Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Cruises
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-08-2013, 12:28 PM

77,772 posts, read 104,433,328 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldengrain View Post
I am a great proponent of being fiscally responsible. I think if you don't have a sizable emergency fund you should not be taking vacations - yes, or travel insurance. The thing is, if people save and invest well during their lives many will reach a point in which they may not need to incur the additional expenses of travel or long term care insurance.

That may seem like an extreme view to many, but to me it is just taking care of business and setting priorities properly.

Maybe for some 'taking care of business' might mean to avoid the bargain brand cruises, as well?
I can't believe what you are saying: it sounds like you are saying, if someone can't afford to be air lifted with 25 grand or so sitting around they should not be taking vacations??? Please don't tell me that is what you mean...I don't have any clue what business you are in or your age, but there are people who work very hard, deserve vacations but do not have a lot of money sitting around. I guess they should take their earned vacation from work or whatever and sit on their front porch watching the blackbirds fly around. Man do you seem to live in a make believe world..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2013, 12:49 PM

23,769 posts, read 28,950,682 times
there should be a less expensive option to remove someone from a ship, maybe a large baloon?

Old 04-08-2013, 04:37 PM

12,406 posts, read 18,935,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
If you are picked up by helicopter at your home for a ride to a trauma center 15 miles away, expect a $10K bill. I would expect a chopper ride off a cruise ship could be $50K or more.
Well, in an emergency, as long as you can afford it, that's fine. Otherwise, just buy travel insurance. Is it expensive, I wonder?

Old 04-08-2013, 04:44 PM

12,406 posts, read 18,935,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
I can't believe what you are saying: it sounds like you are saying, if someone can't afford to be air lifted with 25 grand or so sitting around they should not be taking vacations??? Please don't tell me that is what you mean...I don't have any clue what business you are in or your age, but there are people who work very hard, deserve vacations but do not have a lot of money sitting around. I guess they should take their earned vacation from work or whatever and sit on their front porch watching the blackbirds fly around. Man do you seem to live in a make believe world..
No, I live in a very practical world, and there are a lot of us who do. To show how popular keeping a cash reserve for emergencies is, just watch Suze Orman. She recommends, I believe, an eight month salary to be set apart. Until that time, and until your retirement investments are on a par with your age AND you are able to meet your monthly expenses, including paying down debts - you should not eve be thinking of extras, like vacations.

Hey, whatever works for you. Many people are losing jobs in today's economy, especially when they are older and less employable. You don't know what the future will bring, do you? In my opinion, and I am not alone, if you don't take care of yourself, don't expect others to somewhere down the road.

I have had friends who have worked hard and played hard, but unfortunately never saved hard. They are now suffering for their lack of forethought. Thought the gravy train would go on forever.

These ideas cannot be new to anyone, after seeing the recession we have gone through, and are still in. You must have heard of the tent cities on the NW coast?

I'm really sorry if this upsets you, and I know people don't discuss finances often enough, but we are living in a shaky world, economically speaking and the frugal saver of years ago, and portfolio recommendations, may not be adequate for the needs of people in the future. I would be very careful with splurging these days unless you know you have an adequate nest egg. Priorities.

Old 04-09-2013, 07:13 AM

23,769 posts, read 28,950,682 times
Quote:
No, I live in a very practical world, and there are a lot of us who do. To show how popular keeping a cash reserve for emergencies is, just watch Suze Orman. She recommends, I believe, an eight month salary to be set apart. Until that time, and until your retirement investments are on a par with your age AND you are able to meet your monthly expenses, including paying down debts - you should not eve be thinking of extras, like vacations.

Hey, whatever works for you. Many people are losing jobs in today's economy, especially when they are older and less employable. You don't know what the future will bring, do you? In my opinion, and I am not alone, if you don't take care of yourself, don't expect others to somewhere down the road.

I have had friends who have worked hard and played hard, but unfortunately never saved hard. They are now suffering for their lack of forethought. Thought the gravy train would go on forever.

These ideas cannot be new to anyone, after seeing the recession we have gone through, and are still in. You must have heard of the tent cities on the NW coast?

I'm really sorry if this upsets you, and I know people don't discuss finances often enough, but we are living in a shaky world, economically speaking and the frugal saver of years ago, and portfolio recommendations, may not be adequate for the needs of people in the future. I would be very careful with splurging these days unless you know you have an adequate nest egg. Priorities.
great advice, don't vacation and save every cent so that when you are well enough off you can hire a nurse to push you around in a wheel chair and occasionally empty your drool cup.

Old 04-09-2013, 07:54 AM

Quote:

oh for heavens sake, no one is talking about not saving for the future or not having reserves, we are talking about $25,000 or more to be air lifted and your saying, if you can't afford that you should not take a vacation...Your comments are pretty illogical in my view. That is why we do take insurance, and it is not all that expensive if you think of the alternatives.

Old 04-09-2013, 09:10 AM

26,585 posts, read 61,931,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
There are some people who take vacations and shouldn't. The ones who don't pay bills in order to ahve vacation money, the ones who takes cruises and don't buy trip insurance, the ones who do'nt ahve two cents to rub together and have zero savings.

Nobody DESERVES a vacation. Nobody NEEDS a vacation.

Vacations should be saved for, and only when there is enough in savings to cover the cost of the vacation, without wiping out the savings account or maxing out the credit cards, should a vacation be taken.

Old 04-09-2013, 09:11 AM

26,585 posts, read 61,931,227 times
Quote:
Well, in an emergency, as long as you can afford it, that's fine. Otherwise, just buy travel insurance. Is it expensive, I wonder?
Given the financial risks involved without it, I think it's very affordable.

I want to think we paid about $800 for the two of us for a $20K, three week vacation last summer. Well worth the peace of mind.

Old 04-09-2013, 10:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
There are some people who take vacations and shouldn't. The ones who don't pay bills in order to ahve vacation money, the ones who takes cruises and don't buy trip insurance, the ones who do'nt ahve two cents to rub together and have zero savings.

Nobody DESERVES a vacation. Nobody NEEDS a vacation.

Vacations should be saved for, and only when there is enough in savings to cover the cost of the vacation, without wiping out the savings account or maxing out the credit cards, should a vacation be taken.
actually I agree and yet disagree with you.. You are right, there are those who wipe out everything just for a few weeks in Europe or a cruise, whatever. They have no extra funds and should be planning a less expensive vacation but I also do think everyone who works does deserve a vacation, be it a camping trip, a few days at the beach or money allowing a month touring So America, whatever. We can not be expected to spend our lives behind a desk or building houses. We all need a break..

So, though we should not go into debt for a vacation we should take them, in some form annually. And of course, those of us who are seasoned travelers know how important insurance is...Those who want to gamble, well, they are the ones we hope do have enough saved to bail them out if something happens.

Old 04-09-2013, 11:06 AM

44,590 posts, read 61,412,482 times
Our insurance for the 2 of us on a 2 week cruise was only $349.00 and it covered everything. As a matter of fact on one of our planned trips I had a heart problem 2 days before departure and had to cancel. The insurance company reimbursed 100% of the costs minus the insurance fee. All i had to do was submit the doctor report.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Cruises