian Carnival cruise ship passengers | Fox News

There is no evidence that Carnival did anything wrong.
Does anyone believe in voodoo curses?
as a demonstrated crusader against the evil Carnival Lords of Darkness, why would you now attribute this instance as a result of some other black magic? missed opportunity for you.

Old 05-11-2013, 10:15 AM

26,585 posts, read 62,043,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghengis View Post
it could be that she's generally concerned about the industry but is simply too scared to go out onto the gigantic ocean on something so relatively tiny as a cruise ship, remember what happened to the Titanic and Poseidon?
Which is fine. I respect that. But to continue to imply that someone has direct experience with something and continue to post things that are completely false and ridiculously absurd is just wrong.

Old 05-11-2013, 10:41 AM

Quote:
Which is fine. I respect that. But to continue to imply that someone has direct experience with something and continue to post things that are completely false and ridiculously absurd is just wrong.
well yeah, there is that

Old 05-15-2013, 03:33 PM

1,448 posts, read 3,050,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chatteress View Post
I've always wanted to try cruising but was continues to hold me back are the following:

1. Double occupancy rates which would cost me nearly double as a single cruiser
2. Dates never seem to coincide with the time I can take off
3. All the ships out of LA (where I live) all travel to Mexico so if I want to see something else, I'd have to fly to another port.

Although I realize that Carnival seems to be the only line with issues of late, the incidents have caused me to think about whether cruising would be wise considering that I do not know how to swim. I still would be willing to give cruising a try on a different line but the three things I've listed above continues to hold me back.
I don't know about other cruise lines, but at the moment, Norwegian Epic (with Breakaway, Getaway, and Pride of America to join in the near future) doesn't have single supplement surcharge. Moreover, the ship offers solo travelers with a special enticement: their own lounge where other passengers (families and couples) cannot access. My son (34) and my niece (39), truly enjoyed "The Living Room", a beautiful share private lounge where they spent most of the time hanging out with other single adults. Unfortunately, Epic doesn't sail from LA so it wouldn't be convenient for you.

However, from LA, you still can travel on a cruise to MANY other destinations aside from Mexico: Panama Canal, Cartagena, Jamaica, Belize, St. Maarten, St. Thomas, Aruba, Curacao, Nassau, St. Kitts, Tortola, St. John, Martinique, Azores, London, Helsingborg (Sweeden), Copenhagen, Berlin, Helsinki, Stockholm, St. Petersburg (Russia, not Florida), Tallinn (Estonia), etc. Those are only from Norwegian, I'm sure there are a whole lot more destinations from other cruise lines.

In addition, there are cruises out of LA every month of the year. I can understand your reluctance to cruise based on other reasons (not swimming though, I'm also a non-swimmer and I've been on more than a dozen cruises in the last 5 years) but dates and destinations should not be an obstacle.

Last edited by Ol' Wanderer; 05-15-2013 at 03:46 PM..

Old 05-16-2013, 10:32 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,739,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ol' Wanderer View Post
I don't know about other cruise lines, but at the moment, Norwegian Epic (with Breakaway, Getaway, and Pride of America to join in the near future) doesn't have single supplement surcharge. Moreover, the ship offers solo travelers with a special enticement: their own lounge where other passengers (families and couples) cannot access. My son (34) and my niece (39), truly enjoyed "The Living Room", a beautiful share private lounge where they spent most of the time hanging out with other single adults. Unfortunately, Epic doesn't sail from LA so it wouldn't be convenient for you.

However, from LA, you still can travel on a cruise to MANY other destinations aside from Mexico: Panama Canal, Cartagena, Jamaica, Belize, St. Maarten, St. Thomas, Aruba, Curacao, Nassau, St. Kitts, Tortola, St. John, Martinique, Azores, London, Helsingborg (Sweeden), Copenhagen, Berlin, Helsinki, Stockholm, St. Petersburg (Russia, not Florida), Tallinn (Estonia), etc. Those are only from Norwegian, I'm sure there are a whole lot more destinations from other cruise lines.

In addition, there are cruises out of LA every month of the year. I can understand your reluctance to cruise based on other reasons (not swimming though, I'm also a non-swimmer and I've been on more than a dozen cruises in the last 5 years) but dates and destinations should not be an obstacle.
My guess, she just hasn't considered the positive side of cruising. The only negative, traveling alone is still the cost, but this is true almost everywhere. Hotels do offer a slight discount for singles, but only a few$$ at most. Organized tour prices are based on double occupancy. And yes, there are many places to cruise, regardless of where one lives.

I have friends that are non swimmers that cruise all the time, hubby is almost a non swimmer, he has to be able to touch the bottom before he will attempt to swim and my cousin is a non swimmer. They all cruise. Hubby has been on over 20 cruises.

I hope, between your response and mine, Chatteress will decide to give cruising a try.

Old 05-22-2013, 12:09 PM

541 posts, read 1,995,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cwby-rod View Post
With the latest Carnival problem in St Martin my group has decided not to cruise in 2013. We will spend our vacation money in another way. Do others feel this way?
Well, I just canceled my Disney Dream cruise for the fall after reading about their handling of this incident:

Disney Cruise Line failed to promptly notify police that crew member molested an 11-year-old girl in August: report* - NY Daily News

Shame on you Disney.

Old 05-22-2013, 07:08 PM

Goofy!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Cruises